Coaches boxes | Syracusefan.com

Coaches boxes

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
are they staying the same or will they be changing in the "new" Dome? I know opposing coaches that hate the set up and think it is the most amateur thing they experience when they come here. Sorry if this is common knowledge and I should know already.

Hah! It is kind of ridiculous to see the coaches all crammed into those tiny boxes. I sometimes wonder if they get any fresh air up there.

when the building is done and they can bow out walls, i wonder if they can do more up there anyway. i would think they could even add some sky box seating about that 3rd deck if they wanted too

are they staying the same or will they be changing in the "new" Dome? I know opposing coaches that hate the set up and think it is the most amateur thing they experience when they come here. Sorry if this is common knowledge and I should know already.
I read or was told that they are planning on adding an elevator for the coaches so they don’t have to walk through the stands to and from the boxes. I think that is a phase 2 objective.

Gives me hope fans might be able someday to access the 300 level from the top down. They would be a nice improvement to reduce congestion in the upper concourse.

That is a new, undocumented feature of the Cuse sports app. If you want in on the beta, let me know.

That sounds like a fun promotion...

"Call-a-play sponsored by Sbarro's". The lucky 44th contestant gets to pick a play to call during next year's FCS game.

when the building is done and they can bow out walls, i wonder if they can do more up there anyway. i would think they could even add some sky box seating about that 3rd deck if they wanted too
Unfortunately because the new roof is basically anchored to the same ring truss, space for adding sky box seating is limited to the end zones where the seating doesn't go all the way to the top. That would still require blowing out the walls on those sides to create enough room. But it certainly sounds a lot more appealing than trying to displace 200-level STHs which is the other place they are considering boxes.

Blowing out the walls should be 1 and 1a on the list of things they want to do next. Just as the new roof enables certain things to happen, moving the walls out opens up so many other possibilities. It worries me that air conditioning and removing pee troughs seems to be getting all the attention. Priorities!

Unfortunately because the new roof is basically anchored to the same ring truss, space for adding sky box seating is limited to the end zones where the seating doesn't go all the way to the top. That would still require blowing out the walls on those sides to create enough room.

Blowing out the walls should be 1 and 1a on the list of things they want to do next. Just as the new roof enables certain things to happen, moving the walls out opens up so many other possibilities. It worries me that air conditioning seems to be getting all the attention. It can wait, and you know what? It wouldn't be so unbearable in there on those hot days if we weren't packed like sardines in the concourses.
Agreed. AC is not very important.

Let's teleport to September 18th, 2020.

The new roof is in place. The new sound system is in place. You can hear everything and Mr Excitement never sounded this good before.
The beautiful new central scoreboard is in place. Video replays are amazing.
The ribbon scoreboards might be enhanced and maybe out of town scores and game stats during the game will finally be well done.
The new lighting system is in place. A state of the art wifi system makes using your smart phone a pleasant, wonderful experience and the Cuse app is truly usable in the Dome to get great info and bling while you watch the game.

What problems remain?

Super cramped concourses, worse than ever given the big crowds that now come to every game
Low quality, limited choice food selection at concession stands (this might be partly improved by then)
No bathrooms in the end zone areas (this might be fixed by then)
The super efficient, well loved stainless steel urinal troughs will be replaced by inefficient, inferior single urinals. Pee time will be doubled or tripled.
Seating remains uncomfortable. Hard metal seats everywhere. No seat backs on the 300 level unless you pay for a rental booster seat
No air conditioning
Parking is worse than ever as the university continues to convert open parking lots west of the stadium into ugly buildings inspired by the penal system of the area formerly known as East Germany

If I could prioritize these issues, this is the order I would attack them:

Expand the footprint of the Dome as much as possible.

Make the concourses twice as wide on the north and south sides of the stadium and really open them up on the east and west (end zone) sides. Think big food courts, with tables, open space, maybe a restaurant or two, lots of room to sit, eat and talk.

Rip out the awful single urinals just installed and replace them with the stainless steel troughs the fans want. Better yet, just don't do it. If there are no bathrooms in the end zones yet, add them. I don't go to the bathroom at games almost ever, but a lot of people do and it is a real pain to have to walk so far to make a visit if you are sitting in an end zone (or near mid court for basketball, where this is really a problem).

Sever the relationship with SU food services for food and bring in a company that specializes in providing food to people in stadiums. If possible, choose a food company that will work with local restaurants to feature local specialties as part of the menu. There should be chicken riggies, salt potatoes, stretch bread with spicy oil, Columbus bread with meatballs, Gannon's ice cream, etc.

Regarding seating, replace the bench seating with individual seats with the proviso that the seat backs for the 300 level should not be high enough so they are constantly smashing intro the knees of everyone more than 5'6 tall. There needs to be room for people enter and leave their seats without making everyone in the row stand and contort their body backwards.

Air conditioning is last on my list. It matters maybe once or twice a year to me. If there are plans to use the facility all summer for concerts and who knows what else, maybe this changes. But it shouldn't be a high priority.

Agreed. AC is not very important.

Let's teleport to September 18th, 2020.

The new roof is in place. The new sound system is in place. You can hear everything and Mr Excitement never sounded this good before.
The beautiful new central scoreboard is in place. Video replays are amazing.
The ribbon scoreboards might be enhanced and maybe out of town scores and game stats during the game will finally be well done.
The new lighting system is in place. A state of the art wifi system makes using your smart phone a pleasant, wonderful experience and the Cuse app is truly usable in the Dome to get great info and bling while you watch the game.

What problems remain?

Super cramped concourses, worse than ever given the big crowds that now come to every game
Low quality, limited choice food selection at concession stands (this might be partly improved by then)
No bathrooms in the end zone areas (this might be fixed by then)
The super efficient, well loved stainless steel urinal troughs will be replaced by inefficient, inferior single urinals. Pee time will be doubled or tripled.
Seating remains uncomfortable. Hard metal seats everywhere. No seat backs on the 300 level unless you pay for a rental booster seat
No air conditioning
Parking is worse than ever as the university continues to convert open parking lots west of the stadium into ugly buildings inspired by the penal system of the area formerly known as East Germany

Make the concourses twice as wide on the north and south sides of the stadium and really open them up on the east and west (end zone) sides. Think big food courts, with tables, open space, maybe a restaurant or two, lots of room to sit, eat and talk.

Rip out the awful single urinals just installed and replace them with the stainless steel troughs the fans want. Better yet, just don't do it. If there are no bathrooms in the end zones yet, add them. I don't go to the bathroom at games almost ever, but a lot of people do and it is a real pain to have to walk so far to make a visit if you are sitting in an end zone (or near mid court for basketball, where this is really a problem).

Sever the relationship with SU food services for food and bring in a company that specializes in providing food to people in stadiums. If possible, choose a food company that will work with local restaurants to feature local specialties as part of the menu. There should be chicken riggies, salt potatoes, stretch bread with spicy oil, Columbus bread with meatballs, Gannon's ice cream, etc.

Regarding seating, replace the bench seating with individual seats with the proviso that the seat backs for the 300 level should not be high enough so they are constantly smashing intro the knees of everyone more than 5'6 tall. There needs to be room for people enter and leave their seats without making everyone in the row stand and contort their body backwards.

Air conditioning is last on my list. It matters maybe once or twice a year to me. If there are plans to use the facility all summer for concerts and who knows what else, maybe this changes. But it shouldn't be a high priority.
My concern is that they will box themselves in - literally - by "enhancing" the concession stands and restrooms first. That will make expanding the footprint kind of a lost cause if they do this backwards.

If cost is a driver, then expand the concourses and I can wait another 5 years for better amenities. The biggest amenity they can push is not smelling and rubbing armpits with strangers when I try to move around before the game, at halftime, and after the game.

Isn't there a 'common sense consultant' on Sala's staff? This is scary stuff because any boneheaded decisions will probably carry a 40-year life sentence.

My concern is that they will box themselves in - literally - by "enhancing" the concession stands and restrooms first. That will make expanding the footprint kind of a lost cause if they do this backwards.

If cost is a driver, then expand the concourses and I can wait another 5 years for better amenities. The biggest amenity they can push is not smelling and rubbing armpits with strangers when I try to move around before the game, at halftime, and after the game.

Isn't there a 'common sense consultant' on Sala's staff? This is scary stuff because any boneheaded decisions will probably carry a 40-year life sentence.

There is no plan to expand the dome concourses anytime soon.

The eastern end zone will be wider because the new gym is suppose to connect with the Dome. This should provide new restrooms and a much wider concourse with new updated concession areas. I’m not sure what will/can be done on the west end zone.

They need to move a few things out of the concourses. Particularly at the stairs from lower level to upper level. The flow of people is atrocious at these intersections

The eastern end zone will be wider because the new gym is suppose to connect with the Dome. This should provide new restrooms and a much wider concourse with new updated concession areas. I’m not sure what will/can be done on the west end zone.

I posted that a year ago. that end of the dome was going to be connected to the arch. there would be escalators and the arch would provide healthy food options for dome patrons to partake in. but I believe that's been pushed out as tbd for now. not anytime soon.

I think most of us are ok waiting as long as they do this right. Blow out 1 side per year if needed. I hope they’re not basing 40-year decisions on that fan survey they put out awhile back. Common sense planning needs to prevail.

Last edited:

I agree this is the single most issue. If this isn't going to happen then everything else is lipstick on a pig. I'm like a lot of people who never leave their seats during the game. But would I if I had a nice "beer garden" to go mosey over to where I could watch the game on some nice state of the art TV's. And speaking of which, can they spend a little money and have TV's in the bathrooms so you aren't missing any of the game.

I think most of us are ok waiting as long as they do this right. I hope they’re not basing 40-year decisions on that fan survey they put out awhile back. Common sense planning needs to prevail.

You should ask for a meeting with them.

You should ask for a meeting with them.
Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to get it right. Or are you just content that we’re getting any kind of a Reno at all?

I have to agree, at first I was excited cause they are doing something and with them anything Is better then nothing. This seems like the cheapest option they could do. The dome is antiquated beyond repair. Changing the roof and adding a scoreboard deals with one issue and that’s roof failure. For the fans; parking, bathrooms, seating, concourse and food aren’t being addressed. The people that spend their hard earned money get nothing but a scoreboard and being able to open a vent to let a small amount a fresh air into an incubator. All this is a makeover to get a cheap university a lot more time without spending the big money on a replacement that will ultimately just be another half assed stadium. Without new exterior walls creating much needed room and options this will ultimately be viewed as another cheap out the university has done. This will be the grob of building remodeling

I have to agree, at first I was excited cause they are doing something and with them anything Is better then nothing. This seems like the cheapest option they could do. The dome is antiquated beyond repair. Changing the roof and adding a scoreboard deals with one issue and that’s roof failure. For the fans; parking, bathrooms, seating, concourse and food aren’t being addressed. The people that spend their hard earned money get nothing but a scoreboard and being able to open a vent to let a small amount a fresh air into an incubator. All this is a makeover to get a cheap university a lot more time without spending the big money on a replacement that will ultimately just be another half assed stadium. Without new exterior walls creating much needed room and options this will ultimately be viewed as another cheap out the university has done. This will be the grob of building remodeling

You’re minimizing or ignoring everything that will be done. Half the things you say aren’t being addressed, are. And there’s 3 phases. This is just the first phase which is $118m.

You’re minimizing or ignoring everything that will be done. Half the things you say aren’t being addressed, are. And there’s 3 phases. This is just the first phase which is $118m.
People aren’t happy unless everything is done as soon as possible. If not it’s just “half ass” or a “cheap Reno”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom