Coaches on the floor | Syracusefan.com

Coaches on the floor

hplare

Skilled observer of photographs
Channel surfing and catch the following: Mullins a good foot and a half on the court as St Johns defends against Duke. At one point he has to dodge a Duke player and actually touches him as he gets out of the way.

Then: VTech against NCS. It goes without saying that Buzz is on the court directing the defense, and then just short of half court when the balls at the other end.

Guess the refs are too busy blowing calls to notice.

Simple Solution.
Create a penalty box for coaches.
They step on the court they get a T and must sit in the penalty box for the next 2 minutes of game time.
Can even name it the "Buzz Box" or the "Hurley Seat."

interesting hockey solution. i've had thoughts in the past that after a certain number of fouls rather than the bonus free throws or disqualification what if you had the option to sit a player and play 4 on 5 for 1 minute or 2 to kill the penalty ?

I'm surprised to hear that, given how avid of a college hoops fan you seem to be. It is one of my biggest pet peeves about college hoops -- that officials allow some coaches to get away with it so flagrantly.

I know it’s been discussed for years but my eyes just are never drawn to the sidelines. And I’ve not like guys like Dixon for...other reasons.

The only time I recall it happening was when Jason Kidd did it in an NBA game...and they T'd up the coach. Sooooooo, no clue why players don't give it a go more often.

Just finished watching Georgia and SC.

Ref stopped the game and told Crean to get back in the box AND tell his assistants to sit down and not stand.

Crean is one guy I’d level
a9e36fc065ead797165c5fcbb7e57f9e62954306_r.jpg

Dixon was the worst with this. I’m sure jb has a moment or two, but I’ve payed very close attention at vt and Pitt games to see if he does, and I’ve never seen him do much of anything.

I am.
I never notice it either. And if i do, it just doesn't register. It's inconsequential. If you need to root for a player to run into a coach, and that hasn't happened with significant frequency, then it seems like it's a non-issue.
I'm certain that if it is a thing with you, it's something you're looking for, and if it isn't a thing, you're just more focused on the 10 players. And/or the cheerleaders.

I have definetely noticed it, but parts of it really dont bother me.

A coach should be able to walk up to half court to follow his team. In terms of getting on the floor, that one irks slightly at times

There is way too many coaches that do it now, that the only way it could get corrected is if the NCAA made it a point of emphasis at the beginning of the season.

I suspect one of these years though at a crucial moment in an NCAA tournament game. a ref that hasn't called it all year will try to be a superstar and make the call.

I don't like Buzz, although the court thing is far from the main reason. I would like to see Zion lay him out like he did to Marek, though.

I would like to make it a point of emphasis that teams like Va Tech or Jamie Dixon's old Pitt teams can't foul with impunity. Oh, yeah. Also Tony Benett's hands on D.
I guess they start calling it in the tourney... It really grinds my gears. BC too!!!

I'm surprised to hear that, given how avid of a college hoops fan you seem to be. It is one of my biggest pet peeves about college hoops -- that officials allow some coaches to get away with it so flagrantly.

Because who cares? A few years back the refs were pretty militant about this rule. Now they just arent calling it. Boeheim wanders too (up the sideline not out onto the court). The Albany coach at the game i went to last week was at midcourt for substantial parts of the game. It only matters to anally retentive fans.

Because who cares? A few years back the refs were pretty militant about this rule. Now they just arent calling it. Boeheim wanders too (up the sideline not out onto the court). The Albany coach at the game i went to last week was at midcourt for substantial parts of the game. It only matters to anally retentive fans.

Who cares that a coach is 5 feet onto the court while the players are playing?

Poor take on your part.

Refs have never, ever, been militant about enforcing the coaching box, or penalizing coaches for being on the floor during game play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom