Coaches we wanted to keep that got hired away. | Syracusefan.com

Coaches we wanted to keep that got hired away.

Crusty

Living Legend
Coach Mac and FHCDM come to top of mind. They were the only head coaches but we have many assistants. Tony White is probably the most prominent but Sean Lewis cannot be far behind.

Trying to remember others that were not gone when their HC was fired or left.

I was thinking about him the other day. I thought he’d have a huge coaching career by now. I thought he’d be the Longhorns head coach for twenty years. He’s currently the OC at South Alabama.
I think he derailed his career getting caught with his pants down with a student staffer ... Or maybe that was another one

I think he derailed his career getting caught with his pants down with a student staffer ... Or maybe that was another one
No, that was him.

Reactions: CIL
Biggie Munn and Duffy Daugherty both went to MSU. Even before that, Bud Wilkinson left SU.

Somewhat more recently--Nick Saban and Tom Coughlin.
When Bud retired from coaching the Sooners, he was on the ABC broadcast team and did games with Keith Jackson and Chris Shenkel. Bud would always talk about things he learned from Ben while a SYR assistant. He always spoke highly of Ben and SYR. I always thought that was so cool when Bud would mention his SYR days.

When Bud retired from coaching the Sooners, he was on the ABC broadcast team and did games with Keith Jackson and Chris Shenkel. Bud would always talk about things he learned from Ben while a SYR assistant. He always spoke highly of Ben and SYR. I always thought that was so cool when Bud would mention his SYR days.
I'm sadly mistaken. Bud coached at SYR from 1938-1941 under Ossie Solem. Ben didn’t come along until 1949. But I do remember Bud talking about coaching at SYR during the ABC broadcasts. I was a young SYR fan and got a kick out of a big time, legendary coach mentioning my team. It was some kind of validation that I was rooting for a legitimate team.

Biggie Munn and Duffy Daugherty both went to MSU. Even before that, Bud Wilkinson left SU.

Somewhat more recently--Nick Saban and Tom Coughlin.
Were Saban and Coughlin considered big losses at the time or just in retrospect?

Did they make lateral moves to higher profile schools like White and Rogers or did they take jobs that allowed them to move into a role of higher responsibility like Lewis?

Were Saban and Coughlin considered big losses at the time or just in retrospect?

Did they make lateral moves to higher profile schools like White and Rogers or did they take jobs that allowed them to move into a role of higher responsibility like Lewis?
Two different situations. Saban left after 1 year. He went to West Virginia. And if you weren't on the team, you didn't notice. Coach Maloney wanted him to stay. Coughlin, I believe left when Coach Mac took over. I don't think Mac wanted him.