Coaching Carousel | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

Not surprised by either to be honest, especially Harvard. Thought Sowell might get one more year but that fanbase was more then ready to move on.

Not surprised by either to be honest, especially Harvard. Thought Sowell might get one more year but that fanbase was more then ready to move on.

Why did Navy extend his contract and give him 4 years and have to eat 2 years of salary. Our tax dollars at work!

Why did Navy extend his contract and give him 4 years and have to eat 2 years of salary. Our tax dollars at work!

Was coming off of that tourney run a few years ago I believe, big mistake.

Wow. Nagle just won Coach of the Year in the America East too. The carousel’s getting crowded.

I just heard on the college crosse podcast that Petro has one year left on his contract. So I guess next year is put up or shut up for him, similar to Desko’s situation. I’m surprised he’s still at Hopkins given his coaching record and tournament performance since their last title way back in 2007.

Tax dollars do not support intercollegiate athletics at any of the Academies. Each one has a fund-raising arm that pays for them. For Navy, it's the Naval Academy Athletic Association (NAAA). Now, does that mean that the Federal government didn't pay for the pool that the swim teams use if the academy calls it a "physical education facility"? I'll give you 3 guesses and your first 2 don't count. ;)

Cassese and a bunch of asst coaches from tournament teams. Will be interesting to see if offensive or defensive coaches are hot this off season.

You guys can't be serious. If you were coaching Marquette you wouldn't take the Navy job? Even if it paid less I would take the Navy job.

You guys can't be serious. If you were coaching Marquette you wouldn't take the Navy job? Even if it paid less I would take the Navy job.

Navy has fallen hard since the 04 champ game. They have made very few NCAA tourney appearances and are in a conference that is usually 1 bid league, 2 at best. Marquette isn't exactly Duke but I would think with the continued expansion of lacrosse and its location as Mid West school its got a higher ceiling at this point then Navy who really hasn't been relevant for a decade +.

Navy has fallen hard since the 04 champ game. They have made very few NCAA tourney appearances and are in a conference that is usually 1 bid league, 2 at best. Marquette isn't exactly Duke but I would think with the continued expansion of lacrosse and its location as Mid West school its got a higher ceiling at this point then Navy who really hasn't been relevant for a decade +.

Navy had a good team in 2016 that made the quarter finals. They even looked good last year but didn’t quite make the tourney. Marquette I believe won their conference tourney and got in a couple years back but they haven’t been doing any better than navy in the past 4 or 5 years. Just had two losing record seasons in a row. I think Navy’s status as one of the Academies, and the legacies and traditions that come with that, make it a far more appealing job, despite not being miles ahead of Marquette in recent success. They clearly have a relatively strong emphasis on lacrosse as well.

Navy had a good team in 2016 that made the quarter finals. They even looked good last year but didn’t quite make the tourney. Marquette I believe won their conference tourney and got in a couple years back but they haven’t been doing any better than navy in the past 4 or 5 years. Just had two losing record seasons in a row. I think Navy’s status as one of the Academies, and the legacies and traditions that come with that, make it a far more appealing job, despite not being miles ahead of Marquette in recent success. They clearly have a relatively strong emphasis on lacrosse as well.

I don't disagree with any of that but I just think if you look at potential ceilings Marquette's is higher. Army under Albrici has been the poster child for academy lacrosse pretty much the last decade +. They have what 2 NCAA tourney appearances the last decade the 2nd of which was this season when they needed a small miracle. Not saying Amplo couldn't or wont do a great job there but it's hard to argue that taking the Navy job is anything more then a lateral move at this point. Navy clearly has a pretty well invested alumni group so I think that is a huge difference but in today's day and age or really the current D 1 set up its hard to see an Academy having any sort of sustained success which I think Navy's Alumni is looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom