Coaching Carousel | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
Seems like it's about time to start this, because. . .

Jim Christian, Dead Coach Walking.

It was accepted fact that he was on thin ice entering the season. He might have sealed the deal by throwing his administration under the bus, saying publicly that they were insisting he play the game vs. FSU although he was down to 4 scholarship players (Covid, I expect). Then irony of ironies, the Seminoles announce that they have to "postpone" their next 3 games (including BC, of course) due to Covid protocols.

So, who do the Eagles tap?

First call BC should make is to Mike Hopkins.
He is going to get heat at Washington.
He is better than anything BC could get.
He can recruit the NorthEast.

It’s what they should do. I doubt they will.

Seems like it's about time to start this, because. . .

Jim Christian, Dead Coach Walking.

It was accepted fact that he was on thin ice entering the season. He might have sealed the deal by throwing his administration under the bus, saying publicly that they were insisting he play the game vs. FSU although he was down to 4 scholarship players (Covid, I expect). Then irony of ironies, the Seminoles announce that they have to "postpone" their next 3 games (including BC, of course) due to Covid protocols.

So, who do the Eagles tap?
GMac, who will take Griffin or Devo.
Yeah, I don’t know

Grasso.
I fear this is a serious post. Why in the world would a school in a power conference hire a guy that has yet to have a winning season at the small program he is currently at? Christian was a horrible hire. This one would be worse. In a power conference you have to be able to recruit really highly thought of players. Grasso hasn't done that. His next move would or should be to a just below the level of P-5 or 6 . A A-10 would be a good move for him. But even before that, he has to prove that he can win. Let me put it this way, if you were suddenly the B.C. A.D. and you were hiring and looking at the pool of guys you could bring in, where would Grasso be on your list?

I fear this is a serious post. Why in the world would a school in a power conference hire a guy that has yet to have a winning season at the small program he is currently at? Christian was a horrible hire. This one would be worse. In a power conference you have to be able to recruit really highly thought of players. Grasso hasn't done that. His next move would or should be to a just below the level of P-5 or 6 . A A-10 would be a good move for him. But even before that, he has to prove that he can win. Let me put it this way, if you were suddenly the B.C. A.D. and you were hiring and looking at the pool of guys you could bring in, where would Grasso be on your list?
BC should roll the dice. Bryant plays fast pace style and could give BC an identity.

Ed Cooley. Not close. Unless he thinks Providence is preferable to a P-5 program as bad as BC's.

Good coach, good recruiter, New England guy, world-class human being. (I knew him well when he was at Fairfield U).

Ed Cooley. Not close. Unless he thinks Providence is preferable to a P-5 program as bad as BC's.

Good coach, good recruiter, New England guy, world-class human being. (I knew him well when he was at Fairfield U).
Interesting thought. I wonder if Cooley is willing to play ball.

Heard Cooley give the keynote speech at an awards dinner for a Fairfield U scholarship program immediately after he had taken the Providence job. To describe him as “compelling” would be an understatement. Amazing speaker.

BC should roll the dice. Bryant plays fast pace style and could give BC an identity.
It might be rolling the dice with the A.D.'s job. Considering who else will be out there for them, it would be a terrible hire.

First call BC should make is to Mike Hopkins.
He is going to get heat at Washington.
He is better than anything BC could get.
He can recruit the NorthEast.

It’s what they should do. I doubt they will.
Again?

Again?
Did he officially get offered the BC job?
If so I don’t blame him for declining at that time.
It would have caused an unnecessary ruckus if the Syracuse HCIW took the BC job.

Now that he has gone to Washington its different. He has been a HC and it’s not as major a story. I have no clue about his family that would be a factor you would know more about.
Would he want to leave the West Coast now.
BC would be a spot he could make better than they are.
At the bottom of the ACC.

BC has no business being down for as long as they have.
Hopkins would be a HR for them.

Maybe Penn State as well. They are going to be hiring a HC.

It might be rolling the dice with the A.D.'s job. Considering who else will be out there for them, it would be a terrible hire.
His team is focused and organized. If he could recruit the next level talent, which he could at BC, he would have a very dangerous team. There is no safe choice or sure thing for an AD, if the AD puts BC on the map with his next coach at BC, the sky's the limit for his career.

Here is Minnesota, many local writers and sports talk personalities have said the Richard Pitino will be fired after the season. MN has been hit recently with injuries with 2 starters out and has lost 5 in a row to fall out of the NCAA picture. If MN doesn't make the NCAA's, Pitino will have been the tourney only 2 of 7 years at MN.

I think Richard is a good, young coach (he's just 38) but just didn't recruit that well at MN. I doubt MN (and Coyle) will do better unless they can get local Eric Musselman to leave Arkansas after just 2 years to coach in the B1G.

Or maybe Brian Dutcher at SD State would like to coach his father's old MN team?

Pitino has been rumored as a possible BC coach and would be great for BC if hired IMHO.

Here is Minnesota, many local writers and sports talk personalities have said the Richard Pitino will be fired after the season. MN has been hit recently with injuries with 2 starters out and has lost 5 in a row to fall out of the NCAA picture. If MN doesn't make the NCAA's, Pitino will have been the tourney only 2 of 7 years at MN.

I think Richard is a good, young coach (he's just 38) but just didn't recruit that well at MN. I doubt MN (and Coyle) will do better unless they can get local Eric Musselman to leave Arkansas after just 2 years to coach in the B1G.

Or maybe Brian Dutcher at SD State would like to coach his father's old MN team?

Pitino has been rumored as a possible BC coach and would be great for BC if hired IMHO.
will be really interesting to see what Coyle does. but like you say, here in the twin cities the pundits and most of the fans are calling for him to axe lil' ricky P

This could be the shot Gerry needs.
The shot(s) Gerry needed to make were against Texas A&M back in March of 2006.

No disrespect to Binghamton or whoever ends up taking the job there but for Gerry it would probably be a pay cut plus an open door to the end of his career as a basketball coach.

If anyone is going to take a risk like that then it would have to be for something like the Hop situation in Seattle. Meaning the type of money that you could effectively retire on if things go south after a handful of years. The SU assistants should be and probably are aiming much higher than a AEC job. Just my 2 copper pennies.