Coaching Carousel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

Here is Minnesota, many local writers and sports talk personalities have said the Richard Pitino will be fired after the season. MN has been hit recently with injuries with 2 starters out and has lost 5 in a row to fall out of the NCAA picture. If MN doesn't make the NCAA's, Pitino will have been the tourney only 2 of 7 years at MN.

I think Richard is a good, young coach (he's just 38) but just didn't recruit that well at MN. I doubt MN (and Coyle) will do better unless they can get local Eric Musselman to leave Arkansas after just 2 years to coach in the B1G.

Or maybe Brian Dutcher at SD State would like to coach his father's old MN team?

Pitino has been rumored as a possible BC coach and would be great for BC if hired IMHO.
Or, one of our guys moves on, hire him, he is HC in waiting, and his dad comes as assistant when JB retires.

Or, one of our guys moves on, hire him, he is HC in waiting, and his dad comes as assistant when JB retires.
So you’d be fine with a coach fired from Minnesota after making the NCAAs just 2 of 7 years taking over the Syracuse program after JB retires as long as his dad Rick is an assistant? That would be quite the career recovery for Richard!

So you’d be fine with a coach fired from Minnesota after making the NCAAs just 2 of 7 years taking over the Syracuse program after JB retires as long as his dad Rick is an assistant? That would be quite the career recovery for Richard!
Well, our anointed guy by many is struggling as badly at UW, which plays in a weaker conference.
Big Rick can still recruit.
My top choice (I have no knowledge of the coaches in this space) would be Oates.
New blood, new feel.

Richard Pitino interviewed at New Mexico yesterday. He hasn’t officially been fired by Minnesota yet but it appears MN is letting Pitino get another job first so they can avoid paying him the $1.75 million buy out.

I’m really surprised BC hasn’t talked with Pitino. At MN, leading contenders are still Dutcher at SD St, Musselman at Arkansas, & Cleveland St & Loyola head coaches.

Richard Pitino interviewed at New Mexico yesterday. He hasn’t officially been fired by Minnesota yet but it appears MN is letting Pitino get another job first so they can avoid paying him the $1.75 million buy out.

I’m really surprised BC hasn’t talked with Pitino. At MN, leading contenders are still Dutcher at SD St, Musselman at Arkansas, & Cleveland St & Loyola head coaches.
yep.
highly highly doubt they'd be able to lure Mussleman - I guess there's a chance for Dutcher, according to some local scribes here

yep.
highly highly doubt they'd be able to lure Mussleman - I guess there's a chance for Dutcher, according to some local scribes here
Yes Dutcher has like a $7.5 million buyout if he leaves SD St. but he has a clause in his contract that the buyout is only $1 million if he leaves for his alma mater Minnesota.

So Oats did in public what JB does behind closed doors during his exit meetings with about 25% of the roster on an annual basis.

According to an article on Tmg (which I couldn't link) BC is considering Thad Matta and John Beilein, plus many others.

Last edited:

from the rumors on the Hill BC is focusing on Howard Eisley (Michigan Asst, BC alum), Schmidt (Bona, BC alum), Coen. Judging from the fact the top 2 are still in the tournament they probably are going to wait it out till end of March

BC should absolutely hire Beilein. Home run for them.
I kind of doubt Beilein would settle for BC - he's smart enough to know to hold out, as he can pretty much have his pick

Beilein is going to wait for Marquette to fire Wojo and he will bring his son with him.

Unless Brad Stevens is an idiot and comes back to CBB, it feels like a good landing spot for Porter Moser.
Moser is supposedly to be waiting for Notre Dame.
Indiana just went hot mid-major I think this screams veteran who can rebuild.

Keeping with the Kruger theme, Lon is retiring from OU.