Coaching Carousel | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

jekelish

Living Legend
Can we have an all-inclusive thread for the national coaching carousel?

Basically just wanted to post about the fact that, apparently, Charlie Strong is very interested in the Miami job according to reporters in Miami...which means that Texas might come open sooner than later. If LSU does fire Les Miles, that might be a stop for him, but I'd wager that Larry Fedora will be one of the very first calls that UT makes. He's got ties to the department there, and he's a native Texan. He's from College Station and I've always thought A&M would be his ultimate destination, but talking to my boss yesterday (my boss is an old college teammate of Fedora's), he thinks that he will sprint to the head of the line to interview at UT if it comes open.

We have a board guru with very, very strong ties to UT. He says that Fedora would be at the top of either UT's or aTm's list if either needs to hire a new coach. If both do, and it becomes a bidding war, watch out!!!!! :eek:

Our board believes London is through and we'll go after Mark Richt, but only if he's fired by Georgia (we don't have the money to buy out his contract w/them). In addition to the usual list of young coaches in the Group of 5 conferences that are mentioned as ready to move up to the P5, another name bandied about on our board is Troy Calhoun of Air Force. A consistent winner at USAFA, he was an OC in the pros, so it wouldn't be 100% certain he'd move us to the Triple Option like Johnson did w/Georgia Tech. Tim Murphy at Harvard was mentioned for a while, but I think the belief now is that we want a coach who has already shown he can win (and with his own players) in D-1A.

Hoo's That said:
We have a board guru with very, very strong ties to UT. He says that Fedora would be at the top of either UT's or aTm's list if either needs to hire a new coach. If both do, and it becomes a bidding war, watch out!!!!! :eek:

Our board believes London is through and we'll go after Mark Richt, but only if he's fired by Georgia (we don't have the money to buy out his contract w/them). In addition to the usual list of young coaches in the Group of 5 conferences that are mentioned as ready to move up to the P5, another name bandied about on our board is Troy Calhoun of Air Force. A consistent winner at USAFA, he was an OC in the pros, so it wouldn't be 100% certain he'd move us to the Triple Option like Johnson did w/Georgia Tech. Tim Murphy at Harvard was mentioned for a while, but I think the belief now is that we want a coach who has already shown he can win (and with his own players) in D-1A.

I can't believe you guys would go the 1AA route again. That would be like us choosing a lifetime defensive assistant when we play at least 50% of our games in a Dome.

And things worked out well for Texas the last time they pilfered a coach from Carolina. So not surprising.

LSU is not paying a $15 million buy out and then pay another coach $5 per year on top. Just crazy.

If Charlie Strong leaves Texas for Miami he has lost his mind. Miami is not the job it once was and has very difficult challenges that are not overcome by a football coach.

Crusty said:
LSU is not paying a $15 million buy out and then pay another coach $5 per year on top. Just crazy. If Charlie Strong leaves Texas for Miami he has lost his mind. Miami is not the job it once was and has very difficult challenges that are not overcome by a football coach.

Saw where LSU wasn't concerned about the buyout.

LSU is not paying a $15 million buy out and then pay another coach $5 per year on top. Just crazy.

If Charlie Strong leaves Texas for Miami he has lost his mind. Miami is not the job it once was and has very difficult challenges that are not overcome by a football coach.
If you're going by fit strong would be perfect in Miami. Texas I would assume would go after miles if let go by lsu which is a better fit then strong. Alway thought strong and Texas was a strange pairing

If you're going by fit strong would be perfect in Miami. Texas I would assume would go after miles if let go by lsu which is a better fit then strong. Alway thought strong and Texas was a strange pairing
Again, I could see UT go after Miles, but my money would still be on Fedora. He's a Texan. If he gets to UT and turns things around, he's 100% a lifer there.

Why is Strong a fit at Miami? He was a better fit at Louisville!

Why is Strong a fit at Miami? He was a better fit at Louisville!

I am trying to remember off the top of my head don't want to go back but wasn't Strong a great Florida recruiter?

cuseguy said:
Saw where LSU wasn't concerned about the buyout.

That's because that kind of money at the factories is often paid in large part by boosters.

I am trying to remember off the top of my head don't want to go back but wasn't Strong a great Florida recruiter?
Yes. He was the DC at UF for 6 years before he became the HC at Louavul.

Strong is a very good Florida recruiter plus would get along with alumni and boosters. Strong fits the Miami mold and would do very well there. After the grob experiment I'm a firm believer that coaches need to fit with the school. Syracuse is a blue collar school that has to bring in project recruits for the most part so we need a blue collar coach that understand our mold. Grob was a flash that thought he could run a spread with option players. Wasn't going to work. Marrone came in and blue collared the team and it worked. Shafer to an exstent is doing the same but between inexperienced players, injuries and stupid coaching mistakes isn't achieving the same as Marrone at this point. With time I think he gets it to click the question is does coyle and co want to wait around.

If Strong leaves, Texas is going to slide a blank check in front of Saban before they talk to anyone else.

Crusty said:
LSU is not paying a $15 million buy out and then pay another coach $5 per year on top. Just crazy. If Charlie Strong leaves Texas for Miami he has lost his mind. Miami is not the job it once was and has very difficult challenges that are not overcome by a football coach.
If Strong survives this season, he won't survive the first half of next season. He basically gets another two years if he goes to Miami. A do over if you will. Plus, as others have mentioned he has strong recruiting ties to Florida. He had five commit to Texas last class (although all but one I think didn't make it in).

Right. Longhorns have $upport.

It would be like leaving the Dallas Cowboys to go coach the titans. No one is leaving Texas for Miami.