Coaching is a huge problem | Syracusefan.com

Coaching is a huge problem

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
And I'm not talking about recruiting.

I'm talking about effort and game planning.

We aren't playing as well defensively like we were last year. We don't identify shooters at all, and it's not just specific to Howard. Battle is just a big of a culprit here.

Offensively I have zero idea what our plan of attack is besides chuck up contested J's or Oshae chuck up a brick off the backboard.

I appreciate JB as much as anyone, but the staff has not had a good year outside of us signing Girard, Goodine, and Guerrier.

Last edited:
So you finally see my frustration when I have asked what the hell do we do in practice.
I don’t see many adjustments. I feel like playing the zone 100% negates whatever the opposing scouting reports would tell you.

On offense it’s clear the strategy is to give the ball to Battle or Frank and have them shoot/drive and then the pass to Buddy/Brissett/Hughes and have them chuck up a 3.

How Braswell didn’t play in the second half when his defense keyed our run in the late first was just maddening. How Sidibe started the second half again what the heck.

I don’t see any assistant coaches doing a good job with their units in player development.

Defense is on the players, almost exclusively. Offense is on the coaches, almost exclusively.

We obviously don't have the offensive talent to do what JB wants to do. Like wanting to run a spread offense with a noodle-arm QB. Coaches gotta adapt. We haven't adapted to our lack of talent.

When every single player (except Dolezaj) has regressed from the prior year, there's a coaching problem.

When players rarely develop year to year, specifically at key positions (1/5), there's a coaching problem.

When your offense relies on simplistic motion that can be completely neutralized by an aggressive opposing guard, there's a coaching problem.

Only way to fix this problem is to change up coaches/style or recruit better, of which we are doing neither.

So you finally see my frustration when I have asked what the hell do we do in practice.
I don’t see many adjustments. I feel like playing the zone 100% negates whatever the opposing scouting reports would tell you.

On offense it’s clear the strategy is to give the ball to Battle or Frank and have them shoot/drive and then the pass to Buddy/Brissett/Hughes and have them chuck up a 3.

How Braswell didn’t play in the second half when his defense keyed our run in the late first was just maddening. How Sidibe started the second half again what the heck.

I don’t see any assistant coaches doing a good job with their units in player development.

Last year I gave them a pass because I thought the talent was undeveloped. This year they still look undeveloped and we added Hughes and aren't any better.

I am completely ready for Brissett to leave.

If any of you have heard the phrase, “the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the disappointed” this thread is a good example of what I think the phrase is trying to communicate.

If any of you have heard the phrase, “the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the disappointed” this thread is a good example of what I think the phrase is trying to communicate.

What has improved over last year? What has got worse? Who’s fault is that?

His point is good here.
We made our run with Braswell playing active defense while Brissett had 3 fouls on the bench.
Brissett has not developed this year and has played like 2008 Paul Harris.

I’ll take 2008 Harris anyday. He could be frustrating, but that’s because we knew he was really good and didn’t always play up to it.

But he was a better ball handler, passer, finisher, and defender, IMO.

tumblr_owwyq2HFJh1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

And I'm not talking about recruiting.

I'm talking about effort and game planning.

We aren't playing as well defensively like we were last year. We don't identify shooters at all and it's not just specific to Howard. Battle is just a big a culprit here.

Offensively I have zero idea what our plan of attack is besides chuck up contested J's or Oshae chuck up a brick off the backboard.

I appreciate JB as much as anyone, but the staff has not had a good year outside of us signing Girard, Goodine, and Guerrier.

I agree with you. Just going to state that, go back to enjoying the NBA and stay out of this thread. Good luck, sir.

Development is a huge problem for sure. In game has been interesting this year as well. Credit to JB for pulling even the sacred cows when their play is hurting the team. However, his personnel choices and line ups has been a bit odd all year, and the look of over confidence and swagger for a team that should be clawing for blood on every possession is on the staff. Our season was summed up by Frank last night - hit a couple of shots and then tries a behind the back pass that was so nonchalant and so unintelligent. It is as if this team only needs one play to go well for them to get swagger back and forget that they have been outplayed most of the season. Something is not connecting.

Defense is on the players, almost exclusively. Offense is on the coaches, almost exclusively.

We obviously don't have the offensive talent to do what JB wants to do. Like wanting to run a spread offense with a noodle-arm QB. Coaches gotta adapt. We haven't adapted to our lack of talent.
I disagree. The team performance on both offense and defense is on everybody. No one is blameless here. TB was completely lost playing the wing. I get it, he hasn't played there and he didn't need to because Braswell played well in the first half and should have been playing instead. The coaches need to put players in position to succeed. If we're going to have one defense, it should be second nature to all in game 25 since it doesn't appear we practice offense.
We are decidedly better than the worst teams in the ACC and we can't even compete with the mediocre teams unless we shoot the lights out. It's extremely frustrating and the coaches seem complacent.

Can Goodine go by people? I know he’s playing PG and is said to be super athletic.

All these smart teams just maul us on the perimeter with insanely aggressive defense on the ball handler and we can’t make them pay.

Jonny Flynn would’ve had 30 and 10 last night. I hope Goodine can go by people. This is getting old seeing teams shut us down the exact same way and us not being able to do a thing about it.

Can Goodine go by people? I know he’s playing PG and is said to be super athletic.

All these smart teams just maul us on the perimeter with insanely aggressive defense on the ball handler and we can’t make them pay.

Jonny Flynn would’ve had 30 and 10 last night. I hope Goodine can go by people. This is getting old seeing teams shut us down the exact same way and us not being able to do a thing about it.

Our backcourt should be a lot faster next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom