• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
O

Orange&Blue44

AqRiT1VCQAAyfkV.jpg

Photo courtesy @AlexDub182821 Twitter

Agree. Here are my three reasons.

1. We really didn't need him. With Coleman, Southerland, Christmas, Keita, Fair and Grant to cover the 3, 4 and 5 positions. he would just have stiffled the development of those other guys.
2. He was over-hyped. He was not as tall as Fab. Not as huge as Fab. Not a McDAA. And remenber how useful Fab was in his first year with us?
3. Come next December, I don't think I could handle all those Joyeaux Neol - Merry Christmas jokes from the media.

"he would just have stiffled the development of those other guys."

That is most likely the truth

I love DC2. He will chit up. To bad Higgins and Burr officiate the be.

1. We really didn't need him. With Coleman, Southerland, Christmas, Keita, Fair and Grant to cover the 3, 4 and 5 positions. he would just have stiffled the development of those other guys.
2. He was over-hyped. He was not as tall as Fab. Not as huge as Fab. Not a McDAA. And remenber how useful Fab was in his first year with us?
3. Come next December, I don't think I could handle all those Joyeaux Neol - Merry Christmas jokes from the media.
The only reason Noel wasn't a McD-AA was because he reclassified mid season, after the cut off for the Burger Game. Don't sell him short, he would have been a nearly unanimous McD pick.

Sour grapes. I will say he will never come close to what ad has done and will be viewed as a disapponintment because so.

"he would just have stiffled the development of those other guys."

That is most likely the truth
I have felt this way the whole time!
I really think if Noel chose SU, BMK would redshirt this season. BMK barely played some games this season, how would that change if we essentially lost one big (Fab) and got two more (DC2 and Noel)? BMK would most likely have been on with it, and his development would be much better for it.
Practice every day against 3 guys with NBA potential (DC2, Rak, Noel), focus on putting on weight. It's a lot easier to lift weights heavy during the season when you don't need to worry about being tired for games.
Lastly, it would essentially be a trade of a Jr. Keita (21 years old) for a RS Sr. Keita (23 years old). 2 years of development in college is significant. Spread out the use of our centers.

Oh well. The stable is still full at SU. We'll be fine. Got 3 legit centers and 3 legit PFs.

LGO

I really think if Noel chose SU, BMK would redshirt this season. BMK barely played some games this season, how would that change if we essentially lost one big (Fab) and got two more (DC2 and Noel)? BMK would most likely have been on with it, and his development would be much better for it.
Practice every day against 3 guys with NBA potential (DC2, Rak, Noel), focus on putting on weight. It's a lot easier to lift weights heavy during the season when you don't need to worry about being tired for games.
Lastly, it would essentially be a trade of a Jr. Keita (21 years old) for a RS Sr. Keita (23 years old). 2 years of development in college is significant. Spread out the use of our centers.

Oh well. The stable is still full at SU. We'll be fine. Got 3 legit centers and 3 legit PFs.

LGO

I think the impact on BMK is long term negative because I agree the RS year, if he accepted it, would probably have served him well. I do think it would have stifled the development of DC and/or Rak. It is unclear to me how the playing time would have ended up being managed (not to say that it couldn't be managed effectively, just that I am not sure how I think things would have shaken out) but taking NN out of the picture clearly opens up more opportunity for both DC and/or RAK to get more game time...someone would have likely been in the role that BMK is going to be in otherwise. Also makes it more likely that we'll see some rotations where we have both CJ and JS on the floor at the same time, whereas we would have been less likely to see that with three H.S. AA quality players vying for playing time at the PF/C slots.

Remember the staff wasn't desperate for another big when they thought Noel was in next year's class. He would really have been a luxury rather than fitting a need. The incoming class with DC and Grant is more in line with what the staff envisioned in their long term plans before Noel reclassified in january (or whenever it was).

Redshirting Keita did sound intriguing from a player development perspective, but I kept coming back to CTO's semi-frequent references to Keita's homesickness/introverted personality and friendship with Nick Resavy. Not sure how he would've handled a redshirt year, especially after his closest friend on the team has graduated.

Either way, it's moot now. I hope the mysterious hands-of-stone ailment that hurt his first 35 games is a thing of the past and we see improved Boston (and freshman year, sometimes) Keita for the second half of his career. He was a liability for almost his whole sophomore year, but he's a great kid and a hard worker - if he can just make simple catches, he'll give us 6 and 6 off the bench most nights and give us really good minutes when Coleman's in foul trouble or tired. More important, having an effective Keita almost forces Boeheim to keep Rakeem at the four.

the thing about keita is that when it was clear he needed to be the man handling things in the middle, he did so by having very good games. boston was great for him imo as he was big in a game he needed to be and if the refs werent so bad the stat line would have reflected just how well he did against sully considering the girth disadvantage.

funny how a controversial stance becomes Conventional Wisdom just a few days later . . .

funny how a controversial stance becomes Conventional Wisdom just a few days later . . .

ha, and i wonder if it would've become conventional if Noel had decided to come here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom