Colgate-Auburn | Syracusefan.com

Colgate-Auburn

cuseguy

Living Legend
I was curious to see how Colgate would fare against another P5 opponent.

Got the answer. In a hurry.

Auburn 53-21 at the half.

Total mismatch.

Total mismatch.
I was thinking same thing. Yikes. Colgate is being totally outclassed and obliterated.

Total mismatch.

3 straight difficult opponents. Wear and tear. I figured someone would call this out. We shot a bunch of holes in their sails. Also, might you have forgotten they had Clemson tied up with 6 minutes to go at Clemson.

If you watched our game you could see just how defeated they were late. They are a lot better than what they are showing tonight. Also remember this is the same team that scared the daylights out of Tennessee in the tourney last year.

3 straight difficult opponents. Wear and tear. I figured someone would call this out. We shot a bunch of holes in their sails. Also, might you have forgotten they had Clemson tied up with 6 minutes to go at Clemson.

If you watched our game you could see just how defeated they were late. They are a lot better than what they are showing tonight. Also remember this is the same team that scared the daylights out of Tennessee in the tourney last year.

I’m not going to place too much emphasis on this game. But Auburn is clearly better than SU, has better athletes and would probably win by 15 points. Colgate can’t guard Auburn and Auburn has shut down Colgate with man defense.

But I knew I’d get blowback for making any negative observations. JB said it would take 10-12 games for SU to get its act together. I tend to agree.

I’m not going to place too much emphasis on this game. But Auburn is clearly better than SU, has better athletes and would probably win by 15 points. Colgate can’t guard Auburn and Auburn has shut down Colgate with man defense.

But I knew I’d get blowback for making any negative observations. JB said it would take 10-12 games for SU to get its act together. I tend to agree.

I've said it before that our zone can be an equalizer against less athletic teams and not in out favor. Auburn doesn't look 15 points better than us. They are up and down. They could smoke us by 20 or lose by 20. Just the nature of Pearl ball.

My comment has nothing to do with negativity. Just objectivity. Look at what Colgate has done before this game and same for Auburn.

This is like a 16-seed playing a 1 and the 1 is taking no prisoners.

This is like a 16-seed playing a 1 and the 1 is taking no prisoners.

It's bad. Just as bad as a 16 seed South Alabama nearly knocking off Auburn 3 games earlier.

Colgate can't win if they aren't hitting their shots. Not a good defensive team at all. When they shoot it well they can hang with a lot of good teams. They have somewhat copied the Bucknell model.

I've said it before that our zone can be an equalizer against less athletic teams and not in out favor. Auburn doesn't look 15 points better than us. They are up and down. They could smoke us by 20 or lose by 20. Just the nature of Pearl ball.

My comment has nothing to do with negativity. Just objectivity. Look at what Colgate has done before this game and same for Auburn.

Just my view at this stage of the season. Our PG has started one game. We’re soft inside. I might feel differently in another month. But right now Auburn is a bit better.

I’m not going to place too much emphasis on this game. But Auburn is clearly better than SU, has better athletes and would probably win by 15 points.
Not sure they are clearly better than SU. Also not sure about 15 points better.

Not sure they are clearly better than SU. Also not sure about 15 points better.

Just an observation from tonight. Things could look different in another month. I think we’ll get a better idea where SU stands right now in another week when they play in New York.

Colgate got a bit ambitious with their scheduling but they will be fine. When I watch other teams I always think they would smoke us and then when we match up we seem to find a way to play with them. Zone levels the field I guess.

I think people are overrating how good other teams are compared to us. College basketball on the whole is way down this year compared to last year.

If JB can get these guys playing well it wouldn’t completely shock me if we were 14-1 heading into the next Virginia game.

Also remember this is the same team that scared the daylights out of Tennessee in the tourney last year.

Not for nothing, but I've seen this said before this month and that's probably a stretch. Tennessee led by double-figures for a lot of the game, Colgate had a nice run midway through the second half to tie it up, but Tennessee pulled away again and, though Burns hit a bunch of threes down the stretch and tightened up the margin, Colgate never had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead.

Pretty big Red Raider hoops fan here. They were fun to watch, and they should be favorites to win the league again. But right now it looks like they had the same summer that SU's football team did.

Not for nothing, but I've seen this said before this month and that's probably a stretch. Tennessee led by double-figures for a lot of the game, Colgate had a nice run midway through the second half to tie it up, but Tennessee pulled away again and, though Burns hit a bunch of threes down the stretch and tightened up the margin, Colgate never had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead.

Pretty big Red Raider hoops fan here. They were fun to watch, and they should be favorites to win the league again. But right now it looks like they had the same summer that SU's football team did.
the big kid's eye issue was so odd in that game. Good summary though, Gate added pressure and the Vols responded.

the big kid's eye issue was so odd in that game. Good summary though, Gate added pressure and the Vols responded.

Yeah, if he could've played his usual minutes, it really might have been a game.

as long as hey win the Patriot League and get in the dance it will be a good season for them

Also Auburn is a team who had to sweat it out vs South Alabama winning by a point. College hoops is funny. One bad performance doesn't tell you about your team. Colgate likely beats South Alabama. Every game is different.
It's bad. Just as bad as a 16 seed South Alabama nearly knocking off Auburn 3 games earlier.

Colgate can't win if they aren't hitting their shots. Not a good defensive team at all. When they shoot it well they can hang with a lot of good teams. They have somewhat copied the Bucknell model.
South Alabama is the best team in the Sun Belt, they’re the only team in the country to have five players who have averaged over 14 ppg prior to this season. If they make the tournament they’ll be a 12-13 seed and would be favorited over Colgate on any court.

South Alabama is the best team in the Sun Belt, they’re the only team in the country to have five players who have averaged over 14 ppg prior to this season. If they make the tournament they’ll be a 12-13 seed and would be favorited over Colgate on any court.

According to KenPom, Colgate would be favored by about half a point.

3 point game with under 2 minutes left. Colgate took the lead with 12 minutes to go. It was certainly a game.

Saw this. Again, 3 point game (67-64) until UT hit a 3 with 1:30 left. That's a game and a scare for a 2 seed.

They are also a team who Chattanooga beat by 18. The same Chattanooga who lost by 11 to Eastern Kentucky. The Eastern Kentucky who lost by 40 to UK.

The point is that Auburn making Colgate look silly despite SU not pulling away until the second half means very little in terms of comparing us to Auburn or SU being good or bad. We know the transitive property doesn't work. This year as much as any makes it clear every game can be different regardless of past or future results against different opponents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom