Colgate Game Thread... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Game Thread...

I think it’s fair to say that none of the starting attack are locked in as starters. Reefus didn’t do anything against Colgate. I know he is a good player and has been a solid player in the past, but he was terrible on Friday. Voigt sounded like he had a solid preseason, but he too did nothing in the game. Solomon looked alright at best. He did score a few on man up and scored another easy goal. What I saw that was interesting was that Solomon and Cook seemed to have decent chemistry. I thought Cook seemed a little nervous as it was his first game. He made a bunch of mistakes that I'm sure he won’t make again. I think it’s time to give Seebold a shot, I think he can add something new and a change of pace that the attack could use. Maybe even add Curry to the attack considering he is more of a threat to score than the other attackman and will probably get a pole now.

Honestly, I think we spend too much time on this board thinking that there is some unknown superstar sitting on the bench just waiting to make his big debut. I think the coaches should spend more time coaching the players up and less time worrying about rotations and mixes and matches. I have long thought the roster is way too big, which doesn't allow the coaches to actually mentor and you know, coach the guys who are going to spend the most amount of time on the field. How do they keep track of such a big roster, there are only three coaches?

Again, Desko seemed to lay all the blame of the Colgate loss on the players' feet without realizing that the buck stops with him. Maybe Seebold is a good player but he didn't produce at all last season and hasn't put up any numbers in the scrimmages - I have to think there is a reason he isn't playing. Cook, the jury is still out for me on him - he looked promising but also had some big time turnovers. I don't think I would play him at middy yet, let him get comfortable at attack before throwing a second position at him. Also don't want him playing any type of defense.

Smaller roster certainly easier to manage but present size in line with many competitors. Some positions overstocked, some slim. For vast majority of younger players there is a gap to be closed between potential and actual production so their continued development is important . Tougher schedule limits participation so growth for most occurs from practices. Might help to add another f/t assistant to help in that regard.

Might help to add another f/t assistant to help in that regard.

They can’t. NCAA only allows a head coach, two assistants and a volunteer assistant. Which would explain the ridiculous title Ryan Powell has.

What Cuse should do is bring in fresh blood from time to time through the volunteer job. That’s what Duke does. Galloway got his start in coaching that way. Great way to get a relatively young guy in there with fresh ideas. Also nice to have a coach closer in age to the players.

Last edited:
They can’t. NCAA only allows a head coach, two assistants and a volunteer assistant. Which would explain the ridiculous title Ryan Powell has.

What Cuse should do is bring in fresh blood from time to time through the volunteer job. That’s what Duke does. Galloway got his start in coaching that way. Great way to get a relatively young guy in there with fresh ideas. Also nice to have a coach closer in age to the players.
Thank you for clarification and agree with your suggestion. Helps team in ways described and platform for potential coaching careers. See many programs list their strength and training coach . Think lax strength coach is making a positive difference

New strength coach has received a lot of praise. Hopefully that continues.

Honestly, I think we spend too much time on this board thinking that there is some unknown superstar sitting on the bench just waiting to make his big debut. I think the coaches should spend more time coaching the players up and less time worrying about rotations and mixes and matches. I have long thought the roster is way too big, which doesn't allow the coaches to actually mentor and you know, coach the guys who are going to spend the most amount of time on the field. How do they keep track of such a big roster, there are only three coaches?

Again, Desko seemed to lay all the blame of the Colgate loss on the players' feet without realizing that the buck stops with him. Maybe Seebold is a good player but he didn't produce at all last season and hasn't put up any numbers in the scrimmages - I have to think there is a reason he isn't playing. Cook, the jury is still out for me on him - he looked promising but also had some big time turnovers. I don't think I would play him at middy yet, let him get comfortable at attack before throwing a second position at him. Also don't want him playing any type of defense.

If your waiting for Desko to take blame for a loss your going to be waiting a long ass time. I can't recall him every saying "this is on me" or " I have to do xyz better" and thats coming from someone who is a Desko fan. Its maddening.

From tniaam. Very weird. Attention to detail seems to be lacking from top to bottom.
  • Finally, a small nugget. If you had a good eye, you may have seen Curry wear the captain’s “C” on his #16 jersey. He’s not a captain this season. Last year’s #16, Ryan Simmons, was a captain

From tniaam. Very weird. Attention to detail seems to be lacking from top to bottom.
  • Finally, a small nugget. If you had a good eye, you may have seen Curry wear the captain’s “C” on his #16 jersey. He’s not a captain this season. Last year’s #16, Ryan Simmons, was a captain

LOL, Classic Syracuse.

If your waiting for Desko to take blame for a loss your going to be waiting a long ass time. I can't recall him every saying "this is on me" or " I have to do xyz better" and thats coming from someone who is a Desko fan. Its maddening.
I hear you. But how much is players not taking to coaching? For example, after the Yale scrimmage he said he wanted to see shooters changing levels(planes). Where did they shoot against Colgate? It was maddening

I also don't understand the fixation of shooting stick side high on a goalie, saw it in several games this weekend not just with the Orange. Why?

I also don't understand the fixation of shooting stick side high on a goalie, saw it in several games this weekend not just with the Orange. Why?

Because it looks "cool" to sting an upper corner. It's a problem that stretches down to the youth levels.

You guys want to freak yourselves out more? Go check out the Navy-Vermont replay on the Patriot League Network. Navy has some athletic dodgers who gave Vermont's D fits.

You guys want to freak yourselves out more? Go check out the Navy-Vermont replay on the Patriot League Network. Navy has some athletic dodgers who gave Vermont's D fits.
Torain is fantastic mid . Exceptional quickness. Had five goals

Torain is fantastic mid . Exceptional quickness. Had five goals

They have said his name a lot, now that I think about it. I just have it on in the background, but I have definitely gotten the flavor of Navy's alley dodgers when the announcer loses his mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom