Colgate Game Thread... | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Game Thread...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
#11 Syracuse vs. Colgate
Friday, February 8 | Carrier Dome | 7 p.m.
WatchESPN: Colgate vs. #10 Syracuse (M Lacrosse)
Listen: cuse.com | TK99/105 | WAER

The 2019 Season Begins on Friday - Syracuse University Athletics

Dy5ItbOWkAAxoFY.jpg

Do I want to leave now and watch the Women's game, or do I want to be a productive member of society for two more hours before I head up?

Anybody have predictions? Feels like this will be closer than I think people realize. Colgate returns an awful lot on offense. Curious who Mellen guards, Cleveland is their top playmaker/assister but he stands 6'5. Anyone remember how 'Cuse matched up last season? Hoping for a good showing at the face-off X and for the offense to gel early.

Anybody have predictions? Feels like this will be closer than I think people realize. Colgate returns an awful lot on offense. Curious who Mellen guards, Cleveland is their top playmaker/assister but he stands 6'5. Anyone remember how 'Cuse matched up last season? Hoping for a good showing at the face-off X and for the offense to gel early.

I wouldn't put to much stock in last year. While SU rolled them Colgate was missing their best player and a few others due to injury and they were a total mess defensively. According to the limited information out there about the new staff and offense, the new Colgate O is much more free flowing and had a lot of success against both Delaware and Albany. I believe Colgate brought back most of the starting O save for the top guy so they have some depth/experience. They also dominated Albany at the X winning I beleive 75-80% of the draws per an Albany fan who watched the game.

That being said their defensive is still a major issue and Albany was apparently up 8-4 midway through the 2nd before Colgate went on a run playing make it take it. SU really should be able to score on this team, maybe not at will but at least 13+ goals. Bigger concern in my mind is the Syracuse defense. The early returns have been pretty bad with 11 goals to Vermont and 18 to yale. It appears slides continue to be a huge issue. Colgate has some scorers so if the D doesn't get its act together this could be a much closer game then people think. I could be way off but the 3 Daily Orange people all predicted SU by 10+ goals, I don't see that at all, hopefully I am wrong.

I predict it'll be a cold walk back to the car at 9 PM.

25 mph winds? Are you serious?

I think the Orange win this game comfortably, by 6. Mellen covers Hawkings, Bomberry covers Cleveland, and Cunningham has Cadigan. Colgate's top FOGO is gone and it looks like Feeney is the lone returner. I expect Varello and Phaup to have the edge there. I don't think Gate matches up well with the Orange's top 6. As a side note, I don't think Dordevic had any points in last years game. It comes down to how well the Orange execute.

Their faceoff guy graduated and he seemed to be their best player when we played them last year. The chances of them having a back up able to match his numbers seems unlikely. Beating an Albany team at the X that thought they were set for the next two years at that position doesn't really say too much. Confident that our long poles can handle any one on one situations but I imagine they will get some scoring off of beating our SSDMs and our over eager slides. Varello apparently did great against Ierlan so one would think he can handle Colgate's new guy without too much trouble, which should hopefully lead to some make it take it runs and fatigue for their defense. Cuse 15-9?

Might as well start with one goal game. Gate' has good O. ... 13-12 Orange

Their faceoff guy graduated and he seemed to be their best player when we played them last year. The chances of them having a back up able to match his numbers seems unlikely. Beating an Albany team at the X that thought they were set for the next two years at that position doesn't really say too much. Confident that our long poles can handle any one on one situations but I imagine they will get some scoring off of beating our SSDMs and our over eager slides. Varello apparently did great against Ierlan so one would think he can handle Colgate's new guy without too much trouble, which should hopefully lead to some make it take it runs and fatigue for their defense. Cuse 15-9?

Ya I have no idea what to expect at the X I was just pointing out the success he had against ALbany, certainly doesn't mean a lot for this game necessarily especially with the way SU has been playing with Varello. I know that SU shut down Cleveland last year and that Abadessa (sp?) graduated but apparently their offense has looked pretty good in the two scrimmages but again one was Delaware and teh other was Albany whose replacing almost everybody on defense save for 1 guy. Getting out to a quick start like last year I think would go a long way.

I can see a 4-0 Cuse lead become 4-3. 6-4 become 6-6. 10-6 become 10-8. 12-8 to 12-10.

That's kind of my thought to but I like to think SU could pull away late.

A few other quick things I will be keeping an eye on.

How is the team with mental errors and turnovers. Those two were really an issue last year especially with turnovers, we had multiple games where we were in the high teens. Probably cost us the Cornell game in the tourney.

What does the second mid line look like with Buttermore Quinn and Carlin. Really interested to see how Buttermore and Quinn look with extended PT. Carlin's an enigma he's other on or hes quiet for 2 weeks, would love to see more consistency.

Does Cook see some time at middie? Who does he sub out for at attack? Does Seebold see any meaningful minutes after getting some extended pre-season run with out much in the stat sheet?

Does Fernandez play? Does Kennedy bump down to close if the D is a hot mess?

Does SU push tempo with the SSDM and LSM's? Kennedy Dearth Bomberry are all unafraid to shoot

Anybody have predictions? Feels like this will be closer than I think people realize. Colgate returns an awful lot on offense. Curious who Mellen guards, Cleveland is their top playmaker/assister but he stands 6'5.
Don't know their lineup, but if Cleveland's their best attack then I put Mellen on him. Hopkins' Cole Williams is also 6'5" (dodger though) and Mellen would be my pick there. Just realized we don't have anyone on our team that size AND calibre so it should be valuable reps tonight.

EDIT: just checked their roster and stats from last season. I'd actually put Mellen on Hawkins, who is their top returning goal scorer, assuming he's not a crease type. I'd put Cunningham on Cleveland.

Last edited:
Don't know their lineup, but if Cleveland's their best attack then I put Mellen on him. Hopkins' Cole Williams is also 6'5" (dodger though) and Mellen would be my pick there. Just realized we don't have anyone on our team that size AND calibre so it should be valuable reps tonight.

Mellen on Cole Williams would be tough thats a pretty big size disparity. I would rather see them bump Kennedy down to cover him one on one. Not sure what the plan is for tonight as I don't remember who marked him last year but they did a good job whoever it was.

Mellen on Cole Williams would be tough thats a pretty big size disparity. I would rather see them bump Kennedy down to cover him one on one. Not sure what the plan is for tonight as I don't remember who marked him last year but they did a good job whoever it was.

I’m lazy

Expect Mellen to be on their best att who is Hawkins. Bomberry should be able to cover Cleveland. Mid Griffin Thomas was hi scorer for them with nearly forty last year. They are playing faster under new coach

A few other quick things I will be keeping an eye on.

How is the team with mental errors and turnovers. Those two were really an issue last year especially with turnovers, we had multiple games where we were in the high teens. Probably cost us the Cornell game in the tourney.

What does the second mid line look like with Buttermore Quinn and Carlin. Really interested to see how Buttermore and Quinn look with extended PT. Carlin's an enigma he's other on or hes quiet for 2 weeks, would love to see more consistency.

Does Cook see some time at middie? Who does he sub out for at attack? Does Seebold see any meaningful minutes after getting some extended pre-season run with out much in the stat sheet?

Does Fernandez play? Does Kennedy bump down to close if the D is a hot mess?

Does SU push tempo with the SSDM and LSM's? Kennedy Dearth Bomberry are all unafraid to shoot

Does Desko "tip his cap" to Colgate in the Post Game Presser?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom