Colgate Game Thread... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Game Thread...

Well can it get any worse than that?

I didn’t see Carlin at all tonight? Is he hurt/sick?
And did buttermore play?

Great question, I heard Buttermores name once and I dont think I heard Carlin's name at all. I know Magnan played at this point play Fiorini as well.

Defense isn’t the problem. Offense is and has been bad for a while and we have had one of the worst man up units for years. We struggle to even score 10 goals and this is a scoring game.

To not score 10 goals against this Colgate team is malpractice. ALbany scored 14 losing 85% of the draw last week. W T F

It's early and Colgate beat Cornell in the opener at home last year. They are a dangerous team and a skiddish offense will punish you with o middies forced to play d. Albany is the real acid test. Dont show up against them with all they lost and I will start waving the fire desktop flag with pride. No Dordevic and apparently no buttermore or Carlin. That's 3 of the top 6 mids out and it showed. Trimboli and rehfuss terrible. I'll stop there for now. But I'm not throwing in the towel just yet

The only thing providing a shred of sanity right now is Duke’s loss to High Point -

Defense isn’t the problem. Offense is and has been bad for a while and we have had one of the worst man up units for years. We struggle to even score 10 goals and this is a scoring game.

Bingo. The D wasn’t great but we lost because we crapped the bed on offense.

I have defended the staff through thick and thin but someone needs to be fired immediately even if it’s just scarmo bring Powell on staff this team needs a fresh face I would also fire the strength and conditioning coach SU players looked slow and lethargic t

Bingo. The D wasn’t great but we lost because we crapped the bed on offense.
We never had a lead which I think changes everything for the offense. Colgate controlled game from the start

Great question, I heard Buttermores name once and I dont think I heard Carlin's name at all. I know Magnan played at this point play Fiorini as well.

Managan played that one series on offense and wasn’t seen again correct?

How many times did the second line run? Or was it just combinations of the first line switched?
Good god who was the second line?

Could be in for a very long season. Writing seemed to be on the wall with the very first play, SU up to their old tricks by over running the ball off a face off and giving up a penalty.

Found the offense confounding - Trimboli and Rhefuss were especially bad tonight, I don’t think either registerd a point. They are supposed to be leaders and they played their worst selves - Rhefuss dodging to nowhere and Trimboli shooting the ball directly into the goalie’s stick the entire night. Wouldn’t be surprised if he led the team in shots and had nothing to show for it.

Not sure what to make of Cook. Made some nice moves but also had some big turnovers. Ultimately didn’t produce. SU looked very small on offense.

Curry was great and I won’t understand why he gave up the ball after his third goal with a short stick on him to Lipka who took a dreadful shot. That was pretty much game.

Cunningham and Bomberry looked like they were 100 years old. Dreadful defense from them all night. Same old story on defense.

Lots of players missing - Buttermore, Carlin, DiPietro.

Horriblly out coached all night. No semse of urgency, bad clears, clueless turnovers. Desko is the key of excuses and he has run out of them. They’ve been practicing for a month inside on a full field and they lost to a team that almost certainly did not. If a change is going to be made it will probably have to come with emense pressure from the alumni.

The team that played tonight - who are they favored against the rest of the way? Hobart? Maybe Navy? This could get very ugly.

Desko is way past his prime. He's worse off than P at end of his tenure. At least Pncouod blame his issues on lack of program investment. Desko has been passed by and his whole staff needs a shake up.

Getting killed in recruitment, getting killed on the field.

He probably should have been replaced 3-4 years ago.

He's

Early in the game Cleveland ran by Bomberry like he was a traffic cone. Maybe Kennedy should be moved to close D. I thought Porter played well. Phaup looked good even though he had no wing support. I don't know why they went back to Varello. Curry and Solomon had great second halves. The worst thing was getting beat on groundballs--it's so basic and it's about desire. Colgate just wanted it more.

Syracuse has lost 3 out of its last 4 games at home please correct me if I’m wrong

I guess we shouldn't be surprised, they played just like the reports from the scrimmages said. Sloppy offense that has poor choices on shot selection, placement, and timing. A defense that continues to struggle with communication and sliding, even though most of these guys have been in the system for three/four years. There were some good 1v1 match-ups that each guy held their ground but overall just wasn't in sync. Porter did a good job, a couple soft ones in but kept it from being a blow out that it probably should have been.

Phaup was a bright spot (8-13) even if they turned it over after winning the draw, but Desko/Donahue keep making poor decisions with FOGOs. Varello may have improved his game over the summer but he didn't have it against Feeney.

That first half where making a hit was more important than the ground ball hurts. They go after those balls like they did in the second half and maybe it a close win but a win at least.

I like what I see from Cook but it clearly shows he needs to adjust to the college level. He probably could have scored on that one possession I think it was in the second quarter. Dodging from behind the cage and he had the defender beat but decided to stop and then proceeded to roll right back into the defense.

Same old with Trimboli, shooting high to high. He might have caught goalies off guard his freshman year but not anymore two years later. Same could be said for Solomon, some nice moves but some awful decisions like dodging into three defenders especially with the flag down and just wildly shooting towards the cage. Quinn with a bad showing even though he got high praise during the off season/scrimmages. Bad showing by Rehfuss, hopefully we can just chalk it up to being not 100% from what kept him out last week. Not sold on Voigt being the third attackman though no one really had a great game on offense aside from maybe Curry.

Yeah it's only the first game but I still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Could be in for a very long season. Writing seemed to be on the wall with the very first play, SU up to their old tricks by over running the ball off a face off and giving up a penalty.

Found the offense confounding - Trimboli and Rhefuss were especially bad tonight, I don’t think either registerd a point. They are supposed to be leaders and they played their worst selves - Rhefuss dodging to nowhere and Trimboli shooting the ball directly into the goalie’s stick the entire night. Wouldn’t be surprised if he led the team in shots and had nothing to show for it.

Not sure what to make of Cook. Made some nice moves but also had some big turnovers. Ultimately didn’t produce. SU looked very small on offense.

Curry was great and I won’t understand why he gave up the ball after his third goal with a short stick on him to Lipka who took a dreadful shot. That was pretty much game.

Cunningham and Bomberry looked like they were 100 years old. Dreadful defense from them all night. Same old story on defense.

Lots of players missing - Buttermore, Carlin, DiPietro.

Horriblly out coached all night. No semse of urgency, bad clears, clueless turnovers. Desko is the key of excuses and he has run out of them. They’ve been practicing for a month inside on a full field and they lost to a team that almost certainly did not. If a change is going to be made it will probably have to come with emense pressure from the alumni.

If I could like this twice I would.

I had reasonable expectations for this team, but with this team the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts. They should really forget about behind the back passes, shots etc. They need to work on the fundamentals. As i said earlier, that was a tough game to watch.

The fate of this program has been evident now for several years. Tonight just confirmed the obvious. Hopefully Wildhack has begun his search for a new coach.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised, they played just like the reports from the scrimmages said. Sloppy offense that has poor choices on shot selection, placement, and timing. A defense that continues to struggle with communication and sliding, even though most of these guys have been in the system for three/four years. There were some good 1v1 match-ups that each guy held their ground but overall just wasn't in sync. Porter did a good job, a couple soft ones in but kept it from being a blow out that it probably should have been.

Phaup was a bright spot (8-13) even if they turned it over after winning the draw, but Desko/Donahue keep making poor decisions with FOGOs. Varello may have improved his game over the summer but he didn't have it against Feeney.

That first half where making a hit was more important than the ground ball hurts. They go after those balls like they did in the second half and maybe it a close win but a win at least.

I like what I see from Cook but it clearly shows he needs to adjust to the college level. He probably could have scored on that one possession I think it was in the second quarter. Dodging from behind the cage and he had the defender beat but decided to stop and then proceeded to roll right back into the defense.

Same old with Trimboli, shooting high to high. He might have caught goalies off guard his freshman year but not anymore two years later. Same could be said for Solomon, some nice moves but some awful decisions like dodging into three defenders especially with the flag down and just wildly shooting towards the cage. Quinn with a bad showing even though he got high praise during the off season/scrimmages. Bad showing by Rehfuss, hopefully we can just chalk it up to being not 100% from what kept him out last week. Not sold on Voigt being the third attackman though no one really had a great game on offense aside from maybe Curry.

Yeah it's only the first game but I still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling.

Excellent post, couldn't agree more with most of your thoughts especially on Trimbo, Solomon, Quinn, and Voigt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom