Colgate Game Thread... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Game Thread...

After tonight, I am not at all surprised at the Yale scrimmage despite us having almost 1 months head start. We would get blown off the field against any of the top 5 teams at this point of the season. I’ve always been someone who has admired what Desko has done for the program, but I think it gets to a point where you have to wonder if enough is enough...

Porter is a good stopper but is not vocal in the goal at all he gave up a lot of juicy rebounds which his senior laden defense completely failed to cover up for at all

After tonight, I am not at all surprised at the Yale scrimmage despite us having almost 1 months head start. We would get blown off the field against any of the top 5 teams at this point of the season. I’ve always been someone who has admired what Desko has done for the program, but I think it gets to a point where you have to wonder if enough is enough...
He needs to do what they did after 2007 there has to be a shakeup on the staff. I really thought it might happen over the summer I like all the members of the staff but this is D1 lacrosse not a popularity contest Desko needs to take ownership of this right away or this is going to be his farewell tour

It’s enough.

Our second line was disjointed from the jump. No chemistry as there seemed to be a revolving door with too much mixing and no continuity (but no Carlin, Buttermore or McKinney to my recollection). Was expecting and really curious to see what a line of Carlin, Quinn and Buttermore looked like. My worry was they could be too similar (bull dodging types), but hadn't seen enough of the two sophomores to pass judgement on their games/strengths. Saw too much of Quinn today. I'd call him Whirlpool because he moves like an appliance. He's not going to strike fear into a short-stick defender even with his lack of speed/movement and dodging ability; maybe he's a shooter, but he'll need dodgers to create space for him.

Our second line was disjointed from the jump. No chemistry as there seemed to be a revolving door with too much mixing and no continuity (but no Carlin, Buttermore or McKinney to my recollection). Was expecting and really curious to see what a line of Carlin, Quinn and Buttermore looked like. My worry was they could be too similar (bull dodging types), but hadn't seen enough of the two sophomores to pass judgement on their games/strengths. Saw too much of Quinn today. I'd call him Whirlpool because he moves like an appliance. He's not going to strike fear into a short-stick defender even with his lack of speed/movement and dodging ability; maybe he's a shooter, but he'll need dodgers to create space for him.

McKinney has a hand injury and is out for a while. No injury issue was noted for Carlin or Buttermore pre or post game.

Sorry - not sold on Quinn at all - wasn’t last year, still not - terrible shot selection - looks out of place on the field - someone please tell me why everyone is so high on him?
On paper from his bio: No. 13 overall recruit in the 2017 class according to Inside Lacrosse … No. 4 midfielder in the 2017 class according to Inside Lacrosse … 2017 Under Armour All-American … Two-time US Lacrosse All-American … Scored 342 points in high school, including 199 goals and 143 assists for the 2015 New York State Champions

McKinney has a hand injury and is out for a while. No injury issue was noted for Carlin or Buttermore pre or post game.
Thanks. Not sure what to make of McKinney as he seems to be a plug-in guy on various middie lines, but an injury explains his absence. I arrived probably 90 minutes before the whistle and saw both Carlin and Buttermore during pre-game drills; they weren't injured.

The 2nd mid line never really materialized. Only Quinn played, sometimes with Cook.

Seebold never got off the bench either.

Just a disgusting performance. If I'm JW I start looking to plan the next coach immediately after that one. Colgate is not a bad team, IMO, but holy cow. The biggest issue I have is with the lack of adjustments from season to season. The same issues have been issues for 7 years now really.

Players that saw time at attack were only, Rehfuss, Solomon, Voigt, Cook.

And the mids were, Curry, Trimboli, Lipka, Cook, Solomon.
And a couple runs or just one was managan, and buttermore.

Would like to have seen more people on offensive side get some run.

Everybody chill, come back in 2 months and check what you wrote tonight, if you’re still right the program is in trouble! If not once again they have turned it around and the coaches have done a good job!

Everybody chill, come back in 2 months and check what you wrote tonight, if you’re still right the program is in trouble! If not once again they have turned it around and the coaches have done a good job!

The program is in trouble. SU is 8-8 in its last 16 games. It has lost 3 of its last 4 home games. The lack of tourney success over a number of years has been well documented. This is just unacceptable for SU lacrosse. Desko has already been provided a lot of rope. Sure, let’s see if he can bring some life back to this team and the program. But I think we already know the answer.

I remember being at Garber in 2005 when the streak got broke alumni and fans wanted to burn Desko alive in the parking lot. 2006 things got really bad when they started 1-4 then Panarelli tossed the food table across the locker room they righted the ship went to the final 4 2007 things went really sideways Desko and the players took ownership changes were made and it resulted in back to back championships. So we have been here before i just keep waiting for someone to take ownership of what’s going on and start fixing problems. I still think Desko is an amazing coach but he has to be aggressive right here and now or it just maybe him that’s offered up as the sacrificial lamb

I mean I think we are past this point right now aren't we? That loss to me was inexcusable. I hate to get hyperbolic, but this team was replacing just two starters and lost to a team that finished with a losing record last season. They looked totally out of their depth despite playing a full fall ball and two pre-season scrimmages. What gives? Can't just throw up your hands and say "next time!"

The last time the team had losing record, you knew the team at least had a lot of talent - Hardy/Perrit, Nims, Leveille. This team I don't see the talent - Kennedy, Curry and Mellen were the only player last night who I thought looked to be "Syracuse Lacrosse Players". Furthermore, we haven't even addressed the fact that recruiting has fallen way off. Suffered big-time embarrassment with all the de-commits this past off-season and the next two classes do not look to be incredibly encouraging. I think Desko is an incredible coach but I think it has to be time to try something different.

On paper from his bio: No. 13 overall recruit in the 2017 class according to Inside Lacrosse … No. 4 midfielder in the 2017 class according to Inside Lacrosse … 2017 Under Armour All-American … Two-time US Lacrosse All-American … Scored 342 points in high school, including 199 goals and 143 assists for the 2015 New York State Champions

I was never sold on Quinn either and said as much. People bag on Joe Girard’s level of competition but same can be said of Quinn. All those stats, section 2 not a real lacrosse hotbed. Nisky blows out a lot of teams.

I remember being at Garber in 2005 when the streak got broke alumni and fans wanted to burn Desko alive in the parking lot. 2006 things got really bad when they started 1-4 then Panarelli tossed the food table across the locker room they righted the ship went to the final 4 2007 things went really sideways Desko and the players took ownership changes were made and it resulted in back to back championships. So we have been here before i just keep waiting for someone to take ownership of what’s going on and start fixing problems. I still think Desko is an amazing coach but he has to be aggressive right here and now or it just maybe him that’s offered up as the sacrificial lamb

That was 13 years ago and we just don’t have the mental makeup anymore. It was basically the last generation of old school players.

I’m going with Woody it’s a long season last year the team played a flawless game to start the season and it was up and down after that. The university isn’t firing Desko in season nor do I see Desko making any changes to the staff as much as I would like to see Ryan Powell on the sidelines as part of the staff I don’t see it happening now that the season is underway. I love lacrosse and especially Syracuse lacrosse I’ll be upset with every loss but I’ll never quit on them as a fan

Not going to overreact to one game.

We have some obvious spots that need tweaking but not a major overhaul.

Other upsets do not absolve Cuse loss but it does underscore that many good teams are struggling early as well.

No one expected Lehigh to score only three goals vs Hofstra or JHU to give up 17 to Towson or Duke being totally outplayed HP. Not going to short those three losers nor Cuse.

Let's look at a larger body of work before hitting the panic button.

Saw the Lehigh game. Their offense looked constipated. Took 25-30 seconds to sub every possession, leaving them less than 60 seconds. I don’t think Tristan Rai played in the first half. He looked good when he had the ball in his stick, but he didn’t have it enough. Just like Curry didn’t for Cuse.

Hofstra’s goalie also played really well (as did Lehigh’s).

Saw the Lehigh game. Their offense looked constipated. Took 25-30 seconds to sub every possession, leaving them less than 60 seconds. I don’t think Tristan Rai played in the first half. He looked good when he had the ball in his stick, but he didn’t have it enough. Just like Curry didn’t for Cuse.

Hofstra’s goalie also played really well (as did Lehigh’s).
Lehigh's Goalie kept them in it and as you said hofstra's keeper played very well too. Lehigh had a 2 man advantage in the second and couldn't put a shot on goal. Lehigh had the opportunity to put this game away and they gagged. Credit to Hofstra for not giving up, but a 4-3 final score when weather is not an issue is dismal.

All that needs to be done is to pull out Roy Simmons' playbooks, dust them off, run the team to score 12+ goals per game. Forget conventional wisdom of trying to place the perfect team on the field once the ball crosses midfield - it watses time and squanders opportunity. ATTACK! And when you're done attacking, ATTACK again! The bset part is that we have the players to make it work, they showed flashes yesterday.

Yes, we will give up a few more goals, but we will score many more goals. The team played best when they beat Colgate on the fly, using speed and skill. The set offense is designed to work for a perfect shot but ends up making these guys lazy (littlemovement off the ball). We must have a set offense, but we need the old fashioned transition game, too.

I agree with mindset Htown , also believe a true transition team starts from goalie on up- d,-midfield-attack whether by pass or foot. A full mindset applies pressure at both ends but personnel has to fit throughout to do so. Appears Colgate roster has been reshuffled and reshaped towards that vision. Virginia under Tiffany employs but much talked about process is taking time to implement.

Offensively, Cuse certainly has numbers at mid to employ but requires identifying those who can play up tempo and degree of drop off beyond first line. Requires couple of dodgers at attack, bit surprised that Seebold not tried some as change up in addition to Cook when attack was bogged down but it was only the first game and Im sure that we will see different looks as season progresses.

In regards to another post, guess reedny forgot team 17' squad less than two years removed that was #1 for several weeks. Guess it bump negative narrative some

I think it’s fair to say that none of the starting attack are locked in as starters. Reefus didn’t do anything against Colgate. I know he is a good player and has been a solid player in the past, but he was terrible on Friday. Voigt sounded like he had a solid preseason, but he too did nothing in the game. Solomon looked alright at best. He did score a few on man up and scored another easy goal. What I saw that was interesting was that Solomon and Cook seemed to have decent chemistry. I thought Cook seemed a little nervous as it was his first game. He made a bunch of mistakes that I'm sure he won’t make again. I think it’s time to give Seebold a shot, I think he can add something new and a change of pace that the attack could use. Maybe even add Curry to the attack considering he is more of a threat to score than the other attackman and will probably get a pole now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom