College basketball rule changes up for debate: Six fouls, quasi-quarters, reducing timeouts and more | Syracusefan.com

College basketball rule changes up for debate: Six fouls, quasi-quarters, reducing timeouts and more

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Likely to be recommended​

• Laptops, tablets allowed on the bench for coaching purposes only
  • Tweak traveling interpretation to universally allow players to Euro step, use spin moves and step-backs

Unlikely to be recommended​

• Widening the lane to 16 feet (currently 12 feet)
  • Award possession to defense after a held-ball
  • Eliminate 10-second backcourt rule
  • Allow offensive team to decline free throws in final two minutes and overtime(s); opt for inbound instead
  • Eliminate five-second closely guarded rule
  • Allow instant replay on shot-clock violation in final two minutes/overtime on a missed shot
  • Allow instant replay on basket interference/goaltending calls -- but only if/after an official calls the violation

Potential for two-year NIT trial period​

• Two-timeout limit per team with under two minutes in regulation and throughout overtime(s)
  • Eliminate offensive basket interference and use FIBA rule instead: ball is always live after it makes contact with the rim

Big debates await​

• Introduce quasi quarters by resetting team fouls at 10-minute mark of each half. Begin double bonus on fifth foul within each 10-minute segment. This eliminates the one-and-one free throw
  • Modified six-foul rule: player is allowed three fouls per half (would be disqualified if they committed four fouls in a half). However, a player can commit two or three first-half fouls and have as many four or three more to use for the remainder of the game, allowing for six total

Good information, but it bums me out. I'd love to see the lane widened and offensive team have the ability to decline free throws. To me those are the two most important rules.

The change I think is most needed is to make it harder for refs to call charges. It seems the refs call a charge 90% of the time contact is made. It is discouraging players from driving to the ball, discouraging inside play and driving the game to become an outside shooting contest.

Basketball players are great athletes. A big reason I watch is to see that athletic ability. I think teams are recruiting more shooters and perimeter players now in part because of this (look at us for instance).

Slashing should be part of the game. Blatant charges should be called but a lot of defenders move into the path of someone driving and cause collusions. That kind of thing is a block and needs to be called as such.

Please don't ruin the game. Enforce the rules.

The change I think is most needed is to make it harder for refs to call charges. It seems the refs call a charge 90% of the time contact is made. It is discouraging players from driving to the ball, discouraging inside play and driving the game to become an outside shooting contest.

Basketball players are great athletes. A big reason I watch is to see that athletic ability. I think teams are recruiting more shooters and perimeter players now in part because of this (look at us for instance).

Slashing should be part of the game. Blatant charges should be called but a lot of defenders move into the path of someone driving and cause collusions. That kind of thing is a block and needs to be called as such.

I agree with this. I would go as far as adding a defensive 5 second rule even though it would kill the 2-3 zone. You've got to open up the lane, and also stop rewarding defenders for sliding under jumping players.

I don't understand the pseudo- quarter concept. Why not just go to a full on quarter system and replace the media timeouts with the quarter break? Men's college bball is the only level where quarters aren't played.

Currently there are media timeouts at the 16:00, 12:00, 8:00 and 4:00 marks. 4 minute stretches.

You want to play 10 minute stretches with no commercials?

Even if you have commercials every 5 minutes, you're eliminating one entire commercial break.

Advertising pays the bills.

Currently there are media timeouts at the 16:00, 12:00, 8:00 and 4:00 marks. 4 minute stretches.

You want to play 10 minute stretches with no commercials?

Even if you have commercials every 5 minutes, you're eliminating one entire commercial break.

Advertising pays the bills.
I assume there will be occasional timeouts where commercials can be run, plus the quarter break that can be 2 or 3 x as long as a normal timeout. Not to mention, they can run ads during running play time instead of split screens showing court shots of the Duke-UNC warmups or previewing the halftime show.
There are multiple ways to skin this cat.

Likely to be recommended​

• Laptops, tablets allowed on the bench for coaching purposes only
  • Tweak traveling interpretation to universally allow players to Euro step, use spin moves and step-backs

Unlikely to be recommended​

• Widening the lane to 16 feet (currently 12 feet)
  • Award possession to defense after a held-ball
  • Eliminate 10-second backcourt rule
  • Allow offensive team to decline free throws in final two minutes and overtime(s); opt for inbound instead
  • Eliminate five-second closely guarded rule
  • Allow instant replay on shot-clock violation in final two minutes/overtime on a missed shot
  • Allow instant replay on basket interference/goaltending calls -- but only if/after an official calls the violation

Potential for two-year NIT trial period​

• Two-timeout limit per team with under two minutes in regulation and throughout overtime(s)
  • Eliminate offensive basket interference and use FIBA rule instead: ball is always live after it makes contact with the rim

Big debates await​

• Introduce quasi quarters by resetting team fouls at 10-minute mark of each half. Begin double bonus on fifth foul within each 10-minute segment. This eliminates the one-and-one free throw
  • Modified six-foul rule: player is allowed three fouls per half (would be disqualified if they committed four fouls in a half). However, a player can commit two or three first-half fouls and have as many four or three more to use for the remainder of the game, allowing for six total
So, with the approval of the Euro step, spin moves, and step backs, the pivot foot is no longer a thing.

The NBA-ification of the game continues.

Most of these potential rule changes are either stupid, or pointless. None of them really help improve the game in any substantial way.

College basketball is broken. And the only real way to fix it isn't any of these little rule changes. The solution is to allow kids to make money so you don’t have 100 underclassmen declare for the draft every year.

Moving up the block arch, eliminating charges in the lane or just eliminating charges all together could be tested.

I personally the spirit of the charge call is to penalize offensive players who forcibly make space where a defender defends. The way it’s applied now quite often penalizes players who have beaten their defender and are still trying to get to the hoop. It’s a momentum foul now.

So, with the approval of the Euro step, spin moves, and step backs, the pivot foot is no longer a thing.

The NBA-ification of the game continues.
Pretty soon we won't need to dribble if a player makes any kind of a move. Need to consider which fundamentals I teach my kids and project which ones will be phased out in the next 5 years.

Sad. God forbid kids learn and develop things that require effort and discipline.

Sad that this is considered "Unlikely':

Allow offensive team to decline free throws in final two minutes and overtime(s); opt for inbound instead.

What is so crazy about this? Maybe I have a recency bias and remember how inept our own team was at this, but I don't see much of an advantage to in-bounding unless a bad free throw shooter was fouled. If the idea is to speed up the game when one team resorts to intentional fouls, allowing the in-bounds choice by itself won't stop the hack-fest. I would consider the 13th team foul under 2 minutes to award 1 free throw PLUS an in-bounds option. OR... for the purely in-bounds option as presented in the article... allow 10 seconds to in-bounds with complete freedom of movement on the baseline.

But why focus on such common-sense changes, when they can add to the thuggery in college basketball by adding another foul at players' disposal, widening the lane, and experimenting with timeout rules?

I don't understand the pseudo- quarter concept. Why not just go to a full on quarter system and replace the media timeouts with the quarter break? Men's college bball is the only level where quarters aren't played.
I agree that the pseudo-quarters rule is silly. Totally disagree about going to quarters because it would create 2 more opportunities to play for the last shot. I can only speak for myself, but I don't think it's very enjoyable to watch the PG stand near the midcourt line and dribble for 20-some odd seconds. It's bad enough that they do it twice now, but four times? No thanks.

The best proposed rule change was being able to decline free throws. It's a shame they won't even try it out in the NIT.

The best proposed rule change was being able to decline free throws. It's a shame they won't even try it out in the NIT.
Agree. Makes no sense to not even give it a trial. It's not fundamentally changing the game, it's just reducing the incentive to hack and foul at the end of the game.

I am for eliminating the 1 and 1 but I don’t want 5 fouls to be the threshold for shooting foul shots.

I am all for fewer timeouts during the course of the game. Some games are unwatchable because of the number of stoppages. Make the halftime all commercials. Go split screen on free throws but please reduce time outs.