College Fight Songs ... | Syracusefan.com

College Fight Songs ...

cto

Administrator
This is an evergreen topic here, but I thought of it again while watching George HW Bush's funeral today.

Did anyone see what happened when his funeral train arrived at College Station? (Although a son of Connecticut and Yale, the longtime Texan built his Presidential Library at Texas A&M).

The train was greeted by a military band ... not playing patriotic or religious songs after a very brief "Hail to the Chief" ... . but playing "Aggie War Hymn," the Texas A&M fight song. Universally recognized and totally awesome. One of my favorites.. along with Wisconsin, Michigan and Notre Dame.

Last edited:
ND has the only one better than ours. I like when the Oklahoma schools play Oklahoma! too. Ours is money!!!!

Miami’s is very underrated. One of the best IMO.

My brother is an Aggie. I’ve been to two games at College Station and they take this song seriously. The night before they played K State we were at a bar and at 1130, the band stopped playing and the Aggie War Hymn was played over the PA system. Everyone got together on the dance floor, arm in arm and sang the damn song. I was floored. You’d never see that at Sutters or Chucks. Then everyone emptied the bar and went to the stadium for midnight yell. Mind blown again.

My high school team in CT barely -- just barely -- has a band, but it sickens me that the two fight songs they play are ND and UConn.

Oh to convert them to anything else -- Victors, On Wisconsin, even the Yale fight song which is quite good.

Or maybe, just maybe, On Down The Field.

Miami’s is very underrated. One of the best IMO.

Ha! Totally. I remember this well now. I used them all the time when gaming back in the day playing the NCAA football games on PlayStation 2/3.

I agree with (in no particular order): ND, Mich, USC, TAMU, but this one is awesome too!

Reactions: cto
Obviously SU's is my sentimental favorite, but besides that USC's is by far my favorite. It's so dramatic and gets me fired up.

I’m not going to lie there have been several times I have been humming the Syracuse fight song out loud at work.

When I think of college football I think of that song.

Rocky Top
Ugh. There are idiot fans of Tennessee that think the somg was written specifically for the school. It was not. It is about a place in the smoky mountains and was later adopted by the university.

Obviously SU's is my sentimental favorite, but besides that USC's is by far my favorite. It's so dramatic and gets me fired up.

This. USC is by far my favorite after Down The Field.

UCLA has an interesting fight song too. Not nearly as powerful as cross town, but one of those that you can’t get out of your head.

I also like the fight songs at Michigan/ND (obviously), Ohio State, Texas, Penn State (holds nose).

Oklahoma won worst fight song for the 113th consecutive year. A streak that’s safer than DiMaggio, UCLA, Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan, Wayne Gretzky combined.

I will go from a different angle, 3 that make me want to hurl.
ND
Michigan
Ohio State

Two I love
Syracuse
USC
( SU may not be great, but we just scored)

“Eyes of Texas” is the laziest I’m sure we can all agree on that.

Aren't y'all on here a little soon?

I've lurked here for years. Usually enjoy that old dude that posts the historical threads here and there.. I think TexanMark?