College three point line is a joke | Syracusefan.com

College three point line is a joke

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Time to move it back. Analytics experts will tell you that with the line as close as it is...you are statistically better off just shooting nothing but threes (provided you actually have some shooters)

teams are always slow to adjust, often stuck in the old ways..but now its becoming more and more clear that many teams have figured it out...

for example, Michigan state attempted 19 3's in the first half tonight and only 3 two point fg's!

Is that the type of game we want?

In the NBA, teams have started doing this as well...and that line is much further back...with a shorter shot clock.

If they dont move the line back significantly..and soon..i fear within two years or so we are going to have nothing but three point shooting contests going on in the college game.

I also think the shot clock should be reduced to thirty seconds.

Is that the type of game we want?

In the NBA, teams have started doing this as well...and that line is much further back...with a shorter shot clock.

If they dont move the line back significantly..and soon..i fear within two years or so we are going to have nothing but three point shooting contests going on in the college game.
Why bother if it doesn't even cut down on threes?

Also sour grapes.

Why bother if it doesn't even cut down on threes?

Also sour grapes.

its got nothing to do with our situation. i just hate the chucking game that most teams play these days. Im more interested in games with a variety of offensive strategies and player / ball movement..

as far as predicting it will not reduce the number of threes...I dont see how you can know that. When they moved it back the first time, it didnt do anything because it was not big enough of a change. And NBA teams have vastly superior players to college teams so its not an apples to apples comparison.. Take it to the extreme...if they made it so you had to make a half court shot for a three..nobody would take them. Im not asking for that...just move it back to the nba line...it also opens up the interior for passing / cutting...etc.

I'm hoping JB swings the zone around and plays the 3-2 against Duke...couchburn

Time to move it back. Analytics experts will tell you that with the line as close as it is...you are statistically better off just shooting nothing but threes (provided you actually have some shooters)

Indeed. Score one for analytics. All of us kenpom/sabermetric geeks rejoice!
Pitino figured this out a long time ago.

The way the old guard talks about the 3ball it's as if they think 2s are worth 5 and 3s are worth 6...
The difference between 2pts and 3pts is much much greater than that...

Duke & Creighton this year have the most efficient offenses of the last 12yrs...it's incredible.

It is shot so much now, and by so many different players it doesn't have any special feel to it at all any more. It almost feels like the multi color money ball in the old NBA 3 point contest all star weekend-- nothing different about the shot, just if your feet happen to hit that spot you get a bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom