Come on down, ECU? | Syracusefan.com

Come on down, ECU?

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel

And the Big East is looking hard at ... wow ... East Carolina. What I'm hearing.

No surprise there. Not located in any state where other Big East teams already exist. Nova doesn't want Temple. USF doesn't want UCF. UCONN doesn't want UMASS. I don't think TCU would object to Houston, but if what has been reported is true the BE wouldn't want another Texas team. That pretty much leaves the Pirates and the academies. Turf protection inhibited the Big East's ability to expand when it desperately needed to last year and looks about ready to kill the BE this year.

YUCK, Thank god

Agree. I really think that the peeps in Providence want to add ECU because they think it is taking a shot at the ACC. I can see it now...

Marinatto: So the ACC is thinking of moving its BBall tourney to MSG, our home base? How dare they! I will show them by adding ECU, a team from their home base in Carolina. That will show them! It's on now, ACC. You picked a fight with the wrong guy.

No surprise there. Not located in any state where other Big East teams already exist. Nova doesn't want Temple. USF doesn't want UCF. UCONN doesn't want UMASS. I don't think TCU would object to Houston, but if what has been reported is true the BE wouldn't want another Texas team. That pretty much leaves the Pirates and the academies. Turf protection inhibited the Big East's ability to expand when it desperately needed to last year and looks about ready to kill the BE this year.

How ridiculous is that? Somebody send this to those bleeding hearts out there that seem to think Syracuse is the biggest turncoat since ol Benedict. Let them see how even the most meager attempt to save the conference was shot down because schools were afraid of a little competition when all they should have been seeing was opportunity. And worse yet, is when some of the voices shouldn't have had one in the first place... While I shudder at the stench of desperation that wafts into the Providence HQ from bringing back Temple, WHO THE HELL CARES WHAT NOVA THINKS!!!???

Who cares what Villanova thinks, they don't have a real football team. If they want a Big East Conference, they're going to have to suck it up.

Also, a school that no one brings up that could be a fit: Tulane.

UConn and UMass are not in the same state. Just giving you a heads up.

If I'm the SEC I can understand the view point of not wanting competing teams in the conference from states the conference is already in. The SEC dominates most of the states in the southeast due to their superior product. However, a conference like the BE should seriously reconsider their turf protection mindset. It's not like South Florida dominates its state. What the BE needs is interesting games to sell, and rivalry games are one way to create some interesting games. Even rivalries from smaller schools can get heated, and those games are more fun to watch - and will fill the seats which looks better on TV. IF (big IF) WVA was to stay in the BE, then adding Marshall would be a good game to sell to TV as a part of a total package. They really need to reconsider this silly turf protection business and start thinking more about the future with trying to create and establish an interesting football product. Adding Memphis, as bad as they are in football, introduces more rivalry games into the TV package with L'Ville and Cincy. Of course, the BE is likely going to have to wait until after the Big-12, SEC, ACC and maybe B1G are finished expanding before the BE will know what's left. They probably will not be able to be as picky as they seem to be acting ATM.

greggdoyelcbs Gregg Doyel

And the Big East is looking hard at ... wow ... East Carolina. What I'm hearing.

Don't know if it is true, but I said that the day we went to the ACC. The BE will go after ECU to give them a presence (no matter how small) in the middle of ACC land.

"UConn and UMass are not in the same state. Just giving you a heads up."

Yeah, I know. Threw that one in there at the last minute as another example of turf protection without clarifying. The two schools are very close together, however, and recruit the same territory. Husky fans don't fear a UMASS in the MAC, but know that sharing the same league with those guys would have a negative impact on their recruiting.

True. But Storrs and Amherst are equally boondocky. :)

True. But Storrs and Amherst are equally boondocky. :)

I've only driven through Amherst, but there is no way it's as boondocky as Storrs. Storrs shouldn't even be considered a town, it's more of an outpost.

It would be funny as hell if UConn had to deal with UMass while they were program-building.

"UConn and UMass are not in the same state. Just giving you a heads up."

Yeah, I know. Threw that one in there at the last minute as another example of turf protection without clarifying. The two schools are very close together, however, and recruit the same territory. Husky fans don't fear a UMASS in the MAC, but know that sharing the same league with those guys would have a negative impact on their recruiting.
UMass in a BCS conference would be very interesting. Big, big school, they have a great fan base for hockey, probably would support a football team well. Depending on how well they recruited, and from what areas, they would have potential to do big things. Especially since everyone in MA hates BC.

ECU is a good choice for the Big East. I can see them and WVU making a nice football rivalry, however they would get curb stomped in basketball.

UMass
UConn
Rutgers
East Carolina
Cincinnati
West Virginia
TCU
South Florida
Houston?
Central Florida?
Memphis?

UMass
UConn
Rutgers
East Carolina
Cincinnati
West Virginia
TCU
South Florida
Houston?
Central Florida?
Memphis?

I just threw up... because Cinci, Ville won't be around much longer

UMass
UConn
Rutgers
East Carolina
Cincinnati
West Virginia
TCU
South Florida
Houston?
Central Florida?
Memphis?
I think they could lure Temple and UB from the MAC. Maybe take Marshall too?

If the BE loses WVU, UL, TCU and UC to the Big 12, the rest of the schools will need to make a decision if they want to be an Eastern league with some smalltime stadiums/programs or if they want to go with bigger programs, no identify and a huge footprint.

If TCU, UL, UC and WVU all leave the BE for the Big 12, it will be a disaster for Eastern football. What a mess.

If the BE loses WVU, UL, TCU and UC to the Big 12, the rest of the schools will need to make a decision if they want to be an Eastern league with some smalltime stadiums/programs or if they want to go with bigger programs, no identify and a huge footprint.

If TCU, UL, UC and WVU all leave the BE for the Big 12, it will be a disaster for Eastern football. What a mess.

No, it'll be a disaster for UConn and Rutgers. I'm fine with this.

The Big MAC?

I can't be the first.

And I hope I don't get sued.

The Big MAC?

I can't be the first.

And I hope I don't get sued.

UConn
UMass
Rutgers
Temple
Cincinnati
East Carolina
South Florida
Central Florida
Houston
Memphis

10 teams, USF is going to have to suck it up if they want to play in a conference, I have no idea why the Big 12 would want Cincinnati. I think you call it "ConferenceUSA+"

Amherst is a very nice town, as is Northampton, which is about 15 minutes west of UMASS (except on game day). Lots of college students in that area with Amherst College, Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke and Smith. Very different atmoshere than Storrs. I've been over to watch a few UMASS games. Saw Jeremy Horne play against Bryant a couple years back. Most impressive guy on the field but from a distance his legs looked so thin they could have been broken with a butter knife. Never imagined an NFL career based on what I saw then.

SU2NASA

Why would USF and RU want to stay in the BE if the other 4 left? They can just go to CUSA and get away from the BBall schools. UConn has incentive to stay for BBall and likely does the same deal as Temple and UMass in the MAC for FB only.

Eastern Football would then be Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Maryland and the rest of the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom