Coming up for FSU, looking for advice | Syracusefan.com

Coming up for FSU, looking for advice

CuseFLA

Walk On
Hello. 40+ year Orange fan coming up for FSU game. I have seen the Orange in 11 stadiums from Maryland to Tampa to Baton Rouge but have never been up to Syracuse. Flying in Friday night and out noon on Sunday so probably wont have time for exploring. Hopefully the game will be in a night slot so we can do things during the day. We are staying at Homewood Suites in East Syracuse. Where would you recommend we get tickets. I like first rows in upper deck corners. It gives a good view of the action and in my opinion better sight lines. What about parking? What is there to do on gameday? Are there any don't miss activities? Son is a FSU student and will be wearing FSU gear (rooting for SU, I Hope). Will fans treat him cordially? Looking forward to seeing my team on their home turf and would like to partake in a true Syracuse CFB experience. All suggestions welcomed.
Very bummed about CU game. The officiating was abysmal, and the ACC owes fans an explanation. This week has been like a funeral. Living in SEC/ ACC country , I have had fans from top southern teams tell me that the refs screwed us. They want an explanation. College football fans need and deserve an explanation. The number of fans saying the game is fixed and corrupt seems to multiply each season. Is college football another American institution that is dying? Sorry for the officiating rant.
Looking forward to hearing many recommendations for our visit.

I sit in the upper corners and wouldn’t have it any other way, I would just check out stubhub if I were you.

For parking, I’m telling you right now nothing beats the North Manley lot. You can easily walk (15- 20 minutes) to the Dome or take the shuttle to and from. But more importantly, you will meet the most wonderful tailgating group you can ever imagine. I love these guys.

For the true SU CFB experience as you put it, hang around the main quad before the game. Personally I prefer tailgating the whole time but that’s me.

I sit in the upper corners and wouldn’t have it any other way, I would just check out stubhub if I were you.

For parking, I’m telling you right now nothing beats the North Manley lot. You can easily walk (15- 20 minutes) to the Dome or take the shuttle to and from. But more importantly, you will meet the most wonderful tailgating group you can ever imagine. I love these guys.

For the true SU CFB experience as you put it, hang around the main quad before the game. Personally I prefer tailgating the whole time but that’s me.

How early do you have to arrive at Manley to be able to get a spot?

Hello. 40+ year Orange fan coming up for FSU game. I have seen the Orange in 11 stadiums from Maryland to Tampa to Baton Rouge but have never been up to Syracuse. Flying in Friday night and out noon on Sunday so probably wont have time for exploring. Hopefully the game will be in a night slot so we can do things during the day. We are staying at Homewood Suites in East Syracuse. Where would you recommend we get tickets. I like first rows in upper deck corners. It gives a good view of the action and in my opinion better sight lines. What about parking? What is there to do on gameday? Are there any don't miss activities? Son is a FSU student and will be wearing FSU gear (rooting for SU, I Hope). Will fans treat him cordially? Looking forward to seeing my team on their home turf and would like to partake in a true Syracuse CFB experience. All suggestions welcomed.
Very bummed about CU game. The officiating was abysmal, and the ACC owes fans an explanation. This week has been like a funeral. Living in SEC/ ACC country , I have had fans from top southern teams tell me that the refs screwed us. They want an explanation. College football fans need and deserve an explanation. The number of fans saying the game is fixed and corrupt seems to multiply each season. Is college football another American institution that is dying? Sorry for the officiating rant.
On game day, I would head up to the quad (the open area at the heart of the main campus). SUAD sets up some tents and has a lot for fans to check out and enjoy. There is food, drink, chances to meet SU athletes in other sports. The SU marching band will be playing on the steps at Hendricks. I think they have TVs there so you can watch other games that are being played. Nice atmosphere.

I think anyone in FSU gear will get some good natured trash talk but SU fans are known for being friendly and nice. I do not expect he will have any problems unless he starts talking trash or putting down SU.

Get to the parking lot early, get to the quad early, and get to your seats in the dome early. It is going to be a sellout or close to a sellout and the concourses will be jammed up late. If you get there early, you can walk around and check out the facility. With the recent renovations it is really nice and unique.

After the game, if you really want to full experience, walk with the crowd down to Marshall Street and celebrate the win down there. Go to the Varsity pizza place and watch the band flip the FSU banner. And get some SU gear to strut around in when you go to the Orange Bowl. ;)

Easiest way to get to the dome on time may just be taking the $25 uber to shaughnessy’s where they have a $2 there and back after the game shuttle. It took me 10 mins maybe to get to the dome 30 mins prior to kickoff from that shuttle vs NCSU and 20 mins to get back to the bar after the game. Super convenient, non stop shuttle service.

More convenient imo than the headache parking can be

Easiest way to get to the dome on time may just be taking the $25 uber to shaughnessy’s where they have a $2 there and back after the game shuttle. It took me 10 mins maybe to get to the dome 30 mins prior to kickoff from that shuttle vs NCSU and 20 mins to get back to the bar after the game. Super convenient, non stop shuttle service.

Thanks for the recommendations. We don’t mind walking. Our spot for fsu is a 25-30 minute walk to the stadium. When I look up Manley lot it shows Comstock lot. Is that the same lot? I presume it’s safe if it’s a night game? Actually any game would be dark at completion. It sounds like the pregame activities are at the quad. It only looks about 10 minutes walk from the dome. Is that correct? Is there a pregame bar/ restaurant to eat? What I’m asking is , most college towns have a pregame hangout. Where is Syracuse hangout? We like tailgating but won’t know anyone to tailgate with. Also if the game is at night, we would like to do some local exploring. Is there a nice hike with some elevation within 30-45 minutes of the dome? Go Orange!

Thanks for the recommendations. We don’t mind walking. Our spot for fsu is a 25-30 minute walk to the stadium. When I look up Manley lot it shows Comstock lot. Is that the same lot? I presume it’s safe if it’s a night game? Actually any game would be dark at completion. It sounds like the pregame activities are at the quad. It only looks about 10 minutes walk from the dome. Is that correct? Is there a pregame bar/ restaurant to eat? What I’m asking is , most college towns have a pregame hangout. Where is Syracuse hangout? We like tailgating but won’t know anyone to tailgate with. Also if the game is at night, we would like to do some local exploring. Is there a nice hike with some elevation within 30-45 minutes of the dome? Go Orange!

Yes comstock lot is the Manley lot

The quad will have food trucks etc

They also will be serving alcohol. The quad is literally right next to the dome. I would say a 10 min walk would be long.

Because the downtown area is a bit separated from campus not really a hang out place. However, down by Marshall Street there is Faegans and Varsity Pizza which are both worth a visit. Varsity especially after we beat FSU for the flipping of the banner

There is Green Lakes State park nearby Syracuse that might be of interest to you. I also suggest Chittenango Falls too as well. Don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the options for a hike nearby.

To each their own, but I've never cared for the Manley/Skytop area. It feels like Tailgating Siberia to me -- like you're just way too removed from the energy of campus/Marshall Street. And then having to take a shuttle bus, ugh.

IMO, nothing beats the lot at the intersection of University and Adams just north of Marshall Square Mall.

To each their own, but I've never cared for the Manley/Skytop area. It feels like Tailgating Siberia to me -- like you're just way too removed from the energy of campus/Marshall Street. And then having to take a shuttle bus, ugh.

IMO, nothing beats the lot at the intersection of University and Adams just north of Marshall Square Mall.
I agree and the line to get the shuttle after NC State was at the Ernie Davis statue

Tailgate all day, but leave an hour and a half before kickoff to enjoy the quad and see the band on the steps of Hendricks Chapel. Great tailgating all over campus. Manley North/South ( now called Comstock Ave lot) is a great choice with free shuttles directly to the quad. You can't go wrong anywhere though really. No one will be a jerk to your son, unless he asks for it haha.

I agree and the line to get the shuttle after NC State was at the Ernie Davis statue
I used to tailgate at the eye center right at that intersection. The energy on Marshall st has died in recent years compared to what it used to be. The energy seems to be spread out everywhere now. When is the last time you actually tried tailgating at Manley or Skytop? Just because they are farther from campus doesn't mean there isn't hundreds of people tailgating right next to you. I honestly love the urban tailgating we have at Syracuse. Its more interesting than all the other tailgating scenes ive been a part of because it isn't just one giant hunk of people. I mean there are people that tailgate under 81 lol. Its all over the place and fun.

That's where we tailgate! Always a great atmosphere!

Are you the group along Adams on the other side of the eye center?

No, typically just a group of 7 or 8 of us. But we're usually posted up right next to the big group that has the loud music and U-Haul truck.

No, typically just a group of 7 or 8 of us. But we're usually posted up right next to the big group that has the loud music and U-Haul truck.
Oh in the lot behind the eye center? Nice. Any chance you played thunderstruck with that group that always does it? Thunderstruck is a drinking game; for those not having tried it. We stopped tailgating on the lawn at the corner of Avery and University 2 years ago cause we were annoyed with the people running the lot.

Oh in the lot behind the eye center? Nice. Any chance you played thunderstruck with that group that always does it? Thunderstruck is a drinking game; for those not having tried it. We stopped tailgating on the lawn at the corner of Avery and University 2 years ago cause we were annoyed with the people running the lot.

Yeah the lot adjacent to the eye center. There was a proposal to build a massive student housing facility on that lot a few years back, but I'm assuming it's no longer in the works. I've never even heard of that drinking game so no haha.

I used to tailgate at the eye center right at that intersection. The energy on Marshall st has died in recent years compared to what it used to be. The energy seems to be spread out everywhere now. When is the last time you actually tried tailgating at Manley or Skytop? Just because they are farther from campus doesn't mean there isn't hundreds of people tailgating right next to you. I honestly love the urban tailgating we have at Syracuse. Its more interesting than all the other tailgating scenes ive been a part of because it isn't just one giant hunk of people. I mean there are people that tailgate under 81 lol. Its all over the place and fun.
Good stuff. Thanks so much for the replies. Once game time is announced, I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions. Let’s Go Orange!

Good stuff. Thanks so much for the replies. Once game time is announced, I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions. Let’s Go Orange!

There is also always the Enrique’s SyraCRUZ tailgate down in the Henry Street lot

However, demand is very high to attend that tailgate and is limited to a certain amount of people.

RSVPs happen on this site and usually occur about a week out from the game.

But $20 per person all you can eat/drink plus you can help support an NIL venture put on by the very people of this board

Clark Reservation is about 10-15 minutes from the Dome, you can get a few nice views such as this one in about a 30 minute hike.

1666922983042.jpeg

Parking at Skytop parking. Sky top road. Shuttles brings you right there...

Skytop takes forever. It's like an extra mile.

Does Shaughnessy's still have a good pre-game bar atmosphere? Our hotel is near there this weekend, and since it's a nooner, thinking of going there for a few pops, then doing the shuttle up.

Not to sound like an alcoholic (but let's not kid ourselves), does the Cuse on the Quad thing sell beer?

Does Shaughnessy's still have a good pre-game bar atmosphere? Our hotel is near there this weekend, and since it's a nooner, thinking of going there for a few pops, then doing the shuttle up.

Not to sound like an alcoholic (but let's not kid ourselves), does the Cuse on the Quad thing sell beer?

I haven't been to one in a few years, so I can't speak on the atmosphere, but I do know that they still do it: