New Recruit:
Servais

Not Contacted:
Palmer
Ginnetti
Riggins
Brinson
Parker?

To have a complete listing, you should probably also list the De-Committed guys too.
Stubbs
Harper

Should probably pin this one for a bit.

Correct me where I'm wrong:

Contacted and offer re-affirmed:
Culpepper
Neal
DeGeorge
Brouse
Heckel
Holloway
Bradshaw

Contacted:
Scott

New Recruit:
Servais

Not Contacted:
Palmer
Ginnetti
Riggins
Brinson
Parker
Palmer

De-Committed
Stubbs
Harper
Fixed and added too.

Especially since I don't think he signed papers before Shafer was fired.

Can anybody clarify as to exactly (or at least, roughly) how many Schollies we actually have to offer in this cycle?

I recall hearing it was 18, but there have since been departures, etc, so perhaps it is currently more than that?
Someplace else I recently saw somebody state that we had 65 returning, so we'd have 20 for this cycle.

(and I guess Sugar Bear could jump to the NFL, perhaps some RS Juniors are encouraged to take their Degrees and depart, etc.)

We currently have 7 reaffirms, and 1 new. Plus the other 2 who were contacted.
So, it seems like we could have 8-10+ more - of which, maybe some of the not-contacted list might still get one, if the new staff doesn't find somebody they like better.

Can anybody clarify as to exactly (or at least, roughly) how many Schollies we actually have to offer in this cycle?

I recall hearing it was 18, but there have since been departures, etc, so perhaps it is currently more than that?
Someplace else I recently saw somebody state that we had 65 returning, so we'd have 20 for this cycle.

(and I guess Sugar Bear could jump to the NFL, perhaps some RS Juniors are encouraged to take their Degrees and depart, etc.)

We currently have 7 reaffirms, and 1 new. Plus the other 2 who were contacted.
So, it seems like we could have 8-10+ more - of which, maybe some of the not-contacted list might still get one, if the new staff doesn't find somebody they like better.

You know there's a whole thread dedicated to this:

http://syracusefan.com/threads/2016-fishes-and-loaves-report.89642/

20 scholarships currently available (pending any departures or decommitts).

Plus I would say right now we are at 8 firm commits and that is it at the moment.

Sorry - I hadn't checked that one in a while, did not realize it was updated recently.
OK, move along, nothing to see here... Feel free to delete this, and the prior post.
You aren't the first and you won't be the last. No worries.

Incredible that we could have a signing day class mostly made up of new guys.
With offers still rolling out my guess is that the only true commits we have right now are the ones that have scheduled OVs.

if the OP's list is correct it just isn't right that four commits have not yet been contacted. If the new staff doesn't have those kids in their plans fine, but they are all owed a courtesy call one way or the other.

if the OP's list is correct it just isn't right that four commits have not yet been contacted. If the new staff doesn't have those kids in their plans fine, but they are all owed a courtesy call one way or the other.
No one knows if they have been contacted or not. And just because they are contacted and told that their commitment will be honored it doesn't mean they will ever play at SU.

newmexicuse said:

Categorization is based purely on published information at this point. Coaches can't discuss so we're going by Twitter feeds and / or blog posts.

I, for one, welcome our CuseLegacy & OrangeXtreme overlords.
giphy.gif

:D

To answer your question -- regardless of how many threads there are on the topic -- no. I don't think the most connected person here and probably no one on the staff could really answer the question as to how many commitments they'll take in a given year until they actually get down the final few guys in February.

I'm not saying your question is a bad one, but merely that it is impossible to answer these days. I feel like there was a time in the 90s where this question made a ton more sense. Yes, there were always departures in the off-season or a non-qualifier here or there, but for a long time a few things were true:

-- The roster had a lot more stability to it. Yeah, there could be a transfer or two and an a career-ending injury from time to time, but there wasn't a ton of kids jumping ship each year, getting kicked off, getting ruled medically ineligible due to concussions, or not being offered a 5th year. There also weren't as many early NFL entries -- you could pretty much assume that anyone not in the Freeney/McNabb/Donovin Darius class would likely use up all of their eligibility and even those aforementioned guys were exhausted their eligibility. Now we get kids giving up a year to go undrafted. Happens a lot. All that makes number of scholarships nearly impossible to predict.

-- Commits used to be committed, by and large. Yeah, there were times when a kid might back out but usually when you got a commit in the P era, that kid would still be a commit in February. It was so much the case that everyone was furious when Schiano came in and started actively recruiting syracuse commits early and often. Well, fast-forward 10 or 15 years and now for every 20 kids you sign, you'll probably have close to 3 or 4 who initially commit but end up elsewhere.

-- New style of recruiting. That previous point sort of overlaps with this one, but with everyone poaching each other's recruits, kids getting grayshirted, a ton of kids getting offered, committing, signing and then not qualifying, coaching changes, early enrollees ... anyway, you get the point. You can pretty much bank on three or four decommits, 2-3 non-qualifiers signing and 2-3 early enrollees being back-dated to the previous class. Anyway, even if you only have 20 schollies available in that particular class, you are probably going to get 25+ signatures on signing day plus another 2, 3, 4 kids who originally committed and ended up elsewhere.

Anyway, bottom line for me is, bank on SU bringing at least 20 kids on campus each year and bank on close to 25 signing each year. It's the new way and should save a lot of people work and headaches in the process.

Correct me where I'm wrong:

Scholarships available:

Contacted and offer re-affirmed:
Culpepper
Neal
DeGeorge
Brouse
Heckel
Holloway
Bradshaw

Contacted:
Scott
Brinson

New Recruit:
Servais
Ruff

Not Contacted:
Palmer
Ginnetti
Riggins

De-Committed
Stubbs
Harper
Parker
A little concerned about no contact with
palmer.
usually that means he doesn't fit Baber's offense. I love these kind of lists,good job!!

Syracuse has about 7 fairly solid 2016 commits. Can't count Brouse, DeGeorge, Brinson, Scott, and Palmer. And dead period is right about now, right?

Last edited:
Brouse is a decommit.
And I'm guessing we have the 3 others listed as "Can't count" in Orijinal's post as decommits sooner or later. Trust the system and coaches or start to panic. You make the call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom