Commitment Situation for 2020 | Syracusefan.com

Commitment Situation for 2020

stone567

Walk On
Could someone kindly confirm what is the commitment situation for next year??? Are there any spots available if no one leaves early??? Would Buddy actually come off scholarship, if necessary??? What if I. Jackson and Richmond want to commit??? What is the deal???

Not many minutes.

I kind of love the idea of having a proven veteran team. Its been a while because our players get their heads filled with NBA talk if they are any good. If Guerrier goes for 20 and 10 vs UVA it'll start up again. If we can get through this year with none of that crap and him and Elijah accept they aren't going to be lottery picks we don't need any burger boys.

My only reservation is we might be tying up scholarships on some big men who aren't very good and aren't ACC level but I'm refering to guys I haven't seen play yet and could be totally wrong and we are also using a scholly on a PG I expect to never play meaningful minutes.

Not many minutes.

I kind of love the idea of having a proven veteran team. Its been a while because our players get their heads filled with NBA talk if they are any good. If Guerrier goes for 20 and 10 vs UVA it'll start up again. If we can get through this year with none of that crap and him and Elijah accept they aren't going to be lottery picks we don't need any burger boys.

My only reservation is we might be tying up scholarships on some big men who aren't very good and aren't ACC level but I'm refering to guys I haven't seen play yet and could be totally wrong and we are also using a scholly on a PG I expect to never play meaningful minutes.
Actually, admittedly based on a small sample size, Howard Washington has been the best PG on the team the last 2 years.

Could someone kindly confirm what is the commitment situation for next year??? Are there any spots available if no one leaves early??? Would Buddy actually come off scholarship, if necessary??? What if I. Jackson and Richmond want to commit??? What is the deal???
technically, there is one spot open for the class of 2020. woody newton has made a verbal commitment to account for that spot.

but there are multiple avenues by which one or two more slots can opened

This post looks like it was written by The Riddler.

1570902311830.png

I think I had those shoes when I was like 11 yrs old back in the mid-60s. My mom would take me to the shoe store and I'd wind up with Hush Puppies, Stride Rite's, or something like the pair Frank Gorshen is wearing above . . . those look like classic Thom McAn slip-ons with a side buckle. Went great with a Beatles hair cut!
It's a miracle I survived junior high school ;)

To provide speculative answers to your questions, 1) The commitment situation for 2020 is unclear at this moment. We could have as few as one commitment or as many as three commitments.
2) There is one available scholarship if no one decides to leave and that will most likely go to the recruit already committed (Woody Newton).
3) Would Buddy come off of scholarship? The overwhelming consensus is no! However, when reality of 3 commits is realized, it could be an option (highly unlikely).

4) Rumors(still rumors) that both Kadry Richmond and I. Jackson could commit to Syracuse. Great if they do, it will be the head coach and staff’s jobs to work that out.

5) Speculation abounds that one or more current players could choose alternative locations next year. For example, if any of the three (Hughes, Dolezai, Guerrier) blow up, they may choose NBA or European opportunities. Another option may be Howard Washington if he were to experience another devastating health concern (hopefully this does not occur). Finally, someone may be unhappy with their playing time and decides to transfer.

6) The deal is volatile and could change on a moment’s notice.

Hope this answers your questions.

Guys, I'm just gonna shoot my shot here.

Hughes, he gone.

1 more player will go. I'm not shooting my shot as to who it is yet but I have a strong guess.

In any event, the staff knows if they can take 3 in this class, they will have scholarships.

Guys, I'm just gonna shoot my shot here.

Hughes, he gone.

1 more player will go. I'm not shooting my shot as to who it is yet but I have a strong guess.

In any event, the staff knows if they can take 3 in this class, they will have scholarships.

I’m pretty comfortable he gone-ing Hughes and Quincy

Despite the talk, it would not be a big deal for Buddy to go off scholarship.

Despite the talk, it would not be a big deal for Buddy to go off scholarship.

Agreed 144%.

He's earned his teammates respect, and will have been on scholly for 2 years.
We live in a world where Andre Drummond was a walk-on, and he didn't even have a parent who got this sorta deal; it would be fine for Buddy to do so.

JB can certainly afford to pay his tuition for a year, or 2 if need be, if it makes for a better roster.
Frankly - he'd be crazy NOT to - it's a totally legal loophole that he'll never be able to take advantage of again.
(unless Red's son comes to SU)

And, I'm sure that if we he went that route, that SU would coincidentally give him some sort of raise or bonus or whatever, that more than made up for the expense.

JB can certainly afford to pay his tuition for a year

My understanding is that the children of SU faculty and staff can attend SU tuition-free if their parent has been their X amount of years and they academically qualify. Would JB even have to pay for it?

My understanding is that the children of SU faculty and staff can attend SU tuition-free if their parent has been their X amount of years and they academically qualify. Would JB even have to pay for it?

It's free tuition. Not free room and board.

Gotta assume Buddy lives in the athletic dorms, not at home.
So, the R&B would be the expense I was referring to.

It's free tuition. Not free room and board.

Gotta assume Buddy lives in the athletic dorms, not at home.
So, the R&B would be the expense I was referring to.

95% discount. Plus room, board, fees, books. Also lose the cost of attendance stipend. Comes to $20k+ and the lose of stipend. JB I’m sure can afford it but it’s still not cheap. I don’t think Buddy comes off scholarship.

95% discount. Plus room, board, fees, books. Also lose the cost of attendance stipend. Comes to $20k+ and the lose of stipend. JB I’m sure can afford it but it’s still not cheap. I don’t think Buddy comes off scholarship.
1) yes, JB can afford it unless he’s been horrendously irresponsible with his finances over the past 45 years

2) $20k is actually pretty darn cheap for a year of college at private school of SU’s quality

Love the kid but you’re out of your mind.
He was a better PG than either Frank or Tyus. (I didn't say athlete, or even more effective player, I just said he was the best PG on the team.) Excellent vision, good distributor. Frank and Tyus were SGs who couldn't shoot, trying to play PG. Carey stunk, plain and simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom