Comparison of Revenue of The Top 5 Conferences: ACC way behind?? | Syracusefan.com

Comparison of Revenue of The Top 5 Conferences: ACC way behind??

arbitragegls

All Conference
We continue to hear how much more dollars the Big 12 (Dude WVU and others) and other conferences make VS. the ACC. As demonstrated below (numbers from source and ESPN) the actual difference is relatively small.

Importantly, this difference among all Top Conferences when the following revenue is used is relatively close:
1. TV contract--not counting Conference Nework (B1G, Pac 12 and soon SEC)
2. BCS base dollars--each conference to get $51,750,000/yr
3. Contract Bowls (Rose: B1g/Pac 12; Champions: SEC/Big 12; and Orange: ACC/ND/SEC/B1G
--and these bowls as access bowls when NC semi finals
4 Academic...APR of conference and teams.
5. What these dollars are NOT SHOWING
-- the NCAA BBall units translated to dollars...it is expected this closes the gap among the ACC and all other conferences significantly...these numbers will be available later and are dependent on how the Big East departure of the 7 bball teams is handled (more on this at another time)
--does not include the continuing re-negotiation with ESPN relative with association with Notre Dame plus adding Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville coming on board minus Maryland.

So noting the above and taking what the "in the know" actually believe as realistic the following chart shows each team by conference revenue generated by TV, Base BCS, Access Bowls, and academics.

TV Base Bowl APR Total/ea
ACC $17.1 3.70 1.55 .30 22,650,000
B!G 21.0 3.70 2.56 .30 27,560,000
Big 12 20.0 5.18 3.0 .30 28,480,000
PAC 12 21.0 4.31 2.50 .30 28,110,000
SEC 21.0 3.70 2.56 .30 27,560,000

Importantly, above $$$ are based on # teams in conference. As we know the Big 12 has the fewest members at this time. That being the case if we compare ACC to SEC the difference is $4,910/team...
As a percentage, the ACC team's are earning approximately 18% less than the SEC...based on these numbers this is not so great. On the other hand, the Big 12 continuing to say how much more its teams make is correct...but only because the Big 12 has the fewest teams to share.

Now for good news for the ACC and probably not so good news for the Big 12. The ACC has the potential and is negotiating higher dollars now that Notre Dame is associated plus 'Cuse, Pitt and Louisville minus losing dollars for Maryland...most likely will be about $1,500,000+ per team. Unfortunately for the Big 12, ESPN did not lower their TV contract based on losing two teams...it kept it the same as if the conference had 14 teams...this is why the "word" is by expanding by 2 teams the Big 12 most likely will not receive a significant boost in TV dollars.

Take all this into consideration, and the continued negotiation for increasing the ACC TV contract along with the BBALL units from the NCAA and the ACC Network being championed and worked by Duke University and its athletic and business school--THE ACC future is believed to be strong...stay posted for more as it develops.
Discuss...I know the $$$ above can be challenged to a small degree...but this is what the ACC is running with at this moment.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL! GO 'CUSE!!!!!

Arb, I thought the Syracuse and Pitt money was already included, which is what pushed the ACC to $17mln. If that's the case, we are relying on the net difference on the ND/Louisville add and the Maryland subtraction. Maybe that still gets us to the $18.5mln you were talking about. I don't think it's enough personally. ESPN needs to get serious and bounce the league up another $4mln. That would put the ACC much closer to fair market value. ESPN is still trying to get the league on the cheap. Hope they are smart enough to realize they lose the one property they have some rights over. Go Cuse!

You have to figure an ACC network would get basic cable coverage in NC, SC, Atlanta metro, Virginia, possibly DC, CNY, Indiana, Boston metro, Louisville metro and a good piece of Florida. Connecticut would be a logical pick up in the case of an ACC network since that would bring in the entire state of Connecticut.

Arb, I thought the Syracuse and Pitt money was already included, which is what pushed the ACC to $17mln. If that's the case, we are relying on the net difference on the ND/Louisville add and the Maryland subtraction. Maybe that still gets us to the $18.5mln you were talking about. I don't think it's enough personally. ESPN needs to get serious and bounce the league up another $4mln. That would put the ACC much closer to fair market value. ESPN is still trying to get the league on the cheap. Hope they are smart enough to realize they lose the one property they have some rights over. Go Cuse!

The other way of looking at it is that the ACC + ESPN are betting against the cable bubble. Those locked-in long term contracts will look good when the subscription fees don't materialize.

Good point. Term vs spot buy. Big gamble at this point given the trends. In fact playing with fire without a more binding commitment by the schools involved. I'd like to see how much ESPN offers up for a GOR. ACC needs stability to prosper. People are generally impatient for results. ACC will thrive, just needs time and level playing field ($$$).

The other way of looking at it is that the ACC + ESPN are betting against the cable bubble. Those locked-in long term contracts will look good when the subscription fees don't materialize.

Need something happening before the Maryland exit fee outcome is known.

Exactly. It seems like I read a new story about people cutting the cable cord every week. People are tired of cable co's shoving channels they don't want down their throat. B1G and the YES are on the wrong side of that trend.

Why wouldn't you count all TV monies?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Another source not covered is the non-contract bowls...the ACC is probably 4th on the money list. Negotiating a GOR for adding more ESPN money might be a good tactic.

I'm assuming some Tier 4 monies schools get will be rolled into the ACC Network? coaches shows, archival games, etc...

Last week we were comparable
This week we are WAAY BEHIND
Next week, we'll be ahead of the B12
After that, we may be behind the Big East

...For fooooks sake man, make up your foookin mind already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom