Conference only season? | Syracusefan.com

Conference only season?

This is a decent compromise. If you start say Saturday January 9 you can comfortably get in 20 games by the time you get to early-mid March.

The NBA season will likely start a bit later in 2021-2022. No need to rush the start, the tournament could be pushed back a month.

i've thinking similarly. but with no intersectional comps, have to broaden the field for ncaa tourney. 96 teams? 128? it would only have to be one additional weekend

edit: power 5 plus big east = 76 teams now that uconn is in the big east

there are 26 other division 1 conferences, so take the top 2 finishers from each, 52 teams. that gives us 128. 16 games a day played over 4 days winds that down to 64.

the math is easy, the logistics are a lot harder

Last edited:
The tournament could be held like an AAU tournament inside a bubble.

The problem is having a legitimate regular season to determine the field.

Until we have a reliable vaccine( I won’t trust any vaccine that hasn’t been tested for atleast 1 year so next March) we aren’t going to have full stadiums.

March madness in a bubble could happen since it’s a one and done tournament.

Fits his agenda. Wish he stayed in Europe. At his age if he’s worried about covid he’s a hypocrite if he coaches at all. Take a leave and stay home slick rick. Stop trying to ruin things for everyone else. At least JB has been straight up about his intentions and isn’t trying to play both sides.

Early season CBB probably won’t have to go head to head with NBA. Huge disservice to the kids not play in empty gyms with higher tv ratings than ever.

F Pitino.

All the sports should be one semester. The other one the kids can be students with a job

Would be nice if things like the NFL combine didn’t happen until after spring semester. To me that’s a bigger deal and more unfair that kids have to abandon their studies to go get clocked running a shuttle cone dril in Indy with no guarantees of getting drafted.

Fits his agenda. Wish he stayed in Europe. At his age if he’s worried about covid he’s a hypocrite if he coaches at all. Take a leave and stay home slick rick. Stop trying to ruin things for everyone else. At least JB has been straight up about his intentions and isn’t trying to play both sides.

Early season CBB probably won’t have to go head to head with NBA. Huge disservice to the kids not play in empty gyms with higher tv ratings than ever.

F Pitino.

Right. Because the kids benefit so much from TV ratings.

Right. Because the kids benefit so much from TV ratings.

Playing on TV and the attention in general it comes with or the proverbial spotlight is probably the biggest draw of playing college hoops. Taking the 2 months of the season where there is no NBA away from them would be a huge disservice.

I love non conference matchups personally. NBA will start on Christmas.

You can propose all the theoretical plans you want today.

All of these plans will either come into sharp focus or fall apart in mid-September when we see how the return to campus has gone for the student population and to a degree what is happening with football and other fall sports.

If they don't pull off fall sports, which are almost all outside, I don't know how they are going to pull off winter sports which have to be indoors in closer quarters.....forgetting entirely about the ability of fans to attend games.

I haven't read the article around limiting the OOC and just playing conference, but I bet the discussion has a lot to do with the fear that the non-Big conference schools that most of the OOC centers on may look at playing their seasons in an entirely different light (can it be done safely) than Big Conferences with TV Networks and TV money associated with every game played (how much $ are we losing). Schools are torn today on the issue of return to campus for students ad how to do that safely. I'm not sure I understand any argument at all where say Colgate says, yeah it's a good idea for us to play sports with inter campus travel.

Last edited:
P5 conferences should create bubbles.

Pay the players.
Let them have distance learning.

Play conference seasons.
Then have a national tournament in a bubble.

The only way seasons can happen is if the players are in a bubble.

They're going to increase their solicitation of donations to make up for lost revenue.

I’ve already paid for my season tickets. Not sure how that’s going to work. The donation is included in the purchase.

I’ve already paid for my season tickets. Not sure how that’s going to work. The donation is included in the purchase.

Bi weekly emails to everyone on their subscription list (alumni and people who've purchased tickets alike).

I purpose that if attendance is going to be limited, then only allow students, faculty and SU employees be allowed to attend. These people will be interacting on a daily basis so there shouldn't be a significant increase in spreading the virus to those attending. Use a conference only schedule and extend to all schools. This means only those from the home school can attend and no neutral courts. If possible only on campus facilities should be use. To increase attendance, either no charge or a nominal charge to cover the cost of using the facility.

you will have 3 choices if there are no fans or you don’t make the cut with limited fans.

get a full refund.
Apply the money to next year.
Donate some or all of it.

in all 3 cases, you’ll be able to keep your seats for next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom