Conference Performance Discussion - 2021/2022 Season | Syracusefan.com

Conference Performance Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Conference performance up to the end of December is huge in framing the NCAA tournament.
By the end of December even if we don't know the teams per se from each conference that will be at the top or in the middle, the tournament fate of whomever ends up in middle of the pack in conference may have already largely impacted.

We are still early enough in OOC season so the results and rankings below can certainly change. But certainly enough games have been played to show potential trends.

To put it simply if a conference dominates out of conference, it will generate many top 50 schools in the NET -- which impacts Q1/Q2 wins. And in the end its Q1/Q2 win that frame the tournament. The best example of how out of conference play matters is the BIG. The last 2 years they have done very well OOC, and accordingly a large number of teams in the tournament. 3 years ago (or 4) they sucked in OOC, and a team that went 13-5 in conference, Nebraska, was excluded because they could not get quality wins.

It's a very flawed system in a way, but it is what it is. It's the reason that sometimes dominant conferences in terms of # of seeds and top seeds don't always perform well. Because the metrics determining the field are way too skewed by games in November and December. But its hard to come up with a reasonable alternative.

So who are the best conferences this year? Unfortunately I could not find any NET by conference stats -- not even sure if there is an official NET yet. But when you aggregate a group of results the RPI will correlate fairly strongly to what the NET will spit out. So I have looked at Conference RPI year to date.

(From WarrenNolan)
1637642977841.png

1. Shouldn't be too surprised to see the Big East at #1. Seems to match with what we have seen in the results.
2, A little surprised that the BIG is comfortably in #2. Could be the sample size is low enough for the RPI to do stupid things. I suspect part of it is they have probably played more game against P5+1 schools than the others.
3. The ACC at #7 is not a good sign. Seeing us grouped with the Pac-12 seems like a reasonable comparison as to where it stands right now.
4. The MAC is just an RPI screwup -- they have probably played a really tough schedule as a group ... they will be out shortly.

An interesting conference to watch is the Mountain West. People may remember around 2010, that they were a fairly significant player in terms of getting at large bids, typically being a 3-5 bid conference for a little while. They have since normalized to being a 1 or 2 bid conference for a decent amount of time.

This year the Mountain West teams have beat - Creighton, Oklahoma, Arizona St, Washington, Ole Miss, Cal. Not necessarily the elite of the P5, but a number of wins nonetheless. This should bother an ACC or P12 team, since the Mountain West might be tracking to be a 3-4 team conference again.

Last edited:
This is a reason why going to 20 conference games and dropping two non-conference games per team can hurt the ACC on Selection Sunday.

Fortunately our non-conference is giving us ample opportunities to get some legit OOC wins. We need to start winning some of those games again.

This is a reason why going to 20 conference games and dropping two non-conference games per team can hurt the ACC on Selection Sunday.

It's an interesting thought to bring to the discussion.

But my initial instinct, without a real deep dive, is that I disagree.

Here is the reason:
- Those 2 extra conference games replace OOC Games, and typically the quality of those 2 conference games are higher-- even if the ACC is in a down year the above will still generally hold -- these 2 games (even in a down year) improve the SOS and provide a chance for more Q1/Q2 victories.
- Of course its possible the 2 games you are replacing are strong OOC matches, but that will typically not be the case.

The ACC was not the first conference to go to 20 games (the BIG was), and I suspect they will not be the last. There is an advantage to it for getting into the tournament. The 20 game schedule did help the BIG a bit.

It does put pressure on the ACC to not have a bit of a slump early in the OOC because you have less games to normalize that OOC record. But I am not sure if the extra OOC Games this year would normalize anything for the ACC -- it would just result in them getting in a bigger hole vs the other P5 conferences.

Last edited:
Have to think Purdue beating Nova really helped offset the rest of the Big 10 sucking on the gas pipe against the NBE.

I also am pretty sure Michigan was terribly overrated. They have zero shooting.

Have to think Purdue beating Nova really helped offset the rest of the Big 10 sucking on the gas pipe against the NBE.

I also am pretty sure Michigan was terribly overrated. They have zero shooting.
My Christmas wish is that Nova finishes in the bottom half of Big East and negates Purdue's win over Nova.

My Christmas wish is that Nova finishes in the bottom half of Big East and negates Purdue's win over Nova.
You may want to wish for a backup present because I don't think you're going to get this one..

A few days later, and the ACC drops a spot to #8.
Not only might the ACC be the worse conference amongst the P5+BE, the MWC continues to play well, so while finishing #7 is not likely, its not unconceivable either. (WCC will correct iteself)

Thought I would post something different to reduce the negativity -- but this is still pretty negative!

1637816096235.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom