Confirmed- Dino returning next season | Syracusefan.com

Confirmed- Dino returning next season

I have been critical of DB and said I wouldn’t renew, but after further reflection I’ll also be back haha. I don’t think he is a great coach, but if he can instill some discipline into the team, improve recruiting to include top 50 classes/or crush transfer marker and be better at game management, then I’ll live with a 7-5 season and a bowl game. I mean what is the alternative?

Shocked National Lampoons Christmas Vacation GIF by HBO Max

He passed all expectations for the season. The 5-game skid hurt, but the totality of the season was much better than projections. He's going to remain on a very short leash though I'm sure. Interested in how the AD addresses S&C, nutrition, and medical because something has to change there for any coaching staff to be competitive in the ACC.

As tough as the 5 game skid was, when looking back at it all five were very solid teams, bad matchups for us, and our QB1 was hurt. None of them were bad losses in the conventional sense except arguably Pitt and that was our backups first ever start.

As tough as the 5 game skid was, when looking back at it all five were very solid teams, bad matchups for us, and our QB1 was hurt. None of them were bad losses in the conventional sense except arguably Pitt and that was our backups first ever start.
Exactly, and if the game schedule was switched in order and we went with a win here, loss here, two wins here, two losses here and ended up at 7-5, the analysis of the success of the season would be quite different than it is with winning six then losing six. We finished well above what I expected we would and we are going to a bowl. Dino deserves at least one more year for that.

All Wildhack did was postpone the inevitable. Seven years is a pretty good sample size. In college football it’s an eternity. In his seven years two winning seasons and at the end of his seventh year the most penalized team in the nation. Continued clock management problems, no discipline, mediocre recruiting.Those factors do not make this fan feel warm and fuzzy regarding the future success of the program. I realize that many of you are happy he has been given another year and I respect your optimism. I hope to God you are right and I am wrong. But after watching the same thing for five and a half out of seven years, I just don’t see it turning out successfully for Syracuse University Football.

All Wildhack did was postpone the inevitable. Seven years is a pretty good sample size. In college football it’s an eternity. In his seven years two winning seasons and at the end of his seventh year the most penalized team in the nation. Continued clock management problems, no discipline, mediocre recruiting.Those factors do not make this fan feel warm and fuzzy regarding the future success of the program. I realize that many of you are happy he has been given another year and I respect your optimism. I hope to God you are right and I am wrong. But after watching the same thing for five and a half out of seven years, I just don’t see it turning out successfully for Syracuse University Football.
Did you expect him to get fired after this year?

While every word you said was true, in life, we look if we are smart, at where we are right now. And right now, we had a winning season and a bowl game. That is who we are right now. He has a lot to clean up. And sadly, he doesn't believe he does. Frustrating. But we are a bowl team right now. We had a winning season with a young team and a rough schedule. He drives me crazy with his game management and clock management. But 7-5 is okay and if he does that again next year, I think he will get an extension.

While every word you said was true, in life, we look if we are smart, at where we are right now. And right now, we had a winning season and a bowl game. That is who we are right now. He has a lot to clean up. And sadly, he doesn't believe he does. Frustrating. But we are a bowl team right now. We had a winning season with a young team and a rough schedule. He drives me crazy with his game management and clock management. But 7-5 is okay and if he does that again next year, I think he will get an extension.
I agree with what you are saying and realize he met Wildhacks expectation of a bowl game. But my God he is seven years in and still the same problems year after year. It’s like a Ground Hog Day Football Program that is approaching a crossroad on the college football landscape. I’m pretty realistic regarding what the ceiling of that program is. All I ask for is competitive winning football where bowl games are more common than not.

No because it’s Syracuse. He would have been fired long ago at most P5 schools
That sounds great, but when exactly?
After 2017 season, 4-8, but players returning and only his 3rd year.
After 2018 season, 10-3. No.
After 2019 season, disappointing 5-7, but only one year removed from 10-2 and Devito coming back.
After 2020? Dreadful 1-10 record, but Covid, protests and Devito injured gave Dino a pass.
After 2021? 5-7, possibly here, but Wildhack made the decision instead to up the salary pool for assistants to give Dino better support.

That sounds great, but when exactly?
After 2017 season, 4-8, but players returning and only his 3rd year.
After 2018 season, 10-3. No.
After 2019 season, disappointing 5-7, but only one year removed from 10-2 and Devito coming back.
After 2020? Dreadful 1-10 record, but Covid, protests and Devito injured gave Dino a pass.
After 2021? 5-7, possibly here, but Wildhack made the decision instead to up the salary pool for assistants to give Dino better support.

So many players opted out of 2020 too. I find it really hard to count that year.

Thus if you look at the last 4 years: 10-3, 5-7, 5-7, 7-5.

I mean...that's acceptable, right?

He is a losing head coach, you can’t fire him now and any year he makes a bowl game basically he has to be safe, but in 2024 when we have a 12 team playoff and bowls look even more average who knows how short coaches ropes are especially in power 5 with increase revenue.

So many players opted out of 2020 too. I find it really hard to count that year.

Thus if you look at the last 4 years: 10-3, 5-7, 5-7, 7-5.

I mean...that's acceptable, right?
Apollo 11 Space GIF by US National Archives

Just by luck we should get to Nov one yr without being all beat up.

Really just had the 1 bad game effort a penalty or so from 7-0 and 8-4. Had chances in the 4th to win/tie all the rest of the games..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom