Cool SU trivia question | Syracusefan.com

Cool SU trivia question

cto

Administrator
Cool trivia question. Syracuse football and basketball teams both have home openers against defending national champions this year (Clemson and Virginia). Is it a first?

www.syracuse.com

Is Syracuse first school to open at home against defending champs in football and basketball?
Syracuse's home openers in both football and men's basketball are against the defending national champions. Is that a first? Or has it happened before?
www.syracuse.com
www.syracuse.com

I would have thought so, but it appears we are the 2nd team ever to do it.

Purdue's claim is mired in scandal, ND was not the undisputed NC, they shared the title:

In 1966, Notre Dame shared the national title in football with Michigan State. The following season Notre Dame opened on the road at Purdue.

O.K., I got nothing, just grasping at the first straw. Still, a rare occurrence, and Purdue failed the sweep, so that option is still open.

Purdue's claim is mired in scandal, ND was not the undisputed NC, they shared the title:

In 1966, Notre Dame shared the national title in football with Michigan State. The following season Notre Dame opened on the road at Purdue.

O.K., I got nothing, just grasping at the first straw. Still, a rare occurrence, and Purdue failed the sweep, so that option is still open.

Well, before there was a college football playoff, wasn't it always the "mythical" national champion. So, ND was a mythical champion, and not even a universally recognized champion.

Since the author went back to when the basketball tournament began, shouldn't the same standard apply to football? So yes, SU is the first team to have home openers against both the actual football and basketball college champions.

The ACC is awesome! Football and Basketball are great! The ACCN is coming. I'm excited for the future!!