Cooney's "average" game from three point range | Syracusefan.com

Cooney's "average" game from three point range

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Tonight I called upon the protection of my ancestors and channeled the power of the majestic American Kestrel, and in a nod to SWC, did some statistical research, albeit mine is pretty lame.

The question - what is Cooney's "average" field goal percentage shooting threes?

Now, I'm not talking about his total three point field goal percentage. That tells you how many he's made so far out of the ones he has taken. I wanted to know, what shooting percentage from three point range has Cooney made in any given game ?

In order to determine the answer I grabbed Cooney's three point shooting percentage for each game, threw them in a spread sheet, determined the median, and then determined the average.

For all games, Cooney's median three point percentage per game is .375, which isn't far off from his average of .383. It drops significantly when you only consider ACC contests however - a median of .275, with an average of game performance of .326. That compares favorably to the .309 hit rate on all three point attempts in ACC play, but is a far cry from what he was hitting OOC. The .275 median is, frankly, terrifying for a team that really only has one deep threat.

This doesn't tell us why he's not making many shots (tired legs? better competition? defenses keying on him? difficult looks?), but it does show that he's shooting appreciably worse in conference. The downside is that was likely a large part of why we've lost some games as the best he's shot in our four losses was .300. The good news is, nobody has been able to beat us if he's hitting. Now's a good time to get White Hot.

I've attached my spreadsheet if anyone wants to check my work, and the reason why I selected Cooney for this exercise is because he makes a hugely inordinate number of three pointers for us as compared to his teammates, and that has been documented by members of the national media lest any accusations of hateration come my way.

Attachments

• Trevor Cooney.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 57
Regarding why he is shooting poorly, I would chalk it up to the following:

1) tired legs - running all over creation to try to get an open look, all game, every game is going to wear anyone down, especially a guy who has barely played in two years

2) defenses keying on him - this is partly his fault, as he has allowed himself to become one dimensional, and at this point teams don't really even guard him inside the arc

3) shaky potatoes - they are just the shakiest, man. Can't overcome potatoes that shaky sometimes.

Tonight I called upon the protection of my ancestors and channeled the power of the majestic American Kestrel, and in a nod to SWC, did some statistical research, albeit mine is pretty lame.

The question - what is Cooney's "average" field goal percentage shooting threes?

Now, I'm not talking about his total three point field goal percentage. That tells you how many he's made so far out of the ones he has taken. I wanted to know, what shooting percentage from three point range has Cooney made in any given game ?

In order to determine the answer I grabbed Cooney's three point shooting percentage for each game, threw them in a spread sheet, determined the median, and then determined the average.

For all games, Cooney's median three point percentage per game is .375, which isn't far off from his average of .383. It drops significantly when you only consider ACC contests however - a median of .275, with an average of game performance of .326. That compares favorably to the .309 hit rate on all three point attempts in ACC play, but is a far cry from what he was hitting OOC. The .275 median is, frankly, terrifying for a team that really only has one deep threat.

This doesn't tell us why he's not making many shots (tired legs? better competition? defenses keying on him? difficult looks?), but it does show that he's shooting appreciably worse in conference. The downside is that was likely a large part of why we've lost some games as the best he's shot in our four losses was .300. The good news is, nobody has been able to beat us if he's hitting. Now's a good time to get White Hot.

I've attached my spreadsheet if anyone wants to check my work, and the reason why I selected Cooney for this exercise is because he makes a hugely inordinate number of three pointers for us as compared to his teammates, and that has been documented by members of the national media lest any accusations of hateration come my way.
I think the most important thing is that Cooney averages almost 2.75 3 points shots made a game. If he actually would make 2 to 3, 3pt shots a game it would be sufficient. Making 9 in one game then almost none the next 5 is not a big help.

Just goes to show how important he is to our offense. In our 4 losses, he has shot:

BC: 16.7%
Duke: 0%
Virginia: 30%
Ga Tech: 12.5%

As in most things in life, consistency is very important. 9-- 3 pointers in one game is great but it's one game. Even streak shooters, exhibit some consistency over the long haul. Seems to be Coon cat's biggest issue. I don't think trevor has the range that say J South or Andy had.

And I agree if we are to make a run to the final four he needs to shoot much much better.

1) tired legs - running all over creation to try to get an open look, all game, every game is going to wear anyone down, especially a guy who has barely played in two years

2) defenses keying on him - this is partly his fault, as he has allowed himself to become one dimensional, and at this point teams don't really even guard him inside the arc

3) shaky potatoes - they are just the shakiest, man. Can't overcome potatoes that shaky sometimes.

He definitely scrambles around the arc a lot. He looks like he plays all-out. Fatigue (especially end of the season fatigue against tough ACC competition) seems to be having its effect.

When he comes around off the screen and is passed the ball I would like to see him instead of taking the three drive two steps to the basket and pull up for a 15 to 18 foot jumper. My thinking is by hitting a few shorter shots he would find his range. He has two plays right now. A three point shot and his drive to the left side of the basket for a layup. He needs one more play.

I think the formula is so simple for us to go to Dallas. 2 for 5 OR 3 for 7. Trevor take your pick, and we're golden.

fwiw gbinije's median game in conference is 29%. average game (as opposed to overall conference average) 30%

can live with one or the other being ice cold but not both

I think the formula is so simple for us to go to Dallas. 2 for 5 OR 3 for 7. Trevor take your pick, and we're golden.

I'm not sure he's capable of being that efficient. He needs to do something positive before he starts dropping 3s. I think he needs a couple of shorter range baskets first to get started.

last 4 games, he has 10,10,8,and 8 3pt attempts

it's too many

last 4 games, he has 10,10,8,and 8 3pt attempts

it's too many

I agree. I don't understand why they don't have another play where he can start out with some shorter range jump shots.

I agree with that, I think.
I do, considering that SU plays a low possession game and those misses tend to be long rebounds while our other players are typically camped out under the basket (Fair, Grant, and Xmas). The long rebounds lead to transition breakouts (not necessarily fast breaks though), which prevents the defense from setting up in the zone. There's nothing better than seeing Cooney bury a few threes and barely tickle twine, but there's nothing worse (IMO) than seeing SU spend 30 seconds on D, bring the ball up, kill 25 seconds, and have Cooney brick a 3, which leads to a wide open look at the other basket. It's easy enough to recover from 2 or 3 of those a game, but 5-6 gets a whole lot more difficult - especially if Fair is scuffling getting open looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom