Copeland... | Syracusefan.com

Copeland...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I was all set to watch the Ville game when the game got pre-empted (at least in my area), so I missed what this forum seems to unanimously be saying was a stuff (Word has been edited for me) $how.

Judging by forum comments and the box score, it appears that all of our forwards stank and with Symir hurt both guards played all 40 minutes.

So my question is, why didnt Copeland get some run ????

I was all set to watch the Ville game when the game got pre-empted (at least in my area), so I missed what this forum seems to unanimously be saying was a stuff (Word has been edited for me) $how.

Judging by forum comments and the box score, it appears that all of our forwards stank and with Symir hurt both guards played all 40 minutes.

He turns the ball over at a faster rate than others.

It’s pretty clear he only plays Copeland at the forward spot. I’m sure QC woulda got run if there was an issue with Mintz/JG3 but as of now it doesn’t seem JB trusts him to be a ball handler
Because his skill set is much closer to a 3 than it is to a 1 or 2.

One thing for certain, Q makes stuff happen when he is on the court. Some good, some not so good. But his energy and effort is always there. He also seems to be a positive force on the bench celebrating the play of others. Reminds me of JBA in that respect. Hard not to root for the kid.

Watch the replay of the last turnover by Mintz. You can see Copeland just gasping as they are heading down with the ball to win.
Because his skill set is much closer to a 3 than it is to a 1 or 2.

One thing for certain, Q makes stuff happen when he is on the court. Some good, some not so good. But his energy and effort is always there. He also seems to be a positive force on the bench celebrating the play of others. Reminds me of JBA in that respect. Hard not to root for the kid.

Reactions: 007
According to JB he has been the best player in practice for 5 days, but he is not ready
So are u telling me JB plays the players who practice the worst because that somehow makes them ready ???

He’s giving JB grey hairs

I like Copeland but tough spot for him - we trailed a lot in the game and he really hasn't shown that he won't turn it over or do something crazy. I would have given him a peek but get why JB didn't.

Almost SU's entire offense that game was Joe and Judah. Copeland doesn't offer a lot in the scoring department. Maybe that factored into it. Who knows?

It makes no sense to me. He should have played a few minutes to give both starting guards a breather.

It was a sloppy game to begin with. Risk was low.

JB sees it differently, but we know how JB do.

Over the years JB has valued consistency and has little tolerance for mistakes (ie: the quick hook syndrome). Granted, he will let his "core" players have much more latitude for bad plays, but they generally have a lot more positives to offer to offset their negatives.

Love Copeland and his energy, but he is a walking turnover and does not have the skill set to offset his issues (at least at this point). He might eventually, but right now it's a matter of trust. The same can be said of all the forwards at this point but some are more reliable than others right now.

Jim has valid points on the forwards. They don't rebound and it results in second, third, fourth, fifth chances for the opponent. Jesse blocks a shot and the rest of the team watches the opponent recover it. They just stand and watch. Jesse is a monster on the boards and Joe grabbed 7 v. L'ville. Maddening that the other players are unable to rebound.

Jim has valid points on the forwards. They don't rebound and it results in second, third, fourth, fifth chances for the opponent. Jesse blocks a shot and the rest of the team watches the opponent recover it. They just stand and watch. Jesse is a monster on the boards and Joe grabbed 7 v. L'ville. Maddening that the other players are unable to rebound.
Yes, his points are valid about the forwards and rebounding and it also appplies to their scoring. So, how would you address this with the players?

My approach (and there are pros and cons to the approach) basically would be to bench the player or players that continue to fail to participate in rebounding and give others like Brown,Taylor, Copeland and even Ajak a chance to start and play. I would take away their starting positions first but still allow them opportunities to play in a game.

Make it clear to the player(s) that Basketball is a game where you need to use multiple skills besides scoring (defense, rebounding, stamina, running, positioning, etc). Scoring is important but you need to bring your complete game to play.

Now if JAB a would do this, I would hope he allow the inserted players the time to show their skills in the game. Hope it would not be lip service like “Syracuse will play man-to-man at times this year” and then abandon it almost immediately.

In a game we won by one point our starting guards combined for 44 points, ten boards, four steals and eight assists.

QC wasn't going to make that statline better.

If the genius in charge will not adjust to his beloved Zone getting shredded by switching to some man for a change of pace, please tell me why he won’t at least give some run to our biggest and possibly most athletic guard who just might impact the d a little bit.

He fits really well as a guard and wing would be nice to give him extended run and let him play through some mistakes. Clicks with Mintz and Girard.

If he got the Benny Williams treatment we might have a couple more wins.

watching last night it is apparent that taylor is useless when caught underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom