Cornell and Matt Kerwick part ways | Syracusefan.com

Cornell and Matt Kerwick part ways

Sounds like he resigned, might want to update the thread title. ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like he re-signed, might want to update the thread title. ;)

Did they part ways, or did he re-sign with the school?

So odd. I get that kerwick is moving on, but you give the assistant the job as an interim HC. It's not like he left in september, plenty of time to hire a new coach. Unless they are going to hire Milliman, if that's the case just give him the job without the interim tag. I really like Pete and think he is a great coach and recruiter, it's odd the way the AD is handling this situation. My only take away is that Andy Noel has no idea what he is doing. Pretty big fall from being a minute away from a championship to two interim head coaches in four year.

Last edited:
So odd. I get that kerwick is moving on, but you give the assistant the job as an interim HC. It's not like he left in september, plenty of time to hire a new coach. Unless they are going to hire Milliman, if that's the case just give him the job without the interim tag. I really like Pete and think he is a great coach and recruiter, it's odd the way the AD is handling this situation. My only take away is that Andy Noel has no idea what he is doing. Pretty big fall from being a minute away from a championship to two interim head coaches in four year.
Gives him a year to prove himself or put the job on the market and compete with Michigan, Delaware, possibly Harvard and maybe 1-2 more places.

Gives him a year to prove himself or put the job on the market and compete with Michigan, Delaware, possibly Harvard and maybe 1-2 more places.
Compete with Delaware for coaches? It's Cornell... national champions, hall of fame coach, petro, tambroni, recent top end success, in state tuition for ivy education. Other schools MAY pay more money, but don't have the same clout. As mentioned by that clown ty Xander and above, recruits have no clue who they will be playing for in the next two classes. That isn't a great door opener or closing statement to players and families.

they really like the incoming class too. but there has been a ton of turmoil and many have been wanting him out for awhile now..

Regardless of on field performance, always felt that the program has been in disarray since Coach Tambroni left, and that was far from yesterday when he left

Regardless of on field performance, always felt that the program has been in disarray since Coach Tambroni left, and that was far from yesterday when he left
I wasn't hoping you would chime in on this thread. It seems as if they are spiraling further into the depths of disarray. What is the deal with Noel? How has he handled other sports within the department?

I wasn't hoping you would chime in on this thread. It seems as if they are spiraling further into the depths of disarray. What is the deal with Noel? How has he handled other sports within the department?

To be honest, not really sure, was a big supporter of Cornell Lacrosse when Jeff was there as I have known him a long time and he and his family lived down road from us and we moved to town around the same time.They have 3 daughters as do we. When Deluca took over, I still went to a lot of games, his wife coached all my daughters in lacrosse, very nice people. After he left, I pretty much checked out.

Follow and root for Penn St lacrosse more than anyone at this point.

Last edited:
If Kerwick was fired for performance I think that it sets a bad precedent. If memory serves, Kerwick had one year as an interim which likely hurt recruiting and another as the full time. You would think that hazing violations under Deluca would have impacted potential recruiting and created a negative haze for a couple of years on the team. I am not close to it but on the surface it looks like the team is young and the older players would have been recruited during that mess. Kerwick has Teat who is a future star and you could argue that they are moving in the right direction and he would at least get one more season to show progress. Instead they are doing the same thing and going the interim route. I am disappointed about this news.

Come tournament time, I always root for the upstate teams...even Albany :) if SU is eliminated early. I know that the game is growing and things change. Cornell is one of the staple old school northeast programs. Would like to see them return to prominence. When I was a senior at SU in 2000, I just knew if that team was going to lose one game it was going to be during a dark stormy night in Ithaca at Schoellkopf field.

I didn't read the press release the same way - I think it's standard language to say the assistant is bumped to interim HC while a nationwide search is done.

Milliman is a return to the Tambroni/Deluca era - CU would be wise to give him the gig.

Is this the same guy? The guy in the press release looks much older...
upload_2017-5-11_10-50-24.png

upload_2017-5-11_10-50-36.png

You must have missed this paragraph...

Also effective today, Peter Milliman, who has spent the last four seasons on the sidelines, most recently as the Mario St. George Boiardi '04 Associate Head Coach of Men's Lacrosse, will take over as the interim head coach through the 2018 season. A nationwide search will commence at that time to name a full-time replacement.

I am not sure if PM is or isn't the answer for the long term at Cornell, but I definitely would have done a national search, with him included, right now not in 2018. Also, if they wanted a return to the Petro/Tambroni era, I would have looked at Kyle Georgalas at Army. Played for them and coached with Tambroni.

You must have missed this paragraph...

Also effective today, Peter Milliman, who has spent the last four seasons on the sidelines, most recently as the Mario St. George Boiardi '04 Associate Head Coach of Men's Lacrosse, will take over as the interim head coach through the 2018 season. A nationwide search will commence at that time to name a full-time replacement.

I am not sure if PM is or isn't the answer for the long term at Cornell, but I definitely would have done a national search, with him included, right now not in 2018. Also, if they wanted a return to the Petro/Tambroni era, I would have looked at Kyle Georgalas at Army. Played for them and coached with Tambroni.

You're right, I completely missed the important part you pasted above.

I'm a moron. And so is the Cornell AD for treating the 2018 season as a tryout year for a solid assistant.

Duh-umb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom