Cornell Game Thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Game Thread...

I will not pretend to be a Lacrosse expert. I've been all for defending Desko all season long, but man last night the 2nd half we just didn't look like a top tier Lacrosse team, and yes we've looked worse a bunch of times this season. This is on Desko for sure, I still don't understand why he was in love with the second line tonight. I think he should get two more years to get some good run with this class, hopefully he can surprise with some gems.
Also those refs last night...

i didnt get the refs hate.. watching in TV maybe there were some complaints to be made, but watching it live really hard to tell good or bad calls, and several on the dome replay it was pretty obvious the calls were correct.

How far does Cornell go in the tournament? Not sure it would make me feel any better if they go to championship weekend but if they lay an egg against Maryland...yikes

How far does Cornell go in the tournament? Not sure it would make me feel any better if they go to championship weekend but if they lay an egg against Maryland...yikes

Face offs will be their Achilles Heel - they have one more game.

Two post game quotes from Petterson and Milliman spoke volumes about our offense and defense.

“All my shots were within five yards. So I think that's just a credit to how hard my teammates were working to make the defense rotate and then I was just there. I was the open guy.'' — Petterson

“They were running by us and getting good shots on cage early on,'' said Milliman whose team forced 15 turnovers. "And so we needed to maybe make a better decision whether we were going to go to certain (players) and not go to other ones. And when guys were in a good enough position where we trusted our goalie, and when we needed to get out to hands.”

Cornell knew which players (middies mostly) had the ability to dodge and shaded help or slid early to prevent them from shooting. They communicated on D and rarely left anyone in a scoring position open.

SU played too many offensive players who weren’t a threat to win a 1 v 1 battle and off ball players, except Bomberry, rarely moved into scoring positions for a feed. This allowed Cornell’s D to play straight up with minimal risk.

Our defense didn’t seem to understand how to play a box and 1 or who needed to slough off to slide because Mellen was shutting off Teat.

Half of their goals scored by one Canuck within 5 yards of the crease is abysmal team defense.

Last edited:
I'm hardly a lacrosse expert but interesting that you mention about our extra man offense as I've noticed that also. It seems like our opponents are much more aggressive in that situation and I'm not sure we're even going to get a decent shot off a lot of times.

Tbe man up issues is that its very inconsistent. Some games were moving the ball crisply and guys rotating in and out and we have a lot of success. The first man up possession SU did this for the most part and Bomberry missed a great look. After that you saw the other side of the SU man up where we leisurely pass it around waiting for the sea to part so we can get a good look. The ball has to spin on the man up quickly and then you can reverse the way you were passing it to force guys to slide which opens up looks in the middle on the crease (Dylan Donahue was a master at this) the ball died to often last in someones stick or we moved it to slowly. Lane also had 3-4 wide open rips where he should have loaded up and unleashed the cannon. SO disappointing.

There in huge trouble next week, SU has struggled at the X all year and Varello was dominant tonight, a horrible omen for Cornell. Also as much as it hurts to say this Maryland's coaching staff is simply in another level compared to Dekso and Co, they won't make the same mistakes.

I will not pretend to be a Lacrosse expert. I've been all for defending Desko all season long, but man last night the 2nd half we just didn't look like a top tier Lacrosse team, and yes we've looked worse a bunch of times this season. This is on Desko for sure, I still don't understand why he was in love with the second line tonight. I think he should get two more years to get some good run with this class, hopefully he can surprise with some gems.
Also those refs last night...

I tried to hammer it home last night but besides the turnovers the most frustrating aspect was that Desko essentially played the second line every other possession last night, that was a huge factor in why we lost. Cornell just poled Lipka and Carlin took a few terrible shots that had no chance to go in. Simmons was again a non factor besides his embarrasement of a shot late in the 4th. The fact that we had 20 plus middies on the roser and thats the best second line we can muster is an embarrasement. We have an UA on the 4th line where the hell was he? Desko has to stop giving his upperclassmen the benefit of the doubt (he does this every freeking Year) as much as it sucks to say this McKinney and Simmons and Lane are not Div 1 midfielders at this point and Carlin is a guy who should rotate in on the second line or be the third guy. Buttermore and Quinn and O'Sullivan should have seen the field more, period.

We should have run that first middie line into the ground! They are good and is great for the future!

Mellen did a great job on teat. We shouldn’t have been beaten by the rest of their team on paper our def is far better than their O, right tactic just wrong execution!

Leadership was an issue with this squad!

We don’t deal with the two man game very well and send two to the ball too often!

I don’t see the attack as a dynamic unit compared to past Attacks at Syracuse!

We Faced off well!

SSDM try and do too much, we need to improve at this position!

Goalie a question mark for next year!

Transfers and incoming players will play a key part next year!

This team would have struggled against UMD!

Desko must stay for us to win the national championship again!

Drake Porter has the inside track.

I have liked what I have seen from him in limited minutes the last couple of years, Don't forget about the incoming frosh either from John Jay.

We should have run that first middie line into the ground! They are good and is great for the future!

Mellen did a great job on teat. We shouldn’t have been beaten by the rest of their team on paper our def is far better than their O, right tactic just wrong execution!

We don’t deal with the two man game very well and send two to the ball too often!

We Faced off well!

Woody, you had me right up until that last sentence. I know you think JD should be entrenched as long as he sees fit, but to say he must be the coach in order to win a ring is a little over the top. I am sure more than a few coaches could win a title with SUs profile. More or less, this team wasn’t that good and that saddens me. This once proud program has dropped a notch. Sure they win some games in April, but May is what defines a program. Mid-May has been pretty tough as of late and we haven’t made it the end of May that often in the last decade.

We Faced off well!

Mellen shut him down. He looked great.

Cornell lost their #1 guy on FO.. not sure why they went away from the #2 guy who was 10-12 vs yale. They went straight to the long stick and tried to win ground balls.

From the Cornell notes the key to the game was the SU goalie making some really good saves on solid shots and Cornell hitting the pipe 5-6 times while the Cornell goalie really struggled seeing the ball against the stands in the first half. Most of the Syracuse goals were one he normally makes stops on.

Cornell has struggled at the X all year. Losing every one in the 2nd half vs Colgate cost them that game and almost overcame the Albany game losing every one the whole game.. If they can get it to 40% the offense has a shot to score, but everyone has decided to just shut Teat off and life will be hard.. Yale played it straight and he hurt them.

And everyone was in a hurry to fire Pasqualoni just to hire GRob.

Now we beg for 6-6 seasons.

I fear we will screw this up. :oops:
It got screwed up because Doc Hollywood was the AD and had no clue. I trust Wildhack to get it right more than Doc Hollywood.

It got screwed up because Doc Hollywood was the AD and had no clue. I trust Wildhack to get it right more than Doc Hollywood.
Good or bad, there are also less head coaching options in lacrosse.

Rules commitee needs to address last second penalties. Game shouldnt end with a defender tackling and sitting on offensive player trying to tie score to let the clock run out. To not address will just lead to lowball tactics that just hurt game. My quick reaction is that any penalty occuring in last fifteen seconds should reset the clock to the associated time to any penalty.. In other words, Cuse should have gotten ball with thirty seconds put on clock.

Rules commitee needs to address last second penalties. Game shouldnt end with a defender tackling and sitting on offensive player trying to tie score to let the clock run out. To not address will just lead to lowball tactics that just hurt game. My quick reaction is that any penalty occuring in last fifteen seconds should reset the clock to the associated time to any penalty.. In other words, Cuse should have gotten ball with thirty seconds put on clock.

Sorry but this just sounds like sour grapes to me. The offense should move the ball in that situation.

And the tiny attackman who was manhandled all game shouldn’t have been the one to drive on the last attempt.

We would’ve had closer to 4 seconds left if Solomon didn’t just lay there and tossed the ball OOBs. Whistle stops, penalty called.

Ric Beardesley being brutally honest on ESPN Syracuse Orange Nation show. Listen to podcast later if you can. Biggest takeaway: Syracuse as of three years ago has lost its recruiting advantage, no longer allure to play lax at Cuse. We are on same plane as Albany, Cornell. Coaching staff needs to change what they are doing because it is not working and will never work again like it used to. Calling for shakeup in way they do things. Does not call for firing Desko though.

Ric Beardesley being brutally honest on ESPN Syracuse Orange Nation show. Listen to podcast later if you can. Biggest takeaway: Syracuse as of three years ago has lost its recruiting advantage, no longer allure to play lax at Cuse. We are on same plane as Albany, Cornell. Coaching staff needs to change what they are doing because it is not working and will never work again like it used to. Calling for shakeup in way they do things. Does not call for firing Desko though.

Maybe Beardsley should leave his cushy CBA job and become our new Defense / Recruiting Coordinator?

respectfully, what coaches has Wildhack hired? Guess it is more "belief without evidence". :)

i didnt get the refs hate.. watching in TV maybe there were some complaints to be made, but watching it live really hard to tell good or bad calls, and several on the dome replay it was pretty obvious the calls were correct.
From my perspective it was more of the no-calls against our players. Cornell was essentially able to beat the #&$_+@ out of the Orange with no repercussions.

The other thing that perturbed me was 2 or 3 fast breaks we're called and give to Cornell. They were clean Orange takeaways but the refs stopped the fast break and gave Cornell the ball wherever the breakaway player was. With no explanation, even the announcers went silent, though they didn't complaining as they were heavily favoring Cornell.

It was not a case where the ball was put back in play where the turnover occurred, then I would have an idea what happened.

Anyway, the officiating seemed to have a quick whistle when Cornell needed a hand.

Just my observations.

felt the game got away from us the first 6 minutes of the 3rd qtr. didn't see the ball in our end. seemed to go downhill from there.

[esko has to stop giving his upperclassmen the benefit of the doubt (he does this every freeking Year) as much as it sucks to say this McKinney and Simmons and Lane are not Div 1 midfielders at this point and Carlin is a guy who should rotate in on the second line or be the third guy. Buttermore and Quinn and O'Sullivan should have seen the field more, period.[/QUOTE]

i don't think #44 lane took one shot. that's his sole duty . outside cannon. gotta show that WEAPON at least once even if you miss to make the D respect it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom