Cornell | Syracusefan.com

Cornell

ivorytower

Starter
Little more than 24 hrs to opening faceoff and no Cornell writeup from Powell or Jeremy tells me that fatigue is setting in so Ill attempt to jumpstart a thread so they and others can add some substance.

Cornell (9-1) comes in off a impressive performance and arguably a top five team , a Cuse victory is not expected but would certainly be soothing to many. Cornell of course has to be coming in off a sharp performance .

Strength is attack but they are well balanced. Said in preseason that sophomore Kirst would be the best of all the Kirsts and he is already Cornell's best player (32-17-49). He reminds me of a bigger, stronger and faster Hiltz . Some thought Piatelli production would fall off without Teat but it hasn't partly due to passing skills of Kirst , Long and others but also because he's a darn good scorer (34-9-42) on his own right . 3rd attackman Long ( 14-17-31) is is another Delbarton product. He can initiate behind the cage so requires a pole . Coyle (13-9-22) has alternated with Long at times and is another weapon Their mids complement an attack -centric offense but have a five in Coyle, Blake, Kelleher , Liccardi and Wirthheim that can initiate offense from up . Just like Cornell teams under Millman , all can distribute and score some. Faceoffs use to be what held Cornell back in recent t years but Petrakis has corrected that . Cuse should still have a slight advantage in face-offs and wing play but wins will have to have to be earned. BigRed rope unit is solid and their defense has held opponents to ten goals a game holding opponents to 52% sog which is low. Goalie Ierlan has bounced and has a save percentage of 54%.

Back to Cuse, certainly a disappointing Albany game . Rain and being sheet on after ND game might have factored some but simply have to execute alot better agaisnt a talented and disciplined team. Needless to say (- so why say it, never understood that saying ) 5 offsides cant be repeated .Watching some leave field distraught after giving their all was disturbing. One huge positive out of last two games is having Buttermore back as he is is a legit scoring threat that can alleviate some pressure off Dordevic and Curry. Not sure of Quinn status but same applies.

Go Orange, finish strong

Cornell has had multiple awfil FO games.. pretty streaky even in the games they do well in. They are not very deep and several games like the Yale/Hobart?harvard games had big leads and when they tried to go to the bench things fell apart.

True UD ,Petrakis a bit inconsistent but at 50% and his success agaisnt Inacio was one of the reasons that they beat OSU . Dont see o depth as an issue ,they had a few mids out vs Harvard but their second line stepped in seamlessly . Underrated Long is a very good dodger at X who draws slides but Cornell also like to initiate from up top to rotate defenses . No household names there ie Donville but all appear quick enuff to draw .No idea of their depth on D . btw, Dearth's younger brother Ray is starting dm for Harvard and looked good

Thanks for the writeup IT, good stuff as always. I wish I felt more optimistic about this game (and the season and general) but I don't see much hope for the Orange tonight. Gavin Adler was an IL midseason first team all American defender who has shut down some pretty good attackmen this year. I think he'll be able to handle Dordevic. Irelan can be a little streaky, and perhaps his older brother might have an insight or two, but given the way SU has been shooting the ball, on the whole I think he'll have the advantage.

Defensively, Syracuse just isn't very good right now. Their efficiency on that side of the ball is pretty dreadful at 68th in the country. I'm not totally sure why the unit is so bad right now, when I look at the individual pieces there are good players dotted all over - Caccamo, Kennedy, Aviles and Rice are all playing at high levels. But they are giving up a ton of goals. The cure to this ailment definitely isn't the Cornell attack which is really good (as IT pointed out).

A week ago I thought Syracuse had a good chance in this game, Cornell was coming off a one goal win over Dartmouth and I thought their game against Harvard would be a slugfest. Now Syracuse is coming off an embarrassing loss to Albany and the Big Red didn't have to put up much of a fight against the Crimson. We shall see, crazier things have happened, but I'll honestly be impressed if SU can keep it within five.

Little more than 24 hrs to opening faceoff and no Cornell writeup from Powell or Jeremy tells me that fatigue is setting in so Ill attempt to jumpstart a thread so they and others can add some substance.

Cornell (9-1) comes in off a impressive performance and arguably a top five team , a Cuse victory is not expected but would certainly be soothing to many. Cornell of course has to be coming in off a sharp performance .

Strength is attack but they are well balanced. Said in preseason that sophomore Kirst would be the best of all the Kirsts and he is already Cornell's best player (32-17-49). He reminds me of a bigger, stronger and faster Hiltz . Some thought Piatelli production would fall off without Teat but it hasn't partly due to passing skills of Kirst , Long and others but also because he's a darn good scorer (34-9-42) on his own right . 3rd attackman Long ( 14-17-31) is is another Delbarton product. He can initiate behind the cage so requires a pole . Coyle (13-9-22) has alternated with Long at times and is another weapon Their mids complement an attack -centric offense but have a five in Coyle, Blake, Kelleher , Liccardi and Wirthheim that can initiate offense from up . Just like Cornell teams under Millman , all can distribute and score some. Faceoffs use to be what held Cornell back in recent t years but Petrakis has corrected that . Cuse should still have a slight advantage in face-offs and wing play but wins will have to have to be earned. BigRed rope unit is solid and their defense has held opponents to ten goals a game holding opponents to 52% sog which is low. Goalie Ierlan has bounced and has a save percentage of 54%.

Back to Cuse, certainly a disappointing Albany game . Rain and being sheet on after ND game might have factored some but simply have to execute alot better agaisnt a talented and disciplined team. Needless to say (- so why say it, never understood that saying ) 5 offsides cant be repeated .Watching some leave field distraught after giving their all was disturbing. One huge positive out of last two games is having Buttermore back as he is is a legit scoring threat that can alleviate some pressure off Dordevic and Curry. Not sure of Quinn status but same applies.

Go Orange, finish strong

Good post IT, think you nailed most of the key issues. At this point it's hard to see a path for and SU win with how bad the offense is right now and how inconsistent the Defense is. The difference between the Cornell attack and Syracuse is night and day. Likely the team is simply playing out the string at this point .

A day of total domination at the x wouldn't hurt. They have given up goals at times but I agree with powellfan that Adler is a problem. Small but mighty. A lot of guys on Cornell have not played in the dome before. Unfortunately Ierlan is not one of them, but now we got the lighting all changed around. While I debated just not watching anymore, I will be in attendance to witness the greatest turnaround in sports history...or have a few drinks.

In all seriousness I truly believe there is a version of this team that could show up and win today. I will settle for a good solid day bounce back from the defense. Offense between injuries and lack of weapons has a tough task in front of them, but the D has truly come to play at times (Maryland, Stony Brook, Hopkins, Duke) and aside from a recovering Rosa and Dami they are not that unhealthy. Petro needs to show us something here.

In all seriousness I truly believe there is a version of this team that could show up and win today. I will settle for a good solid day bounce back from the defense. Offense between injuries and lack of weapons has a tough task in front of them, but the D has truly come to play at times (Maryland, Stony Brook, Hopkins, Duke) and aside from a recovering Rosa and Dami they are not that unhealthy. Petro needs to show us something here.

If the version that showed up against Duke appears, I believe they'd have a good shot to win. If we get the version the last 2 games then it will probably be over at halftime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom