Cortland restaurant recommendations? | Syracusefan.com

Cortland restaurant recommendations?

dollarbill44

Hall of Fame
I'm coming up for Sat's game against Pitt. Will be stopping in Cortland for dinner Friday night. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent place to eat?

Go to Ithaca...sorry too much Cortaca hate in me ;)

Meatball56 said:
If you're coming from further South on 81 and like Italian I would strongly recommend Cortese in Binghamton

Absolutely. Place is orgasmic

We're coming up I-81 from NJ. We're staying Friday night in Cortland. I'd prefer to be heading all the way up to SU, but the people I'm coming with are on a lower budget, so we're staying in Cortland. I've eaten at Doug's in Skaneateles several times, so I know their food.

Maybe we'll stop at Hallo Berlin in Conklin, depending on when we make it into NY.

There is not much in Cortland, but Doug's is a very popular stop for the jets players though. It's on Rt. 281 in Cortland near Price chopper. Applebees, Ponderosa is also close by there on 281. Burger King was Mark Sanchez's favorite spot.

If you like Greek the Pita gourmet is what people rave about there. I have not been there though.

Last edited:
We're coming up I-81 from NJ. We're staying Friday night in Cortland. I'd prefer to be heading all the way up to SU, but the people I'm coming with are on a lower budget, so we're staying in Cortland. I've eaten at Doug's in Skaneateles several times, so I know their food.

Maybe we'll stop at Hallo Berlin in Conklin, depending on when we make it into NY.
I believe Cortland means "low budget" in Iroquoian, so you're making the right choice ;)

I have family in Cortland and, though it's been a decade since I've been there myself, I wouldn't be surprised if Doug's is still at the top of the Cortland culinary scene, such as it is.

I'm coming up for Sat's game against Pitt. Will be stopping in Cortland for dinner Friday night. Anyone have any recommendations for a decent place to eat?
Fabio's in Cortland has fantastic Italian. All homemade. Would highly recommend it. Safe travels.

I will add another vote for cortese. Great food and they also have a killer filet. One of the restaurants I miss most from home.

As a recent graduate I will say that quality food options in Cortland are limited. Doug's is your safest bet in regards to consistent quality. Main st. has numerous eating options as well. If your plan is to grab a few drinks and take in the "downtown" area, then a place like Central City Bar & Grill would be a good spot to grab some food.

I had a very good meal at Amelia's Ristorante a few years back. I'd highly recommend them, assuming the quality is the same. They seemed to do a very good business too. Here's their menu, although I suspect it's out-of-date. Address is 152 Port Watson Street, Cortland, NY 13045.

My experience in downtown Cortland has been pretty much limited to the occasional drink at Dark Horse, although IIRC they had wing & taco deals on specific nights of the week. That might be an option if you just wanted some pub food. I think (but not sure) that that's also a prominent college bar for the SUNY Cortland students, so be prepared to have a lot of undergrads around if you go (and classes are in session). Next door is Hairy Tony's, which bills itself as a "gastropub." I know the Jets players eat there a lot when they're in town for training camp, and Sanchez in particular liked it.

I spend very little time in Cortland, so hopefully a local can be of more help to you. These days, when I (rarely) pass thru Cortland, I usually just stop at Doug's or the A&W, the latter being more fast food. I know of a lot of great places to eat in Ithaca, so I usually just wait until I get there to eat. :D

Try the Hollywood Restaurant in downtown Cortland. Cortese Restaurant on Robinson St. in Binghamton is great.

Go Cuse!

There is not much in Cortland, but Doug's is a very popular stop for the jets players though. It's on Rt. 281 in Cortland near Price chopper. Applebees, Ponderosa is also close by there on 281.

While I wouldn't wish Ponderosa on my worst enemy, if his friends are truly serious about saving money, I just checked Restaurant.com and Cortland's Ponderosa is up there. You can also save an additional 40% off by using coupon code: FOOD. So, for example, you could get a $25 certificate for $6 (minimum purchase of $37.50).

I'd still go with Amelia's if you want a good quality sit down meal. However, if your friends are serious about saving cash, there's an easy way to save $19. No guarantees on how they'll feel after though! :p

Fabio's in Cortland has fantastic Italian. All homemade. Would highly recommend it. Safe travels.
Fabio's is the only place I know in Cortland. Not bad and reasonably priced.

I grew up with great German food. Saw the Hallo Berlin sign many times on rte 81. Tried it once. Never again. Lousy food, service and atmosphere.

Hairy Tony's is a great place to eat. Best pub menu around. Everything from chicken pot pie to lobster kabobs. Goob beers, wine, and whiskey. Order some shoe string fries when you put in your drink order. Great snack for the table. http://www.hairytonys.com/forms/htmenu.pdf

There is not much in Cortland, but Doug's is a very popular stop for the jets players though. It's on Rt. 281 in Cortland near Price chopper. Applebees, Ponderosa is also close by there on 281. Burger King was Mark Sanchez's favorite spot.

If you like Greek the Pita gourmet is what people rave about there. I have not been there though.

If your friends are on a budget, there's a place in Cortland called the Hollywood Restaurant that has a nice family atmosphere, with burgers, etc. Statue of Marilyn Monroe near the entrance, lots of movie posters, etc. Very affordable, like going to a TGIFridays.

been well over two decades since i worked in cortland but i do remember the dark horse, jack danielsons, applegates and stopping at frank and marys diner after the bars closed. glad to hear the Horse is still kicking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom