Costa Rica | Syracusefan.com

Costa Rica

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I was there once before but looking to go again. I previously split my week between Jaco and Montezuma. Still want to spend some time in Montezuma but looking to spend three or four days somewhere else and looking for options. Thanks.

I think about buying a property and just living down there like every week.

spring of 2017 we spent a week at the four seasons on peninsula papagayo on the pacific side. . . frankly, a bit run down for a four seasons property. it was also incredibly hot and not well shaded. typical beach spot with excellent tropical waters . . . the best thing we did while there was hike up arenal volcano and swim in several volcanic pools.

our second week we spent at the peace lodge near heredia, up in the mountains. we enjoyed this much more - cooler weather, and more to do. but it is not beachy at all.

never made it to the atlantic coast

I've spent a good bit of time there for work and own some land up in the mountains near Atenas. What sort of stuff are you looking for? Beaches? Rain forests? Adventure?

I've spent a good bit of time there for work and own some land up in the mountains near Atenas. What sort of stuff are you looking for? Beaches? Rain forests? Adventure?
Like I said I spent a week previous. I just know want to spend some time in Montezuma. Anything else we are open for suggestions.

Like I said I spent a week previous. I just know want to spend some time in Montezuma. Anything else we are open for suggestions.

Volcan Arenal is great if you want to try something other than the beach. There are some expensive, but really nice hotels with their own thermal hot springs. Our favorite hotel is the Observatory Lodge. It isn't as fancy and doesn't have hot springs but it is the closest to the volcano and the hiking up there is fantastic.

Monteverde has the best ziplining in the country and the cloud forest is beautiful, especially if you like birding, but in my opinion, the place is getting too touristy. We met a guy there who tried really hard to get me to go into business with him on a microbrewery. Every time I get fed up with my job, I think about giving him a call.

It's definitely not authentic Costa Rican, but Ponderosa Adventure Park is great for kids. We took our kids there for Christmas last year and they drive you around in trucks so that you can feed exotic animals. The giraffes were a riot. They were pretty aggressive going after our carrots and with their long necks they would come at us from every angle.

One of my favorite out of the way national parks is Rincon de la Vieja. One part of the park is rarely visited but it has some natural hot springs that you can swim in. The other part of the park is full of bubbling cauldrons of mud from the volcano. It also has some nice rain forest and a waterfall.

The Osa Peninsula is a pain to get to but it has the best wildlife viewing I have ever seen. You will see all kinds of monkeys, birds, snakes, sloths, and anteaters all in one place. My last visit there, I got to see a tapir, which was on my bucket list.

If you want an Osa like experience without the hassle, Manuel Antonio has some good wildlife viewing. The only bummer for me is how much the area around the park has been built up over the years. I taught a course there and we rented this awesome house right on the edge of the park. Every day we could sit on our back porch and watch monkeys, sloths, and all sorts of birds stop by. We even had some macaws fly by.

Volcan Arenal is great if you want to try something other than the beach. There are some expensive, but really nice hotels with their own thermal hot springs. Our favorite hotel is the Observatory Lodge. It isn't as fancy and doesn't have hot springs but it is the closest to the volcano and the hiking up there is fantastic.

Monteverde has the best ziplining in the country and the cloud forest is beautiful, especially if you like birding, but in my opinion, the place is getting too touristy. We met a guy there who tried really hard to get me to go into business with him on a microbrewery. Every time I get fed up with my job, I think about giving him a call.

It's definitely not authentic Costa Rican, but Ponderosa Adventure Park is great for kids. We took our kids there for Christmas last year and they drive you around in trucks so that you can feed exotic animals. The giraffes were a riot. They were pretty aggressive going after our carrots and with their long necks they would come at us from every angle.

One of my favorite out of the way national parks is Rincon de la Vieja. One part of the park is rarely visited but it has some natural hot springs that you can swim in. The other part of the park is full of bubbling cauldrons of mud from the volcano. It also has some nice rain forest and a waterfall.

The Osa Peninsula is a pain to get to but it has the best wildlife viewing I have ever seen. You will see all kinds of monkeys, birds, snakes, sloths, and anteaters all in one place. My last visit there, I got to see a tapir, which was on my bucket list.

If you want an Osa like experience without the hassle, Manuel Antonio has some good wildlife viewing. The only bummer for me is how much the area around the park has been built up over the years. I taught a course there and we rented this awesome house right on the edge of the park. Every day we could sit on our back porch and watch monkeys, sloths, and all sorts of birds stop by. We even had some macaws fly by.
Thanks. There are so many great things of interest. I love the monkeys and would love to see the sloths. I found some flights from Boston to SJO in the spring for less than $300 round trip on Copa Airlines.

We did the Arenal volcano and Manuel Antonio itinerary when we went a few years ago. Loved them both. Would go back to Manuel Antonio for the food and coffee, and want to try the fishing out of Chepo (think that's how they spell it).

We did a killer hike, as in I nearly killed my wife for taking us on a hike that long, but I can't remember where it was. Will have to look it up. After scaring the poop out of CuseTroop this week on a hike in curacao, I want to continue the trend.

I think they have legal whores in Costa Rica.

Guanacaste, pacific side and Lola Beach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom