Could Benny's college career follow a Damone Brown-like trajectory? | Syracusefan.com

Could Benny's college career follow a Damone Brown-like trajectory?

Eric15

Living Legend
Same height, Benny is obviously a little thicker, plays the same position as 3/4s.

Damone as a freshman just wasn't ready and hardly contributed, similar to Benny.

As sophomores, they both took a considerable step forward. Damone became a starter and averaged 9.5 and 5.5 (albeit on a more talented team). Benny became a starter and is averaging 7.8 and 4.6. Damone developed a nice mid-range jumper as his career evolved. I literally couldn't even conceptualize last year Benny ever being able to shoot the ball, but his jumper (despite its strange flat arc) has become light-years better.

Benny is almost certainly a 4-year player. Who knows, maybe he could be a player of Damone's caliber (16 and 8) as a senior.

He cannot dribble the ball whatsoever and and he doesn't have any post game - his upside would be a middle range shooter and someone that could finish on breaks - I don't know why he was rated so high out of high school - he's getting better - but he's someone positionless

Benny could sneak into to the league. He is growing into body and skillset. Once get that together watch out

Same height, Benny is obviously a little thicker, plays the same position as 3/4s.

Damone as a freshman just wasn't ready and hardly contributed, similar to Benny.

As sophomores, they both took a considerable step forward. Damone became a starter and averaged 9.5 and 5.5 (albeit on a more talented team). Benny became a starter and is averaging 7.8 and 4.6. Damone developed a nice mid-range jumper as his career evolved. I literally couldn't even conceptualize last year Benny ever being able to shoot the ball, but his jumper (despite its strange flat arc) has become light-years better.

Benny is almost certainly a 4-year player. Who knows, maybe he could be a player of Damone's caliber (16 and 8) as a senior.

I think I had more faith in Damone during his soph year than Benny, but I do think it's a very apt comparison for potential career trajectories if Benny can continue to learn and get better.

Damone had zero feel for basketball. I hope his trajectory is better.

damone should have redshirted. regardless in today's college experience kid's don't stick around regardless.

Damone is a pretty good comp, nicely done. Kris Joseph was another forward that didn’t contribute very much his freshman year (and really couldn’t shoot a lick when he arrived at SU), but who improved tremendously over 4 years. Benny’s jumper has looked much better this year, and he appears to be a lot more comfortable on the offensive end. Let’s hope he keeps improving, because we really need him.

Damone is a pretty good comp, nicely done. Kris Joseph was another forward that didn’t contribute very much his freshman year (and really couldn’t shoot a lick when he arrived at SU), but who improved tremendously over 4 2.5 years. ...

Fixed?

Damone had zero feel for basketball. I hope his trajectory is better.
Man, I gotta say his soph year is a little hazy in my mind as far as details go, but I know I had a lot of faith in him as a Junior and especially as a senior.

I keep banging the drum - Benny is going to grow into being our starting 5 next season, and he's going to be awesome there.

He cannot dribble the ball whatsoever and and he doesn't have any post game - his upside would be a middle range shooter and someone that could finish on breaks - I don't know why he was rated so high out of high school - he's getting better - but he's someone positionless

Benny could sneak into to the league. He is growing into body and skillset. Once get that together watch out

These were funny to see back to back

Wait what? He was second team All-Big East as a senior.
My recollection, without respect to accolades and statistics, was of him taking us out of key games with poor shot selection and a “me”approach. Memory is tough but his TBT performance gave me some flashbacks.

My recollection, without respect to accolades and statistics, was of him taking us out of key games with poor shot selection and a “me”approach. Memory is tough but his TBT performance gave me some flashbacks.

….are you thinking of Donte Green?

I don’t remember Damone ever playing in TBT.

He has no outstanding skill and is not an elite athlete by NBA or even G league standards.

Any time I hear “Damone Brown” it’s an excuse to post the first great Orange game of the 2000’s. We put on a freakin show. We looked like Auburn and Houston looked like when they played against us the last couple years. Let’s get it back….

That’s exactly who Dave is thinking of. Come on. If you’re going to trash a guy at least get his name right.
Green….Brown. First name starts with a D. I get it.

Man, I gotta say his soph year is a little hazy in my mind as far as details go, but I know I had a lot of faith in him as a Junior and especially as a senior.
He put together three very solid years and was a much better rebounder than I remembered. He was also the only Damone in college basketball history.