Could Shafer had duplicated Baber's success? | Syracusefan.com

Could Shafer had duplicated Baber's success?

Orangefan1

All Conference
I might be in the minority but we are 4-5 right now. Tim Lester brought us Dungey and I believe they recruited Devito. I am just wondering where we would be if Shafer were still the head coach. I see probably a one win differential at this point in the year even if Shafer is the coach. However, I feel Babers in the long run will be what was best in the program. I guess we shall see.

I might be in the minority but we are 4-5 right now. Tim Lester brought us Dungey and I believe they recruited Devito. I am just wondering where we would be if Shafer were still the head coach. I see probably a one win differential at this point in the year even if Shafer is the coach. However, I feel Babers in the long run will be what was best in the program. I guess we shall see.

I don't know if Shafer's staff reached out to Devito, but Babers' staff reeled him in. I don't think he commits to a Lester-led SU offense.

Don't think it'd even be close. Yes, the record might be the same, but the points scored vs. points allowed differential under Shafer would have been huge this year.

I know you are what your record says you are, but I think we are really close right now to being a great team that can win any game on a weekly basis. Just need a few breaks to go our way.

Uh, you believe wrong.
Babers landed Devito, period.

HOW many blowout losses did we suffer under FHCSMFS?
ALL OF THE BLOWOUTS.

How many upsets of Top 25 teams did Shafer have in 3 years?
Zero point zero.

Dino is a man with a plan.
With a staff that is not at their first rodeo.

Where would we be? Continued irrelevance.

The chances of that happening are as follows:
image.jpeg

Or put another way the chances of that would be slim and none, and Slim just left town....ill see myself out...

Shafer sucked as a HC.

The apathy on this board would be x10.
I doubt we are 4-5. I don’t think we beat Clemson or Pitt.
Robinson knocking out Browne was huge in that game.

With Coach Lock ‘em Up we are 3-6 IMO and instead of ISIS in press conference we hear discussions on Trump and polarization in the dag gone country.

With Shafer we are 3-6. No way we beat Clemson, no way we beat Pitt but we do beat tiny ole MTSU. The difference is that Dungey would already be done for the season. We'd be playing our 3rd or 4th string QB and looking at another 0 win November.

Absolutely not. The team got worse year to year. There was no improvement or anything positive you could take away at season's end.

2-7, with blowout losses at Miami, FSU, LSU, NC State, and Clemson home, a boring and terrible offense, and horrid recruiting.

Why is this a question? No offense, but I just don't get what people are watching, if they feel in any way, that this team isn't improving, or if this team is on par with any Scott Shafer team. Come to think of it, I think last years team would have beaten Scott Shafers teams.

We got blown out a LOT under shafer, and that was in year 3. Did we ever beat someone we werent supposed to? I think not.

Its sort of like Rutgers this season with Kill and Ash. They are ready to extend him becuase they beat some bad BiG teams, which is good for them, they should. But whats the point if they are getting blown out by 30+ to the PSU, MSU, UM and OSU's of the BIG?

I think SS is a really good defensive coordinator who could have been a good HC for us with a little more time to assemble a staff. In addition, I think he is a great person who was a good representative of this university. That said, I think HCDB is already operating at a high level. The style of play is more exciting, and unique in a way that differentiates this program - an important component of a medium sized program trying to compete with the big programs. He is an equally good representative of SU. Beyond that, he seems to have some "it" factor that may be a real bonus to SU football going forward. We already seem to be at the point again where I believe we have a chance to win every time out. And that's saying something. Looking past comparative records 1-1/2 years into the Babers era, our high end possibilities appear much higher.

4-5 with a win over MTSU and a loss to Clemson and 4 blowouts perhaps?

This is good point. Its important not to get blown out on national tv while throwing a temper tamtrum.

I think SS is a really good defensive coordinator who could have been a good HC for us with a little more time to assemble a staff. In addition, I think he is a great person who was a good representative of this university. That said, I think HCDB is already operating at a high level. The style of play is more exciting, and unique in a way that differentiates this program - an important component of a medium sized program trying to compete with the big programs. He is an equally good representative of SU. Beyond that, he seems to have some "it" factor that may be a real bonus to SU football going forward. We already seem to be at the point again where I believe we have a chance to win every time out. And that's saying something. Looking past comparative records 1-1/2 years into the Babers era, our high end possibilities appear much higher.

I think hiring the likes of George McDonald and Joe Adam tells you all you need to know about Shafer's ability to hire a good staff.

totally agree with the remainder of your post, regarding Dino.