Couple of thoughts about Shrader | Syracusefan.com

Couple of thoughts about Shrader

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
It is so refreshing to come to the board after a game and not read the same half dozen or so posts making excuses for QB play. Nobody is saying "the OL was hurting!" or "his best WR transferred!" Both of these are true and yet nobody is making those excuses.

Why? Because they don't need to. 338 total yards from Shrader, 2 TD's (plus a rushing TD), no interceptions, a hair over 6 yards per carry, a not-outstanding but OK 56% passing, and he led an offense that scored 34 points in regulation against a top 20 team.

He doesn't need to be surrounded with a perfect situation to get stuff done. He is making the team better just by his presence.

The improvement in poise is noticeable. So is the physicality. He is taking some hits that would put some of our past QB's in Intensive Care. But think about it; he is the same size as Larry Czonka and almost the same size as Darryl Johnston. Let that sink in for a moment. There are past Orange teams where he could have played fullback.

Will he eventually get hurt? I don't see how he can avoid it. The book on Dungey was "we can't beat him so we have to take him out of the game", the result being that Eric took more cheap shots than any QB we ever had. Some said he was injury-prone but the fact is that opponents were fine with any malfeasance necessary to hurt him. I expect that Shrader will be the recipient of the same dirty tricks before long. Hopefully his size will cushion him a little.

We are going to have to somehow move beyond Garrett and Sean carrying the team on their backs. The D is going to have to step up and we are going to need a bit more diversity in the offensive playbook. But for now, even in defeat, it was a more fun team to watch.

Not to knock Babers down even more, but the decision in the off season to not start Shrader from game one and to install the offense we saw yesterday for game 1 in the cost the team the Rutgers game and the FSU game. A slightly better offense against Rutgers and Syracuse wins and a better offense against FSU early and Syracuse wins. Imagine where the offense would be Shrader had the Ohio and Alabany games to knock the rust off playing the offense we saw yesterday?

If Shrader is the floor for QB next two seasons, Syracuse football could be fun again. Unfortunately I have zero confidence in the coaches to learn on the job. And by coaches I mean the head coach…

We have to somehow find a legit #1 outside wide receiver who can run routes and beat press coverage. We had a couple of coverage sacks/scrambles against us. Queeley mucked up that overtime play resulting in the sack because he couldn’t get off the jam. They were passing to him Schrader had nowhere to go…Queeley couldn’t run the route

Last edited:
It is so refreshing to come to the board after a game and not read the same half dozen or so posts making excuses for QB play. Nobody is saying "the OL was hurting!" or "his best WR transferred!" Both of these are true and yet nobody is making those excuses.

Why? Because they don't need to. 338 total yards from Shrader, 2 TD's (plus a rushing TD), no interceptions, a hair over 6 yards per carry, a not-outstanding but OK 56% passing, and he led an offense that scored 34 points in regulation against a top 20 team.

He doesn't need to be surrounded with a perfect situation to get stuff done. He is making the team better just by his presence.

The improvement in poise is noticeable. So is the physicality. He is taking some hits that would put some of our past QB's in Intensive Care. But think about it; he is the same size as Larry Czonka and almost the same size as Darryl Johnston. Let that sink in for a moment. There are past Orange teams where he could have played fullback.

Will he eventually get hurt? I don't see how he can avoid it. The book on Dungey was "we can't beat him so we have to take him out of the game", the result being that Eric took more cheap shots than any QB we ever had. Some said he was injury-prone but the fact is that opponents were fine with any malfeasance necessary to hurt him. I expect that Shrader will be the recipient of the same dirty tricks before long. Hopefully his size will cushion him a little.

We are going to have to somehow move beyond Garrett and Sean carrying the team on their backs. The D is going to have to step up and we are going to need a bit more diversity in the offensive playbook. But for now, even in defeat, it was a more fun team to watch.
Good post. Garrett has room to grow on the passing side of the ledger, that should /will smooth out the load between QB/RB/WR. At the game yesterday Jackson was wide open on at least three or four pass attempts. No body within 10 to 15 yards kind of open. I am not sure how the staff and players are communicating but the staff in the booth had to see it and they need to walk through that. I get we are not Pro‘s but there is no discussion happening with Shrader on the sidelines. No in game adjustment or guidance. I saw Babers talk with him once on the bench. Put a headset on so Garrett and Gilbert can align in game.

Good post. Garrett has room to grow on the passing side of the ledger, that should /will smooth out the load between QB/RB/WR. At the game yesterday Jackson was wide open on at least three or four pass attempts. No body within 10 to 15 yards kind of open. I am not sure how the staff and players are communicating but the staff in the booth had to see it and they need to walk through that. I get we are not Pro‘s but there is no discussion happening with Shrader on the sidelines. No in game adjustment or guidance. I saw Babers talk with him once on the bench. Put a headset on so Garrett and Gilbert can align in game.

Yeah, there was one play where the announcers were practically shouting that we had a WR running WIDE OPEN for an EZ TD -
but Shrader didn’t see him.

Our WR’s so seldom get THAT open, so we need our QB to see those and make the play the D just gifted you.

Not to knock Babers down even more, but the decision in the off season to not start Shrader from game one and to install the offense we saw yesterday for game 1 in the cost the team the Rutgers game and the FSU game. A slightly better offense against Rutgers and Syracuse wins and a better offense against FSU early and Syracuse wins. Imagine where the offense would be Shrader had the Ohio and Alabany games to knock the rust off playing the offense we saw yesterday?

If Shrader is the floor for QB next two seasons, Syracuse football could be fun again. Unfortunately I have zero confidence in the coaches to learn on the job. And by coaches I mean the head coach…
If the queen had balls she would be king.

Just asking, was the TD pass to Tucker the same play as last week that Shrader didn’t see. It looked like he was as wide open as last week; but doesn’t mean it was the same play.

Yeah, there was one play where the announcers were practically shouting that we had a WR running WIDE OPEN for an EZ TD -
but Shrader didn’t see him.

Our WR’s so seldom get THAT open, so we need our QB to see those and make the play the D just gifted you.
Jackson had ten yards on his man down the sideline, but Shrader was been chased and he missed him.

Since I started watching around 1982 or ‘83, I hold all of our star QBs in the HIGHEST regards.

For me, Dungey was as good as it realistically gets (for this program) during his 3+ years as a starter. We were blessed to have him. That said, for one Saturday, Schrader went beyond any of that. That effort yesterday was equal parts Herculean and heroic. We’re lucky to have him, too!

Now, let’s do everything we can to keep him upright.

Great post. Is there any sideline discussion? Why isn't Schrader wearing a headset on the sidelines?

We have to somehow find a legit #1 outside wide receiver who can run routes and beat press coverage. We had a couple of coverage sacks/scrambles. Queeley mucked up that overtime play resulting in the sack because he couldn’t get off the jam. They were passing to him Schrader had nowhere to go…Queeley couldn’t run the route
If that’s the case teams will start putting 8 in the box and press for 60 minutes. If I was a defensive coordinator I’d dare the current WR corps to win 1-on-1 all game long.

If that’s the case teams will start putting 8 in the box and press for 60 minutes. If I was a defensive coordinator I’d dare the current WR corps to win 1-on-1 all game long.

That was the book on us after Florida State this is no secret we can’t throw (particularly beyond 15). Team aren’t good enough to press for 60 minutes But why would they when Schrader struggles to throw deeper into zone coverage. Wake did try to flood the box but we ran against it anyways.

We don’t have a wide receiver who can beat the jam and go up and get a fade. It’s the exact same play wake beat us on last night we don’t have a guy who can do that. I didn’t see deuces coverage so I don’t know how it unfolded but we don’t have a guy we can throw it up to like that. And if we do - Alford - we’re not trying.

The jam against Keeley took him right out of the play though whatever they were going to do throw a slant throw to the end zone Shrader had to eat it because Keeley was taken out of the play and they were blitzing.

Last edited:

I maintain that the staff was afraid to go to Shrader too much in our first games because we didn't have Elmore.

That's my conspiracy theory - a ton of what was installed for Shrader involved Elmore, and when Rhino had to miss games, they didn't feel confident putting him in with Mang/whatever else they had installed with him.

I was thinking about this too. I get the hesitation though. The stuff that Shrader does is hard to see in practice because QBs don't get touched. Had Shrader been a redshirt on the scout team, they likely have a better feel for him.

That was the book on us after Florida State this is no secret we can’t throw (particularly beyond 15). Team aren’t good enough to press for 60 minutes But why would they when Schrader struggles to throw deeper into zone coverage. Wake did try to flood the box but we ran against it anyways.

We don’t have a wide receiver who can beat the jam and go up and get a fade. It’s the exact same play wake beat us on last night we don’t have a guy who can do that. I didn’t see deuces coverage so I don’t know how it unfolded but we don’t have a guy we can throw it up to like that. And if we do - Alford - we’re not trying.

The jam against Keeley took him right out of the play though whatever they were going to do throw a slant throw to the end zone Shrader had to eat it because Keeley was taken out of the play and they were blitzing.
We may have WR’s who can do that but we won’t play them yet.

Remember, Schrader hadn’t played QB in well over a year before he transferred here. I don’t think the Schrader you are seeing today is the one that opened up in camp (in fact I know it wasn’t). He’s gotten better every week and most likely leaped ahead in week 2.

He’s only going to improve over time. And as a reminder, improvement isn’t linear. There will be some speed bumps along the way, but I really like what he brings to this offense.

I would love to see our coach build and recruit for the next few years with the returning players we have, especially Tucker and Shrader. The problem is that if HCDB hasn’t learned to manage the games yet, will he ever? I hope something changes, because we have a lot of youth on this team that can become exceptional players (NFL draft picks).

Remember, Schrader hadn’t played QB in well over a year before he transferred here. I don’t think the Schrader you are seeing today is the one that opened up in camp (in fact I know it wasn’t). He’s gotten better every week and most likely leaped ahead in week 2.

He’s only going to improve over time. And as a reminder, improvement isn’t linear. There will be some speed bumps along the way, but I really like what he brings to this offense.
We are seeing his potential and he is openly admitting he has to continue to improve his passing. We are seeing the improvements week over week but imagine where he was this summer. Eek. I'm grateful the decision has been made, he will get better and my apathy in the team has subsided for the first time in a couple years.

I was thinking about this too. I get the hesitation though. The stuff that Shrader does is hard to see in practice because QBs don't get touched. Had Shrader been a redshirt on the scout team, they likely have a better feel for him.
One thing I hated watching yesterday was that WF delay run offense. I just do not like it. They have done it a long time with some level of success.

He seems feisty too. Sure looked like he wanted to go for it on 4th down.

One thing I hated watching yesterday was that WF delay run offense. I just do not like it. They have done it a long time with some level of success.
It was nice to see the defensive game plan for that though. Very little rushing up the field. Maintained gap integrity and kept everything in front of them. They did call enough pass rush to keep wake honest.

I g
It was nice to see the defensive game plan for that though. Very little rushing up the field. Maintained gap integrity and kept everything in front of them. They did call enough pass rush to keep wake honest.
I am all for ball fakes..deception and so forth. I agree the DLine did a solid job defensing the delay.

I know there is no rule against this delayed run that WF utilizes. But I consider it unfair deception. Faking run amuck. QB and RB literally linked together..holding onto ball for seconds. Hiding ball behind bodies. Then the fake pass or actual pass. It is not truly a ball fake..you are just hiding ball from sight for seconds. I do not like it. Regardless of team using it. I'd outlaw it myself out of rules. I do not think it fair or entertaining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom