COVID Camping Adventures | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

COVID Camping Adventures

I'm pretty excited to see where this thing will take us
Camper Us.jpg

We got in about 7pm Friday night. A few friends rolled in throughout the night. Woke up early Saturday and drove out to the hot springs for a little soak. Pulled out Sunday about 2pm for the quick hourish drive home.

View attachment 183840
was a pretty solid weekend.

"They wouldn't have put a ladder on it if they didn't want me on the roof"
View attachment 183841
Any fish in that river?

Took her out on the maiden voyage this past weekend. We kept it pretty close to home for the first trip, I didn't want to take many chances while I'm still checking out the motor and suspension. New tires arrive this week, and I've been a little worried about the old ones. We headed up Chena Hot Springs Road (CHSR), which starts just a few miles out of town.

We are building a removable platform between the seats for the pups so they don't both try to ride in her lap the whole way. Will also make it easy for them to move back to the bed if they want. We set up a makeshift deal for this trip, but Felix ended up finding his way into my lap and used my arm for a pillow for about 10 miles.
View attachment 183838

We found a cool little spot at 38 mile CHSR. Right on the river at the end of this little dirt path. My buddy followed us up in his rat rod that was filled with firewood. Prolly the coolest log hauler in town lol.
View attachment 183839
Ripped cargo pants? Ghost, are you seeing this?

Lately just swimbaits/jerkbaits. Usually a rapala make. Also like storm and it’s either strike king or KVD not 100% sure. Tally alsways try to toss something that has some blue or purple. Got two good perch lures that have nailed me some good pike in the past as well.
I have a ton of mepps and blue foxes as well. Some top water lures as well, jitterbug hulapopper, and frogger.

What’s your go to?
We use to crush the pike up there on Mepps #4 black fury series spinners, spinner baits, and live minnows.

Last edited:
I used to nail them on those a lot to, used to hit them all the time is Canada but just kinda moved to jerk/swim baits. Need to get back into variety.
Yeah from what I've heard ( I only fly fish now) swimbaits are the ticket. You should just go full circle and use the old red/white Daredevil. Haha.
When I first started going up there somewhere around 9 or 10 yrs old, my life's goal was to catch a muskie. I'd get my grandfathers old tackle box and throw those ancient muskie plugs just dreaming of seeing one. Never did, but boy we had fun throwing those out there.
Btw, those old plugs if you can get your hands on any are worth serious cash. I bought a book of collecting lures with prices some years ago when I thought I was getting into it. There's lures that the box it comes in, and I mean the box only is worth $300. I'm positive some of my grandfather's lures were in that book. No telling where those things are now.

Last edited:
And before anyone complains about the pictures that are sideways, they were to large for the sever to process so I had to change their sizes. And then they turn sideways.
I had more picture and videos but they were on Snapchat, cusetroop got to see them though.
What's the max size pics can be on here? Having the worst time with that. I have a macbook and I downsized them multiple times. I got down to 2MB and still too large.

We use to crush the pike up there on Mepps #4 black fury series spinners, spinner baits, and live minnows.
I've been living near the ocean and doing salt water fishing the last 40 years, and these posts brought back a flood of fond memories. What about the classic Panther Martin and the Abu-Garcia Reflex lures?
As a youth, I used to spend my limited cash ordering fishing lures from the Herter's catalog that were "Guaranteed to Catch Fish!".
Later, when salmon fishing took off in Lake Ontario, the "Little Cleo" was deadly.

From a few weeks ago, a very big female moose first thing early morning as we hit the trail. Bad lighting not the best pic
1595360737066.jpeg

20 min later from almost exactly 12,000’ over looking the Fraser valley. That’s Winter park ski resort across the way
1595361241684.jpeg

Had to hike back up the side of the mountain and get out of dodge before the lightning begins. Rule of thumb, when above tree line (usually around 10,500’) you have to be off the mountain or back below tree line by 1pm
1595361534112.jpeg

From a few weeks ago, a very big female moose first thing early morning as we hit the trail. Bad lighting not the best picView attachment 184347
20 min later from almost exactly 12,000’ over looking the Fraser valley. That’s Winter park ski resort across the way
View attachment 184350
Had to hike back up the side of the mountain and get out of dodge before the lightning begins. Rule of thumb, when above tree line (usually around 10,500’) you have to be off the mountain or back below tree line by 1pm
View attachment 184351

super cool!

Do you have a waterproof case for it, or is the 11 straight up waterproof? I haven't fallen into the water with mine yet lol
The 11 Pro is waterproof. I just stick the whole thing underwater no problem. I have about as minimal a case as you can have, very thin and basically wraps the border and the back, that's it. Still didn't help me get it out of my pocket any faster yesterday, when I ran across a mountain goat, standing in a perfect pose on the side of a mountain with miles of the valley below him. Would've been magazine quality.

I have no idea. But it drives me insane.
temery
My recommendation is to send them via email to a PC and save them as jpgs. Then send them back to your mac/iphone/ipad. Or post them from your PC.

Jpegs have a really efficient algorithm for storing large photos.

My recommendation is to send them via email to a PC and save them as jpgs. Then send them back to your mac/iphone/ipad. Or post them from your PC.

Jpegs have a really efficient algorithm for storing large photos.
Also I discovered that I had my phone camera on the ‘live’ setting for pictures. Which is essentially a tiny video clip. I turned it off and then I didn’t have the issue, and was able to post them. Also not sure how accurate, but a friend of mine said the picture quality isn’t as good either in the live setting.

Also I discovered that I had my phone camera on the ‘live’ setting for pictures. Which is essentially a tiny video clip. I turned it off and then I didn’t have the issue, and was able to post them. Also not sure how accurate, but a friend of mine said the picture quality isn’t as good either in the live setting.
Agree with all of this.

The 11 Pro is waterproof. I just stick the whole thing underwater no problem. I have about as minimal a case as you can have, very thin and basically wraps the border and the back, that's it. Still didn't help me get it out of my pocket any faster yesterday, when I ran across a mountain goat, standing in a perfect pose on the side of a mountain with miles of the valley below him. Would've been magazine quality.

No doubt, how did I not know that lol. I have the pro max and have been in a few different situations where an underwater photo could be pretty cool, or haven't taken it on a float trip due to not wanting to get it wet. Im gonna go drop this thing in toilet just because I can

No joke, I think I camped at that site like 15 years ago.

You can check, I assume that there is a plaque up or something to commemorate it.
There’s a plaque on a tree on the site. Something about a favorite pee place?

Going for a road trip. Give me your camping meal recommendations!

Going for a road trip. Give me your camping meal recommendations!

How's the trip? Not much help on meal recommendations, we're still rookies. We always do ribeye over the fire one night. Normally rock burgers or something the 2nd night.

She makes a sausage vegetable thing, that she puts in a huge aluminium pan deal. Super good, but takes forever to cook over a fire.

Breakfast burritos are a must. I'm thinking about bringing stuff for tacos, browning the beef in a pan on our propane 1 burner. I think it could work out well, quick easy.

Been playing around with a "swedish stove". Basically it's a log piece that's hollow in the middle. You use the bark to start a fire in the hole, and let it rip. I tossed a pan over top of it and made some banging chicken. It was pretty cool. Pic below

Stove.jpg