COVID Camping Adventures | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

COVID Camping Adventures

Man, I can't believe I forgot about this thread. I also hit a point over the last month where I stopped taking so many photos while we've been out. It's been so nice being able to get about 20 miles out of town and lose service. Can't stress about work if emails can't come through! Phone doesn't normally leave the camper anymore.

We've gone somewhere almost every weekend. We had one weekend where we camped in my buddy's yard while we were finishing up building a sawmill (pic above).
We've camped a few more spots along the Chena River, found an awesome spot on the Chatanika River, and last weekend down in Healy just outside of Denali National Park.

Picking up this camper was one of the best decisions I've made in a while.

Sonnary and pips.jpg

We found a legit sandy beach along the Chena River. Mile 37.5

Kayak.jpg

While we were up on the Chatanika we kayaked about a 16 mile stretch. Had some good white water spots. Here's a wave train that was right at the takeout. We played on it for a while. Here, you can see the exact moment that I realized I might have screwed up. I was trying to surf the wave to my right, Came out of an eddy straight into it against the current. As soon as my boat kicked around I knew I was screwed. Tried a quick roll, knew there was another eddy on the other side of the river so I pulled my skirt. Water was coldddd

Spooky.jpg
Adam.jpg

Figure if I'm going to have a cool retro camper, I should prolly have the hair to go with it. Students have been getting a kick out of it whenever they see me for the first time since April lol

How's the trip? Not much help on meal recommendations, we're still rookies. We always do ribeye over the fire one night. Normally rock burgers or something the 2nd night.

She makes a sausage vegetable thing, that she puts in a huge aluminium pan deal. Super good, but takes forever to cook over a fire.

Breakfast burritos are a must. I'm thinking about bringing stuff for tacos, browning the beef in a pan on our propane 1 burner. I think it could work out well, quick easy.

Been playing around with a "swedish stove". Basically it's a log piece that's hollow in the middle. You use the bark to start a fire in the hole, and let it rip. I tossed a pan over top of it and made some banging chicken. It was pretty cool. Pic below

View attachment 186926
Love the Swedish stove man! I haven't heard of that before.

Love the Swedish stove man! I haven't heard of that before.

It's pretty solid. I'll take some more pictures of one so you get a better idea. Apparently, when you're done cooking you can put the fire inside out and reuse it but I haven't tried that yet. The last one burnt foreverrrr

It's pretty solid. I'll take some more pictures of one so you get a better idea. Apparently, when you're done cooking you can put the fire inside out and reuse it but I haven't tried that yet. The last one burnt foreverrrr
Yeah, now I'm curious. And how do you make the hole?