Cowherd is killing Melo | Syracusefan.com

Cowherd is killing Melo

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Man, I know he is just looking for a reaction, but he's going off - "Melo is a lazy ball hog." "Melo is a coach killer and a career killer and that's why agents don't want their players going there." "Melo is out of shape."

Yikes.

Funny that he refers to him as lazy, since while I haven't watched him play this year (not an NBA fan), I keep reading people like Simmons saying that even in that awful situation with him shooting too much, he's still playing about as hard as he ever has.

Funny that he refers to him as lazy, since while I haven't watched him play this year (not an NBA fan), I keep reading people like Simmons saying that even in that awful situation with him shooting too much, he's still playing about as hard as he ever has.

And averaging nearly 5 minutes more per game than the Herd's favorite Lebron.

Oh, yeah, said he's the worst at his position at defense in the NBA.

Agents don't want their players going to the Knicks because the Knicks don't have any cap room to give to free agents.

I have it on good authority from an NBA insider that Melo is highly respected among NBA players, and there are a lot of guys that are very interested in playing on a team with him if the situation can work. The Knicks offer a situation that works for nobody.

The cynical response to that would be to say that that statement doesn't mean he isn't being lazy. Just that he always is.

I wouldn't say there has been a discernible effort drop from Melo. He's dogged it on defense at times, but that's nothing new. And he's playing way too many minutes.

Agents don't want their players going to the Knicks because the Knicks don't have any cap room to give to free agents.

I have it on good authority from an NBA insider that Melo is highly respected among NBA players, and there are a lot of guys that are very interested in playing on a team with him if the situation can work. The Knicks offer a situation that works for nobody.
Hell, look at the guys in his inner circle. Kobe loves him. CP3 loves him. LeBron loves him.

Look at how he plays in the Olympics. It's not his fault he plays for such an inept franchise.

as re
Hell, look at the guys in his inner circle. Kobe loves him. CP3 loves him. LeBron loves him.

Look at how he plays in the Olympics. It's not his fault he plays for such an inept franchise.
as recently as last spring, Kobe said the best players in the NBA are "me, Lebron and Melo." he went on to name the obvious others, but those were the first three names he offered up. I think Kobe would love to swap the Spaniard for Melo straight up, but I think the Lakers would have to send D'Antoni walking first, and that isn't in the cards.

the problem with cowherd is he tries to play these jedi-mind trick games with his listeners.

"Ya know, the SEC is a lot like dating a hot girl in high school"

"Ya know the NBA is a lot like going out to dinner at a cheap restaurant"

He makes little sense even though he tries to mind you. If you have half a brain you sit back and say "What are you talking about dude"

Melo averages a double double. How about the Knicks look at the other morons on there team. JR Smith taking 15+ shots a game isn't a problem?

the problem with cowherd is he tries to play these jedi-mind trick games with his listeners.

He makes little sense even though he tries to mind you. If you have half a brain you sit back and say "What are you talking about dude"
the thing is, he knows next to nothing about basketball. he admits that he's a football guy (I don't watch football so I can't say whether he is equally dim there); he only talks about hoop because he has too and he rarely says anything insightful. Mostly he just repeats the conventional wisdom, even (especially?) when it isn't that wise.

the thing is, he knows next to nothing about basketball. he admits that he's a football guy (I don't watch football so I can't say whether he is equally dim there); he only talks about hoop because he has too and he rarely says anything insightful. Mostly he just repeats the conventional wisdom, even (especially?) when it isn't that wise.

I rarely listen to him (or any national talk radio for that matter) but he knows very little about college hoops. He is an NBA and college football guy.

This is absolutely dead on.

melo is arguably the best player on team usa. unfortunately, the knicks roster makes him shoulder too much. he is no lebron but he isn't what cowerd says either.

melo is arguably the best player on team usa. unfortunately, the knicks roster makes him shoulder too much. he is no lebron but he isn't what cowerd says either.

biased?

I generally like Cowherd outside of what he does on TV/radio. He's usually pretty good when he makes guest appearances/when he writes articles/books.

He just goes for shock factor on his own shows to generate discussion IMO.

Regarding Melo, I don't think he's lazy. I just don't think he's a smart basketball player. It's so obvious to everybody that watches him play that he's far better when he doesn't try to force things, when he tries to involve his teammates, when he puts forth an effort on the defensive end, etc. But even last year when his teammates were actually knocking shots down, he just always resorts to being an inefficient chucker that doesn't think he needs to try on defense. I love him for what he did/has done for Syracuse, but he's beyond frustrating to watch as an NBA player. That whole team is just a mess. Their entire team is just so horribly composed. If they spent more time playing basketball than they do complaining about the occasional missed call, they'd be in a lot more games than they are now. Even Tyson Chandler, who's supposedly a great leader, gives up multiple buckets each night because he'd rather moan and groan about a missed foul call than get back on defense.

/rant

cowturd doesn't play in ny. they have their own. he didn't have a station for the longest time. he saying things about a player that is hated because of where he plays. he scored the last eight points

I love how everyone bashes Melo for the Knicks problems but hardly bring up that dude that makes more than Melo to sit on the bench injured.

As a Knicks fan, the one thing you CANNOT say about Melo this year is he's "lazy". He has busted his *** all year. He gives max effort and plays ridiculous minutes. Cowherd is an effin joke and his anti-Melo shtick is getting old.

Like x100

cowturd doesn't play in ny. they have their own. he didn't have a station for the longest time. he saying things about a player that is hated because of where he plays. he scored the last eight points

This is the correct answer. ESPN radio gets killed by WFAN, he's just trying to be relevant in NY. He talks about the Jets and kills them for no reason when they are basically irrelevant, 8-8 who cares type team. He'll have these long segments about Geno Smith. It's very obvious.

The Nuggets weren't much better and Melo got blamed for them not making winning a chip there either and even when Denver won the NW, it's not like he was surrounded by guys that went on to have significant minutes on other teams.

By the way, this thread is exactly what Cowherd is hoping for when he says stuff like this

It's like the scene in the movie Private Parts, where the radio guys say that people listen to Stern because they want to see what he will say next, and the people who HATE Stern listen even more, because they want to see what he will say next.

Cowherd wants to be the sports Stern.

I used to like Cowherd for the most part. When he first started he took interesting angles on things. These days he forces it. Intead of being happy to have interesting angles from time to time - he takes an angle on everything which waters down the actually interesting thoughts he has. He practically gropes himself while talking about his respect for Rush Limbaugh's radio game and it seems like he is just becoming a radio troll in an weird attempt to swagger jack Rush and Stern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom