Craft, just sayin' | Syracusefan.com

Craft, just sayin'

Flacusian

All Conference
For the past several years the media has hyped this kid to epic proportions. Hey, as a Syracuse fan to the max I hold our players in high esteem above all others but at the same time I'm happy to give props to deserving players from the opposing teams. It seems at times that the media will pick up some meme about a particular player and then every other network/ announcer piles on with the same stuff.

Craft plays with a high level of intensity no doubt but in my eyes a foul is still a foul. This year the rules have supposedly changed to eliminate/ cut down on hand checking. Apparently Craft has been excluded from having to adhere to the new guidelines. As I watched the Ohio State/ ND game Craft could be seen checking, swatting, punching at the opponent and the ball and in the closing seconds he pretty much threw his entire body at Jerian Grant and then had the audacity to act as though he expected not to be called for the foul.

When I listen to announcers celebrate Craft as some type of Uber ultra, All American, Woodenesque, defensive miracle incarnate, all the while watching him foul continuously without being held accountable it tests the limits of my sensibilities. Perhaps I have no clue as to what it is that constitutes a foul. The funny thing about that is other players are called for doing the things I watch Aaron Craft do. Why isn't he called for it? It's disturbing to me that there can be such a disparity in the way the rules are enforced among different players. I also cannot hold Aaron Craft in high esteem when I watch him play a brand of basketball that frankly we'd be better off not allowing.

For the past several years the media has hyped this kid to epic proportions. Hey, as a Syracuse fan to the max I hold our players in high esteem above all others but at the same time I'm happy to give props to deserving players from the opposing teams. It seems at times that the media will pick up some meme about a particular player and then every other network/ announcer piles on with the same stuff.

Craft plays with a high level of intensity no doubt but in my eyes a foul is still a foul. This year the rules have supposedly changed to eliminate/ cut down on hand checking. Apparently Craft has been excluded from having to adhere to the new guidelines. As I watched the Ohio State/ ND game Craft could be seen checking, swatting, punching at the opponent and the ball and in the closing seconds he pretty much threw his entire body at Jerian Grant and then had the audacity to act as though he expected not to be called for the foul.

When I listen to announcers celebrate Craft as some type of Uber ultra, All American, Woodenesque, defensive miracle incarnate, all the while watching him foul continuously without being held accountable it tests the limits of my sensibilities. Perhaps I have no clue as to what it is that constitutes a foul. The funny thing about that is other players are called for doing the things I watch Aaron Craft do. Why isn't he called for it? It's disturbing to me that there can be such a disparity in the way the rules are enforced among different players. I also cannot hold Aaron Craft in high esteem when I watch him play a brand of basketball that frankly we'd be better off not allowing.
I'm so sick of the bullshit he gets away with. I'm a hater because he gets away with it.

As I watched ND get slapped and whacked with impunity by OSU, my thoughts somehow went back to 3-24-2012.

Mine too. In addition, I had a foreshadowing that in March next year we hooked up with them in the tourney and TE fouled out with a minute and a half to go and a lead and this same crap went uncalled. Then I took a deep breath and remembered that, unlike ND, we at least have some forwards who can handle the ball as well. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

This game sealed it for me. Other than Syracuse Games I am not going to make an effort to watch or care about other College hoops games. I bleed Cuse hoops, but the love of the game is being sucked from me when I watch crap like this game tonight. Im emotionally done and will begin to watch more NBA games.

Craft systematically, traveled, fouled at least 5 times and balk repeatedly in the last 58 seconds of that game and got called for nothing. that is complete BS and ruins the game.

Im simply just done

This game sealed it for me. Other than Syracuse Games I am not going to make an effort to watch or care about other College hoops games. I bleed Cuse hoops, but the love of the game is being sucked from me when I watch crap like this game tonight. Im emotionally done and will begin to watch more NBA games.

Craft systematically, traveled, fouled at least 5 times and balk repeatedly in the last 58 seconds of that game and got called for nothing. that is complete BS and ruins the game.

Im simply just done
Don't quit it, continue to point BS out.

Twitter blowing up with idiots proclaiming him to be the best PG in college basketball and the best defender. Just makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

Maybe if we are lucky, one day Trevor will get the Craft, Jimmer, Morrison, Reddick treatment.

Not that I endorse coaches putting a goon on the floor for the exclusive purpose of pounding on another player, but if someone ever did that to Craft I would talk about how bush league it was to do that, but it would mostly be for show.

The problem is basketball is a fundamentally flawed sport. If the officials call too many fouls, people cry the games take too long. If they let play go, you end up with guys like Craft that abuse the rules because they know they can get away with it.

I'm not sure how you fix it, maybe requiring teams to play short for 30 seconds if a foul is committed. It cannot be fixed without a major, paradigm shifting change to the way the rules are enforced.

You really can't hope for more than the officials calling it the same way on both ends of the floor. They aren't perfect and they do try and make calls to the best of their ability-----which we know can sometimes vary considerably.

Actually, it would be more appropriate to say "Jay's always not right."

To each their own, but I think Bilas is one of the smartest and most articulate minds in not only college basketball broadcasting, but sports broadcasting period.

im always amazed the way games are called on reputation instead of actual game play-

this year more than ever it looks like the refs are trying to control the outcome of games-

this imho is because they are dead tired from being allowed to ref 5 games a week

I think jay will called him an nba player the other day. I look at his knuckle ball jump shot and just laugh.

I think he'll make a roster because of his defense. Yes, he fouls a ton, but he'd be a serviceable back-up to many teams because he's a pest.

I expect to get hammered for this but...if we had Aaron Craft, or a similar player, on our team would we feel differently? I suspect that at least some of our fans would say - "keep doing it until the refs start calling it" because it works to our advantage to have a player who disrupts the other team.
Perhaps some of us would take the high road and say we don't want a player like that.
I may be pissed at the officials for not making the calls but I find it hard to hate the player for taking advantage of their incompetence. Same thing with the media bias.
I know it's not the same thing, but I absolutely loved Devo because he was ours but knew that I would have hated him if he played for an opponent.
Feel free to beat on me for the next few hours while I'm away from my computer.

I expect to get hammered for this but...if we had Aaron Craft, or a similar player, on our team would we feel differently? I suspect that at least some of our fans would say - "keep doing it until the refs start calling it" because it works to our advantage to have a player who disrupts the other team.
Perhaps some of us would take the high road and say we don't want a player like that.
I may be pissed at the officials for not making the calls but I find it hard to hate the player for taking advantage of their incompetence. Same thing with the media bias.
I know it's not the same thing, but I absolutely loved Devo because he was ours but knew that I would have hated him if he played for an opponent.
Feel free to beat on me for the next few hours while I'm away from my computer.

I would feel embarrassed to have a player like Craft honestly. Devo was disliked because of his antics and perceived attitude not because he got away with murder while playing. Craft is beloved by the media and allowed to play this way because he is White. There I said it, and I feel strongly that I am right.

Craft and the way he is officiated make be dislike college hoops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom