Critics be consistent | Syracusefan.com

Critics be consistent

Alsacs

Living Legend
I haven’t been afraid to lay my criticism when I felt it was warranted.

When things have improved you better give credit.
Not many if any fans had real expectations this year.
We are better than I thought and losses suck but this team is a year away.
Their is reason for optimism for the future. I didn’t see it earlier this year but I see it now.
Obviously we have flaws that need to improve but the pieces are there and developing.

Just be consistent. People remember.

I see reason for optimism as well, but if Elijah moves on we’re in quite a bit of trouble again. Like Gibinje, he’s about as consistent a star contributor as we’ve seen in the past decade. I don’t think Buddy’s the type of scorer that can reintroduce the same consistency, as a lot of his game’s opened up by the D focusing on Elijah and adjusting to Marek.

that being said, Guerrier’s ceiling is high and Marek only continues to improve.

hoping Goodine and Girard can make a leap.

Hughes leaving leaves a big void because there really is not another wing who can be a go to, score from anywhere type player. Our best offensive teams have had that type of guy.

Carmelo, Nichols, Johnson, Joseph, Fair, Gbinije, Hughes.

Hughes leaving leaves a big void because there really is not another wing who can be a go to, score from anywhere type player. Our best offensive teams have had that type of guy.

Carmelo, Nichols, Johnson, Joseph, Fair, Gbinije, Hughes.
I think it'll look a lot different than Hughes, but Guerrier can shoulder a lot more scoring load.

Buddy continues to stink against good teams
Wrong or there aren't very many "good" teams as his avg doesn't seem to move a lot and he's still way up there in the ACC and National rating for 3 pt made

I think it'll look a lot different than Hughes, but Guerrier can shoulder a lot more scoring load.
I sure hope so.

Everytime I see Q working inside, all I see is Paul Harris - a talented but short power forward.

Per 40
Player A: 4.7/9.8 (.482), 11 Reb, 1.5 blocks, 65.8 FT%, 14 points, 5.4 PF
Player B: 5.0/11.5 (.433), 13.1 Reb, 1.1 blocks, 68.1 FT%, 15.9 points, 3.6 PF

Q puts more in the bucket percentage wise so far though, so I don't know. Harris improved, but not much. He still thought he could shoot a three, but couldn't.

Their is reason for optimism for the future. I didn’t see it earlier this year but I see it now.
Obviously we have flaws that need to improve but the pieces are there and developing.

I'm just happy that JB, the team and staff have proven me wrong in every aspect of the program. We're a year away from being a really good team. Wish we could get last night back with Hughes and Clemson back; but it's ok. We'll be fine.

given his size paul harris was pure hell unleashed on the glass.

Wouldn't Hughes be graduating this spring? This is his year #4 in college having played only three years. He would have to go to grad school to stay on the team right?

I think you're wrong on a few levels.

I thought the pre-season predictions were fairly optimistic. Not sure what you consider "real expectations," though.
"When things have improved?" "Give credit?" Here's the thing... A lot of people had their chests puffed-out when we were beating middling teams by 3 points. When we were approaching being 4th in a down conference, after a soft schedule, still with the most difficult games to come. And i guess the "critics" to which you refer kinda kept their mouths shut, not wanting to poo-poo it all and rain on the pollyanna parade. But, that's how it works. The pep rally crowd gets to say "I told ya so" with any semi-positive outcome. They get to say "JB's a genius!" for doing basic basketball stuff... And here's the other kicker: the genius stuff is all just the same stuff "the critics" have been calling for for years. But, it's like religion. When something good happens, god is great. When something bad happens, god had nothing to do with it and just 'didn't intervene.' A player develops mid way into the season—a season we started earlier than everyone else—and it's "look how JB benched him earlier and robbed him of his dignity and confidence, but now he's shining—all part of his great plan!"

Can't be "consistent," because the context and circumstances change every game, every day. The comments you don't like come in response to things that happen, or to people who post contrary comments. Consistent? That can only mean one thing, realistically—'rah-rah, all is good. Shut yer dirty mouth if you think otherwise.' Those guys are consistent.

I wish i could say "we're a year away." But, next year will have a new dynamic. If Eli returns, we have a chance to move up in the league. I don't expect him to return, though. Then, we're back a step, hoping for significant contributions from unexpected sources and saying we're a year away again.

I'm really curious about Jon Bol Ajak. I hope Jesse Edwards can maybe play some summer games overseas or something. I hope Quincy continues his upward trajectory, but i'm fearing we might have seen glimpses of the ceiling in these latest games. He'll improve his 3-ball, and be better, but i'm finding it hard to imagine him being the focal point. Someone likened him to Jerome Williams. I think that's appropriate. Which means we really need more—a more dynamic scorer, in the Eli mould.

Can Buddy get better? Joe will improve his percentage and shot consistency, but can we be productive with him being the man?

I think you're wrong on a few levels.

I thought the pre-season predictions were fairly optimistic. Not sure what you consider "real expectations," though.
"When things have improved?" "Give credit?" Here's the thing... A lot of people had their chests puffed-out when we were beating middling teams by 3 points. When we were approaching being 4th in a down conference, after a soft schedule, still with the most difficult games to come. And i guess the "critics" to which you refer kinda kept their mouths shut, not wanting to poo-poo it all and rain on the pollyanna parade. But, that's how it works. The pep rally crowd gets to say "I told ya so" with any semi-positive outcome. They get to say "JB's a genius!" for doing basic basketball stuff... And here's the other kicker: the genius stuff is all just the same stuff "the critics" have been calling for for years. But, it's like religion. When something good happens, god is great. When something bad happens, god had nothing to do with it and just 'didn't intervene.' A player develops mid way into the season—a season we started earlier than everyone else—and it's "look how JB benched him earlier and robbed him of his dignity and confidence, but now he's shining—all part of his great plan!"

Can't be "consistent," because the context and circumstances change every game, every day. The comments you don't like come in response to things that happen, or to people who post contrary comments. Consistent? That can only mean one thing, realistically—'rah-rah, all is good. Shut yer dirty mouth if you think otherwise.' Those guys are consistent.

I wish i could say "we're a year away." But, next year will have a new dynamic. If Eli returns, we have a chance to move up in the league. I don't expect him to return, though. Then, we're back a step, hoping for significant contributions from unexpected sources and saying we're a year away again.

I'm really curious about Jon Bol Ajak. I hope Jesse Edwards can maybe play some summer games overseas or something. I hope Quincy continues his upward trajectory, but i'm fearing we might have seen glimpses of the ceiling in these latest games. He'll improve his 3-ball, and be better, but i'm finding it hard to imagine him being the focal point. Someone likened him to Jerome Williams. I think that's appropriate. Which means we really need more—a more dynamic scorer, in the Eli mould.

Can Buddy get better? Joe will improve his percentage and shot consistency, but can we be productive with him being the man?
Anyone who expected more than being a bubble team this year isn't being honest.
The players have developed and gotten better.
The team wasn't good to start the year but the players have gotten better.

I am confident next year will be a top 25 team. I don't think Hughes is leaving unless he is getting drafted.

Next season depends on hiring Seth Towns or someone comparable to replace Hughes. Needing JGIII going off for 30 is not a recipe for success.

I am confident next year will be a top 25 team. I don't think Hughes is leaving unless he is getting drafted.
Why wouldn’t Hughes go to Europe and make $200,000? What’s the advantage of staying and losing a paid year?

Some of the players have developed and gotten better. Some. Some haven’t been afforded that option, so far as I can see.

I don’t think this team has a high a ceiling as people think.

We’re top 25 in offensive efficiency and atrocious on defense. Are we going to improve appreciably on defense next year? With the limitations our guards have I’m not seeing it.

I was fooled in 2017 and 2019. I’m going to have to see a top 25 team to believe it.

People who expected more than a bubble team weren't "dishonest." Just "wrong."
Of course, the players have developed. That's what players do.
The team was not good to start. I think it should have been better, given our advance start. But, two of our losses now look much better: Penn State and Iowa...

"Top 25 next year..." If Eli returns, maybe, but it's going to be hard for the people who making those rankings to stick us in there if we're not top 40 and in the ncaa field at the end of this year, given that we don't have expected 'impact' frosh coming in. Whether we can work our way up to top 25 kinda depends on a lot—including the quality of the competition. College ball kinda sucks this year. Maybe it will next year, too. It's all relative.

I am confident next year will be a top 25 team.
the problem with syracuse right now is when you say "team" you're talking basically about 4 players who log all the minutes . we got 4 guys in the ACC top 25 mpg. that's not a team. look up and the better programs in this conference all have players coming off the bench to contribute. duke ,fla st.and the cards have 3 dudes combined on that list. we get nothing from the bench and that wears down your starters. that's our biggest issue.

The key to next year is getting off to a good start early. That has been our achilles heel since 2016.

I sure hope so.

Everytime I see Q working inside, all I see is Paul Harris - a talented but short power forward.

Per 40
Player A: 4.7/9.8 (.482), 11 Reb, 1.5 blocks, 65.8 FT%, 14 points, 5.4 PF
Player B: 5.0/11.5 (.433), 13.1 Reb, 1.1 blocks, 68.1 FT%, 15.9 points, 3.6 PF

Q puts more in the bucket percentage wise so far though, so I don't know. Harris improved, but not much. He still thought he could shoot a three, but couldn't.
I think we saw last night what his game looks like when he's let off the leash. Without Hughes to rely on, he and Girard realized they needed to pick up the bucket getting. So while I'm a fan of using statistics, I think last night looks more like what he can be when he's permitted to have a scorer mentality than what he's shown the rest of the season, and I'm not really sure what his season long stats mean in that context.

Why we stopped working to get him the ball I really don't know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom