Crossover | Syracusefan.com

Crossover

miamicuse

Starter
What is the origin of the crossover move?

Iverson is known for it.

Tim Hardaway (Sr) said Iverson was holding the ball and his was the "Killer" crossover. He did say his was inspired by our Pearl.

Who did Pearl pick it up from?

I read somewhere that the big O was doing it in the 60s.

Has it ever been decided who made the first crossover move?

Caitlyn Jenner?
Nice. I had a @killer crossover” that I developed after watching Kenny Anderson in the late 80’s. He put three moves together, and I thought that was the future. I put together a three section move that put dudes on their ass. I know he picked up his moves from previous generations, but Kenny Anderson was unreal.

I imagine crossovers have been performed in some way since dribbling was mandated. How else do you switch hands and change direction quickly?
It’s all about getting the defender off balance. That’s where the triple move of JA caught my eye.

It’s all about getting the defender off balance. That’s where the triple move of JA caught my eye.
I miss the truly great dribblers that preceded the time when guys were allowed to start palming and carrying the ball. It's why I was never that impressed with Iverson's. Isaiah Thomas is a guy that gets overlooked sometimes. Because those Piston teams were so thuggish and I think quickly forgotten once Jordan ended their era, I think some forget how really athletic and skilled he was.

I miss the truly great dribblers that preceded the time when guys were allowed to start palming and carrying the ball. It's why I was never that impressed with Iverson's. Isaiah Thomas is a guy that gets overlooked sometimes. Because those Piston teams were so thuggish and I think quickly forgotten once Jordan ended their era, I think some forget how really athletic and skilled he was.
I agree, I never liked those Piston teams, because of the thug mentality.

We probably need to define what a crossover is to arrive at any kind of definitive answer. If we’re just talking about switching hands to get around a defender, that probably happened the day after dribbling became a thing.

I’d assume the question is really who was the first person to do it really well. Kinda like the chase down block. The first one was probably in 1940-something, but Lebron does it the best it’s been done so he’s the dude known for it. I’d bet you could talk to kids these days who would argue/guess the chase down block never happened before Lebron.

We probably need to define what a crossover is to arrive at any kind of definitive answer. If we’re just talking about switching hands to get around a defender, that probably happened the day after dribbling became a thing.

I’d assume the question is really who was the first person to do it really well. Kinda like the chase down block. The first one was probably in 1940-something, but Lebron does it the best it’s been done so he’s the dude known for it. I’d bet you could talk to kids these days who would argue/guess the chase down block never happened before Lebron.

th

I think that (our) Pearl is considered to be the first guy to bring it to the forefront. Hardaway says that’s where he got it. I never saw anyone do it as low to the ground as Pearl.
I can’t imagine that Earl “the Pearl” Monroe (a/k/a Black Jesus) didn’t have one in his repertoire.

It must have been a pretty good thing because we sure had to practice it enough in the 70s at bball camp. the evolution of the ball helps as well as now the carry is a non thing.

I would think Bob Cousy or the Trotters were the main ones doing that stuff early on. But Cousy passing is mostly what you see in his video highlights. bob cousy

Thos old balls were really hard to control.

It must have been a pretty good thing because we sure had to practice it enough in the 70s at bball camp. the evolution of the ball helps as well as now the carry is a non thing.

I would think Bob Cousy or the Trotters were the main ones doing that stuff early on. But Cousy passing is mostly what you see in his video highlights. bob cousy

Thos old balls were really hard to control.
Season 4 Dunder Mifflin Infinity GIF by The Office

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom