Cuban agrees with Stern | Syracusefan.com

Cuban agrees with Stern

This would be an advantage to Kentucky. Imagine having Wall, Cousins, Davis, Jones, and Lamb on your team

Wall and Cousins leave, replace with Poythress and Goodwin, maybe Shabazz

UK would have 8 lottery picks on their team each year instead of 4

I'm pretty sure lottery picks will not go to a team that already has 4 of them starting. The big thing with UK is it has 4 starting spots open up every year which is a great thing to sell to recruits.

those players go to kentucky because the players before them wont be there. you cant superimpose recent events onto a different scenario.

personally, i think all of this string-pulling just took a knot in the system and turned it into a total cluster catastrophe that they think they can now fix by pulling more strings. I don't understand what was so wrong with allowing kids to enter the draft out of HS, and there wasn't a fraction of the problems then that exist now.

Bottom line is NBA sucks and it's only purpose in life right now is f***ing up college basketball as much as they can. Everything they do will only make it worse.

Probably also the reason I hate NBA and never watch it.

Would it be possible to alter the rookie wage scale to encourage kids to get degrees?

So, for example, say you are the #1 pick and are currently entitled to sign (I'm guessing) for 4 years and $16 million. $4 million each year, no raise, to keep the math simple.

Can we change it so that a player with a college degree gets the full deal, while there's a declining scale for others? A one and doner, therefore, might max out at $1 million per year over 4 years.

From a constitutional standpoint, I don't see why this would not pass the "legitimacy" test. The discrimination is not based on race or another protected class, but rather on education, while no one's being denied the ability to "make a living", as if we have a constitutional right to million dollar jobs.

If they are physically and emotionally ready at 18 then they should be able to pursue a career of their choice. Now if a private business chooses to place an age limit on participation that's their choice. It's a foolish choice but it is a business decision. If the University system benefits from a private business's choice then good for them. Look at Wall Street. Most demand that a certain level of education is achieved. The Universities benefit. If Wall Street were smart they'd identify potential, hire early and train to their own systems.

What about how some businesses will hire you then pay for your masters degree as long as you stay with the firm for x amount of years. This protects the firm from investing 100K into a 22 year old to get a masters then seeing him leave immediately after with a free degree. Maybe the NBA should have a bonus for graduating? I'm not talking multimillion dollars, but something feasible and rational

those players go to kentucky because the players before them wont be there. you cant superimpose recent events onto a different scenario.

personally, i think all of this string-pulling just took a knot in the system and turned it into a total cluster catastrophe that they think they can now fix by pulling more strings. I don't understand what was so wrong with allowing kids to enter the draft out of HS, and there wasn't a fraction of the problems then that exist now.

Agreed. If Cousins, etc. are there, then they probably don't land Davis. Maybe, but probably not. They certainly wouldn't have landed Wall AND Knight AND Teague, so they wouldn't be able to stockpile talent like in the old days [80s].

This is an interesting topic--wouldn't mind seeing something like this, which is akin to the baseball system [on paper]. Some kids jump right to the pros out of high school, but those that go are locked in for 3 years. Not sure if that violates Spencer Haywood versus the NBA, though.

Agreed. If Cousins, etc. are there, then they probably don't land Davis. Maybe, but probably not. They certainly wouldn't have landed Wall AND Knight AND Teague, so they wouldn't be able to stockpile talent like in the old days [80s].

This is an interesting topic--wouldn't mind seeing something like this, which is akin to the baseball system [on paper]. Some kids jump right to the pros out of high school, but those that go are locked in for 3 years. Not sure if that violates Spencer Haywood versus the NBA, though.
True, but a third year John Wall is a LOT better than a freshman Teague, and third year Cousins and Orton just may be better than freshman Davis and who knows maybe they still get Jones.

This would be an advantage to Kentucky. Imagine having Wall, Cousins, Davis, Jones, and Lamb on your team

Wall and Cousins leave, replace with Poythress and Goodwin, maybe Shabazz

On the 2010 team Syracuse would have had Flynn, Greene, Johnson, Rautins, etc.
UK isn't the only school that would be loaded if this came to fruition.

Also, if a 3 year rule did come into play, then the NBA Draft would probably have to add another round or two.

Would it be possible to alter the rookie wage scale to encourage kids to get degrees?

So, for example, say you are the #1 pick and are currently entitled to sign (I'm guessing) for 4 years and $16 million. $4 million each year, no raise, to keep the math simple.

Can we change it so that a player with a college degree gets the full deal, while there's a declining scale for others? A one and doner, therefore, might max out at $1 million per year over 4 years.

From a constitutional standpoint, I don't see why this would not pass the "legitimacy" test. The discrimination is not based on race or another protected class, but rather on education, while no one's being denied the ability to "make a living", as if we have a constitutional right to million dollar jobs.

I would love to see some sort of incentive implemented to persuade athletes to go to and stay in school as long as possible. But, there are some pretty big obstacles. As far as the "legitimacy" test or discrimination potential, I think it could present some serious problems. What if the athlete simply isn't a candidate for secondary education? Perhaps he/she has a learning disability such as dyslexia? Or, due to family needs, a college education (even a free one) is not a realistic short-term option. Also there is the issue of how the college degree is truly earned, and where from. What kind of accreditation is necessary? How about international or even 3rd world athletes earning a degree at an obscure or unknown school? Again, I like the idea of incentivizing but it is incredibly complex and difficult, if not impossible, to have an umbrella "’X’ $s for ‘X’ level of education" policy.

Real jobs have educational requirements or equivalent job experience. Why can't the NBA? If a kid wants to play in the league then they need to either graduate college (which is better long term for everyone including the kids) or play 4 years in Europe first (which is better for the NBA as the kids can develop skills).

It is sad that good players are discovered as teens and never take HS academics let alone college seriously. There is no guarantee that you make the NBA. There is no guarantee that you have a long career. Everyone should strive to get an education but right now there is zero incentive. Also being educated will likely make players spend their money a lot wiser. Giving 19 year olds millions of dollars is just asking for trouble. Let them mature and be able to handle the $ and life style.