Culture of Losing | Syracusefan.com

Culture of Losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCusian

Living Legend
I've been following the goings on around here for a while and have been a fan since my first game 20 years ago at age 15. I remember McNabb and Freeney and Harrison. I am a townie who ended up going to school at "home" and live and breathe the Orangemen. I have watched enough and spent enough time studying the history of Syracuse Football to not lose hope in Doug Marrone.

The G.Rob era was by far the worst years to be fan. There was no hope - or only hope that came at the end of his potential firing. We all lived that, were ashamed. Doug lived that. When he was hired he talked at length, emotionally even - that it was painful to watch his school lose, and lose horribly.

When he falls on his sword at the end of loss, I see that same coach. That's one reason he deserves more time.

The second reason is simple. They are doing everything but winning. Sure, the play calling in the red zone, the penalties, special teams, and the turnovers are all horrible and need correction. Yesterday. But, the offense is not horrible (like I read on this board after each loss) and the defense is becoming formidable - especially to teams who base their game plan on running the ball.

I think there is still hope for a bowl game. UCONN, Temple, USF and a surprise (we go + in turnovers for once) against Lville, Cinci or Mizzou. It's not out of the question or impossible. We are also 1-1 in BE play. Stranger things have happened - put it all together and you never know.

Now - if you read any of this post and think "Yeah, right. We're going to lose the rest of our games and coach should be fired for inept play calling." Or some other over-the-top response, you may be contributing the "culture of losing." Winners look at the past to learn from their mistakes and have hope that the next game will be perfectly executed, resulting in a blow out. That's how you want the coaches and players to think, right?! If you look into the future of the program and see just crap, you're contributing to the culture of losing. Your attitude seeps into all kinds of areas - including our own locker room, and recruiting and ticket sales. It's crap. You can justify it by saying you need to hold the program accountable or something - but to me that's just an excuse. That's the AD's job.

I'm frustrated and am tired of losing too. But, for me - there's still hope. The sky is not falling and my bed will not be wet upon any time soon. If we lose the rest of our games in the same way, let's talk then.

I'm frustrated and am tired of losing too. But, for me - there's still hope. The sky is not falling and my bed will not be wet upon any time soon. If we lose the rest of our games in the same way, let's talk then.

The sky isn't falling, it already fell. Doug isn't the man for the job. At some point WINNING games matters! Doug doesn't win enough games. This year is already lost and its only the middle of October. Doug has failed...again.

The sky isn't falling, it already fell. Doug isn't the man for the job. At some point WINNING games matters! Doug doesn't win enough games. This year is already lost and its only the middle of October. Doug has failed...again.

Not sure how this year is already lost? They are 1-1 in the Big East. There are at least 3 very winnable games left. You made my point about the "culture of losing." That's exactly the kind of thinking that leads to a continually crappy program. Hopefully the players and coaches don't have this outlook. Sheesh.

Not sure how this year is already lost? They are 1-1 in the Big East. There are at least 3 very winnable games left. You made my point about the "culture of losing." That's exactly the kind of thinking that leads to a continually crappy program. Hopefully the players and coaches don't have this outlook. Sheesh.
They have beaten only Stony Brook and a bad Pitt team. SU has 1 win over an FBS team in the last calender year. This year is lost. It's over. SU isn't good enough to beat L'ville, Cincy, or Missouri. Right there you are at 7 losses. So,even best case if they sweep Temple, UCONN, and USF (Which I don't think they are capable of winning all 3) they are 5-7. That's a lost year! 5-7 is bad! Very bad considering they play in the god awful Big east! Odds are they are 4-9 or 3-10 in reality when all is said and done. Once again, a lost year.

When SU has won 1 game vs an FBS team in the last calendar year you can't sit here and say the year isn't lost yet when we are currently 2-4 with 1 of those wins being over a DIVIAA school.

They have beaten only Stony Brook and a bad Pitt team. SU has 1 win over an FBS team in the last calender year. This year is lost. It's over. SU isn't good enough to beat L'ville, Cincy, or Missouri. Right there you are at 7 losses. So,even best case if they sweep Temple, UCONN, and USF (Which I don't think they are capable of winning all 3) they are 5-7. That's a lost year! 5-7 is bad! Very bad considering they play in the god awful Big east! Odds are they are 4-9 or 3-10 in reality when all is said and done. Once again, a lost year.

When SU has won 1 game vs an FBS team in the last calendar year you can't sit here and say the year isn't lost yet when we are currently 2-4 with 1 of those wins being over a DIVIAA school.

Maybe you are incapable of thinking this way - but you're making my point for me. Looking ahead and writing off our chances against any team is contributing to the "culture if losing." It's a popular past time around here. If you we're coaching the team would you tell your players that?

It's fair to blame past losses on the coach. It's insane to attribute future losses to him ahead of time.

SU can beat any of the teams left on their schedule and obviously lose as well. I still believe a good season is right there in front of them and all they have to do is go and seize it because they are not going to have it handed to them. Now, if they are crying and can't get over the Rutgers game, they deserve to get their asses handed to them by UConn but they still control their own destiny and no team out there is that impressive...good but really much like rutty, they haven't played anyone really good other than USF/FSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom