Cuomo allowing pro sports to restart - Can NY college teams be far behind? | Syracusefan.com

Cuomo allowing pro sports to restart - Can NY college teams be far behind?

HtownOrange

Living Legend
If you want to get political, go to the numerous other threads.

Gov. Cuomo is allowing pro sports to restart:

Whether you agree, disagree, want this restriction or that restriction, it's all good, it's your opinion. This is NOT a political thread.

The question is simple: Do you think NY college sports is far behind?

My take is that schools are planning to re-open. If pro teams can practice, college teams can, too. I am not aware of a legal basis by which the governor could prohibit all NY colleges* from fielding teams.

For the record, I am not encouraging anyone who has concerns to attend any large public events (or small events, if their concern goes that far).

Regardless, on this one point, I think all sports fans agree with Cuomo: "We want people to be able to watch sports. To the extent people are still staying home, it gives people something to do. It's a return to normalcy."

*Yes, the State, and probably Gov. Cuomo, can block state colleges.

Not to be a wet blanket but Michigan's president chimed in today

Part of me thinks the schools really need to go with off campus and singles in the dorms where they dont have single rooms.. some schools have suits with separate bedrooms but try to eliminate as many on campus 2-3 to a room situations as they can..

If that means no freshmen than thats what it means. if things like testing and treatment happen then go to plan B.

But still think we have 2 months of change before decisions really get made.

Whether you agree, disagree, want this restriction or that restriction, it's all good, it's your opinion. This is NOT a political thread.

My take is that schools are planning to re-open. If pro teams can practice, college teams can, too. I am not aware of a legal basis by which the governor could prohibit all NY colleges* from fielding teams.

For the record, I am not encouraging anyone who has concerns to attend any large public events (or small events, if their concern goes that far).

Regardless, on this one point, I think all sports fans agree with Cuomo: "We want people to be able to watch sports. To the extent people are still staying home, it gives people something to do. It's a return to normalcy."

id think at worst being cautious with students for a max of 2 more weeks as arent some of the downstate colleges being used for emergency hospitals still?

There are differences pro vs college, beyond the direct payments to the athletes.

The NFL can survive playing in empty stadiums, as the bulk of their income is produced by television contracts. Without a live gate, many colleges will be in deep financial weeds.

College athletes will be able to play only if at least some of their non-athlete peers are on campus, attending classes. College administrators cannot, in good conscience, say that it's okay for the athletes to be on campus if it's too dangerous for other students to be there. The NFL has no constituency that is equivalent to the non-athlete student body.

There are differences pro vs college, beyond the direct payments to the athletes.

The NFL can survive playing in empty stadiums, as the bulk of their income is produced by television contracts. Without a live gate, many colleges will be in deep financial weeds.

College athletes will be able to play only if at least some of their non-athlete peers are on campus, attending classes. College administrators cannot, in good conscience, say that it's okay for the athletes to be on campus if it's too dangerous for other students to be there. The NFL has no constituency that is equivalent to the non-athlete student body.
Excellent post.

unless there is a major shift in cases back up , id think worse case is mixed virtual and in person classes. I dont know the class schedule for syracuse but i know at tc3 where i went most classes were 2 days a week so following that model in worse case 1/2 class is in person 1 day and virtual day 2

well they also seem to think its ok for research students to be on campus so are athletes all that different?

I was listening to satellite radio on the college sports channel a couple of days ago. They were doing a show focusing on the ACC and one of the guests was John Wildhack.

He wisely declined to engage in speculation regarding possible scenarios for the 2020 season. Said he thought it best to avoid that. Assured the host the ACC was preparing for many possible outcomes.

The thing I found most interesting was that he was asked if he thought it was possible to play the season in the event there were no fans in the stands. He said that while this was not ideal, he thought it was possible to play the season with no fans and could see things happening that way.

Good to hear this. I would make rather not be attend to go to any games and have a full season than have the whole season canceled.

Though on a personal level, it would be really hard for me to watch Syracuse play a whole season and not attend any games. Especially given all the new stuff added to the dome. Especially if the team happens to have a good year and earns a bowl game.

That would be tough but the scenario that would be most soul crunching would be if all that happened, except they allowed say 25% of the fans to attend and I did not make the cut.

I assume that the same lifetime points earned criteria used to assign slots for parking would be used in the event there was a need to limit crowd sizes. After giving students, administrators, player and coaches their share of tickets.

If there are going to be fans, realistically we have to expect social distancing rules will apply and at most, we will be allowed 25K in the dome. Capacity will likely be dropped to 12.5K or so. I am confident I will make the cut if 25K will allowed in. Not nearly as confident if the limit is 12.5K. I hope if this happens, they do not just give students say 4K every game and not penalize fans who had the right to attend and did not take advantage.

If we can only have 12.5K in the stands, we sure as hell better have 12.5K fans in the stands. Use it or lose it. That is how I think it should be done.

Can I purchase student tickets as a law student? If I can I’m thinking about hedging my bet by doing that on top of my family’s seasons

Can I purchase student tickets as a law student? If I can I’m thinking about hedging my bet by doing that on top of my family’s seasons
If you want to go to games this year, your best bet is to become a season ticket holder. I think it is very possible, even likely, that if you are not a season ticket holder, you will not be able to attend a game. Unless you can buy a ticket from a season ticket holder...

If you want to go to games this year, your best bet is to become a season ticket holder. I think it is very possible, even likely, that if you are not a season ticket holder, you will not be able to attend a game. Unless you can buy a ticket from a season ticket holder...
For sure, my family (myself included) has seasons for both football and basketball so I’m thinking if I can buy a student ticket on top of that my chances, personally, of getting into games are doubled.

the fans in the dome is really a tough one to answer right now for anyone. Any one know if the parking selection is going on as scheduled for early next month or did they push that back?

if there limiting capacity to under the season ticket base(~30k) then they will have to come up with a fair solution while also social distancing(think every other seat) as that is going to be a thing for the forceable future so going by just donor rank will probably not work

One thing though is that there is a huge number of lower deck STH that might not be willing to risk going and would be willing to sit out a yr, Might be a huge number in general.. it wouldnt surprise me if 50% wouldnt attend given the way things are today and that the seats will be move in general to some other location to spread people out.

Cuomo has education/sports in phase 4.. Does he lump that in with professional? Other professional services are phase 3.
Where are we? I could see a phase 3, with a 2 week cya quarantine. I do think a quarantine would be ineffective, based on living arrangements.

How much does amateur status, or living arrangements affect this?

Be nice to know...

if there limiting capacity to under the season ticket base(~30k) then they will have to come up with a fair solution while also social distancing(think every other seat) as that is going to be a thing for the forceable future so going by just donor rank will probably not work

I assume that some number of season ticket holders would decline to go based on health concerns (age, general fear etc). There’s no way my wife will let me take my kids to the games in the fall if there isn’t a treatment in place. I’m just assuming my tickets are a donation and if I get the chance to watch on TV, it’s a bonus.

I was listening to satellite radio on the college sports channel a couple of days ago. They were doing a show focusing on the ACC and one of the guests was John Wildhack.

He wisely declined to engage in speculation regarding possible scenarios for the 2020 season. Said he thought it best to avoid that. Assured the host the ACC was preparing for many possible outcomes.

The thing I found most interesting was that he was asked if he thought it was possible to play the season in the event there were no fans in the stands. He said that while this was not ideal, he thought it was possible to play the season with no fans and could see things happening that way.

Good to hear this. I would make rather not be attend to go to any games and have a full season than have the whole season canceled.

Though on a personal level, it would be really hard for me to watch Syracuse play a whole season and not attend any games. Especially given all the new stuff added to the dome. Especially if the team happens to have a good year and earns a bowl game.

That would be tough but the scenario that would be most soul crunching would be if all that happened, except they allowed say 25% of the fans to attend and I did not make the cut.

I assume that the same lifetime points earned criteria used to assign slots for parking would be used in the event there was a need to limit crowd sizes. After giving students, administrators, player and coaches their share of tickets.

If there are going to be fans, realistically we have to expect social distancing rules will apply and at most, we will be allowed 25K in the dome. Capacity will likely be dropped to 12.5K or so. I am confident I will make the cut if 25K will allowed in. Not nearly as confident if the limit is 12.5K. I hope if this happens, they do not just give students say 4K every game and not penalize fans who had the right to attend and did not take advantage.

If we can only have 12.5K in the stands, we sure as hell better have 12.5K fans in the stands. Use it or lose it. That is how I think it should be done.
Season ticket holders each get two games (or thereabouts) . One desirable game and one lesser game. Lottery. Spread out entry and seating.

Little more of an all - encompassing overview from the WSJ.

I think state dictates are one thing when it comes to high schools and kids and stuff. Said it somewhere else but I can see governors make exemptions / waivers for major college sports.

Little more of an all - encompassing overview from the WSJ.

I think state dictates are one thing when it comes to high schools and kids and stuff. Said it somewhere else but I can see governors make exemptions / waivers for major college sports.
The downside. If your argument is "That was 100 years ago--we've learned a lot since", think again. The primary public health response to a pandemic is the same now as it was in the Middle Ages vs. the plague-- shelter in place, maintain social distancing, cover your face. A vaccine would change things, but the development of same is no sure thing. (Plus, what percentage of the population will refuse any vaccine, period?)