Current Best Five? | Syracusefan.com

Current Best Five?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
This is going to change from game to game, or injury by injury, cold spell by cold spell, over the course of the season.

But right now, to me, heading into our first two games against P5 opponents, I really like these combinations of players:

BEST FIVE WITHOUT BUDDY AND SIDIBE:

G: Kadary
G: Joe
F: Griffin
F: Guerrier
C: Marek

BEST FIVE WITH BUDDY BUT NO SIDIBE:

G: Buddy
F: Quincy

BEST FIVE WITH EVERYONE HEALTHY AGAINST ELITE TEAMS:

F: Dolezaj
C: Sidibe

BEST FIVE FOR SCORING:

F: Woody

BEST FIVE FOR PRESS:

G: Woody
G: Griffin
F: Braswell
C: Anselem

I’m not sure Braswell is on any top 5 list of mine. I’d put Woody in for him on the press lineup. I agree on the rest.

The scoring lineup is loaded w shooters. I like!

The healthy top five feels like the strongest top 5 we’ve had in some time. Especially if Sidibe comes back fully healthy and no lingering issues other than getting in game shape. If he can play like he did toward the end of last year we would be in such good shape on the boards and defensively w/o playing 4 on 5 offensively because of a deficient C. The cherry on top is TALL guards. Ahh just what the zone needed!

Syracuse basketball is fun to watch again. Long road left and much yet to prove, but the pieces are there.

Last edited:
This is going to change from game to game, or injury by injury, cold spell by cold spell, over the course of the season.

But right now, to me, heading into our first two games against P5 opponents, I really like these combinations of players:

BEST FIVE WITHOUT BUDDY AND SIDIBE:

BEST FIVE WITH BUDDY BUT NO SIDIBE:

F: Quincy

BEST FIVE WITH EVERYONE HEALTHY AGAINST ELITE TEAMS:

F: Dolezaj
C: Sidibe

BEST FIVE FOR SCORING:

F: Woody

BEST FIVE FOR PRESS:

G: Woody
G: Griffin
F: Braswell
C: Anselem
I’m not sure how you can make the claim that Woody is the better option for scoring over Quincy. Perimeter scoring perhaps, but not overall scoring.

I’m not sure how you can make the claim that Woody is the better option for scoring over Quincy. Perimeter scoring perhaps, but not overall scoring.

If we're behind, I want more shooters on the floor. Plus, Griffin is better getting to the rim than Quincy - on the drive, obviously not from offensive boards. You could toss a coin and convince me, but if we ned to shoot ourselves out of a hole, I'll take Griffin, and Marek for his passing.

Richmond
Buddy
Griff
Quincy
Marek

If Sidibe is healthy, that lineup might get "big boyed" by some opponents, but that's one of our best groups, I agree.

I know I’m kinda changing the subject here and I’m not saying the this would be our best defensive lineup but it was refreshing to see the size of woody and Kadary at the top of the zone. It probably won’t happen often this year but man that has a lot more potential defensively than buddy and joe.

I have been thinking about this since the original post. I have no idea who would make up the best lineup. At this point, it looks like we have so many options. JB is going to be able to put together some great lineups based on whatever situation is thrown at him.

I just want Kadary paired with Buddy or Joe in the back court.

if we want to try a small ball version to go lineup of death, bump Buddy to the three, AG at the 4 and then either Q or Marek at the five. Not saying this is a good idea, but could be entertaining.

Richmond
Buddy
Griff
Quincy
Marek

Overall, it’s this IMO.

Certain games when Girard is hot, and/or the opponent is in a zone then maybe him for Kadary.

And there will certain games our best 5 will involve a healthy Sidibe at center. When that is the case, I think Griffin usually has to be one of the forwards due to his shooting. So Marek/Quincy becomes a tough call. The answer may depend on matchups and who is playing better that day.

As much as I like Newton, I don’t see where he’s in any of our best 5s at this point. We’ve got 3 good veteran forwards ahead of him.

Overall, it’s this IMO.

Certain games when Girard is hot, and/or the opponent is in a zone then maybe him for Kadary.

And there will certain games our best 5 will involve a healthy Sidibe at center. When that is the case, I think Griffin usually has to be one of the forwards due to his shooting. So Marek/Quincy becomes a tough call. The answer may depend on matchups and who is playing better that day.

As much as I like Newton, I don’t see where he’s in any of our best 5s at this point. We’ve got 3 good veteran forwards ahead of him.
The whole best starting 5 is subjective. You play teams with different styles of play.

My starting lineup: Joe and Buddy are interchangeable, assuming both are at the traditional “2,” meaning Joe doesn’t have to be the general. Same D, same shooting. Either is as likely to go off for a bunch of threes.

But I’d really love to have Griffin as a 2 instead.
Ideally,
PG: Kid-@ri
SG: Professah Griff
SF: Marek + I’ll take the Zero” New’N.
PF: Quincy
C: Mashed Potato(e) Knees

This team would beat any team with both Buddy and Joe

Play an 7-8 man wheel with people shifting positions and our centers giving rests instead of fouls,. It will frustrate teams on both ends of the ball and we have the heads. Mess with the matchups a bit, will bother opponents. I want to see Dolez up top for 4-5 stretch, buddy on the wing or newton for at least 4-5 both halfs. Guerrier at center for a few. Griff up top for 4-5 stretch. Drop back to last years tight 2,2,1 for half the time when Buddy Girard are at guard together focusing more on rebounding. Maybe some of Bol at PF. We have the centers, and at minimum 4 solid dribble penetrators every game. We got 4 guys who can break press off the dribble.Maybe Bras finds his shot again. Go with a backline of three trailers who can hit the three (Guerrier or Newton), and our best transition pushers playing guard, and have all 5 guys be a transition threat (out of both defenses). I know we used say this every year, but imo, this could be the year we get to tentative with this team, and sell ourselves short.

Last edited:
Best Five w Everyone Healthy - How can you omit Griffin ? He is probably our best overall player. Rest of the lists look pretty good to me.

Sixth man. Instant offense, a la Dion.

I know I’m kinda changing the subject here and I’m not saying the this would be our best defensive lineup but it was refreshing to see the size of woody and Kadary at the top of the zone. It probably won’t happen often this year but man that has a lot more potential defensively than buddy and joe.

I agree! If Griffin is 6-5, then Kadary looks 6-6. He seems an inch taller to me.

Woody has been really active up top, too. Lots to like with that pairing, for stretches of time.

I have been thinking about this since the original post. I have no idea who would make up the best lineup. At this point, it looks like we have so many options. JB is going to be able to put together some great lineups based on whatever situation is thrown at him.

And the hope is that he uses more than 1 or 2 of them.

Play an 7-8 man wheel with people shifting positions and our centers giving rests instead of fouls. It will frustrate teams on both ends of the ball and we have the heads. Mess with the matchups a bit, will bother opponents. I want to see Dolez up top for 4-5 stretch, buddy on the wing or newton for at least 4-5. Guerrier at center for a few. Griff up top for 4-5 stretch. Drop back to last years tight 2,2,1 for half the time when Buddy Girard are at guard together focusing more on rebounding. Maybe some of Bol at PF. We have the centers, and at minimum 4 solid dribble penetrators every game. We got 4 guys who can break press off the dribble. Go with a backline of three trailers who can hit the three (Guerrier or Newton), and our best transition finishers playing guard, and have all 5 guys be a transition threat. imo, we could get to tentative with this team, and sell ourselves short.

It would make us way less predictable. That's for sure.

My starting lineup: Joe and Buddy are interchangeable, assuming both are at the traditional “2,” meaning Joe doesn’t have to be the general. Same D, same shooting. Either is as likely to go off for a bunch of threes.

But I’d really love to have Griffin as a 2 instead.
Ideally,
PG: Kid-@ri
SG: Professah Griff
SF: Marek + I’ll take the Zero” New’N.
PF: Quincy
C: Mashed Potato(e) Knees

This team would beat any team with both Buddy and Joe

I think Buddy is the better shooter. He doesn't force it as much as Joe does.

JB is going to finish most games with:

Kadary/Joe
Buddy
Griff
Quincy
Marek.

Joe will still finish and play down the stretch because he’s a knock down free throw shooter in some games. I don’t see Sid finishing games unless it’s a situation where he’s playing out of his mind and it’s a defensive struggle. This is a prediction of past history with JB and how I think the season plays out. Offensively this lineup will kill anyone.