Living Legend
The job openings thus far:
UCLA
Southern Illinois
Tennessee Tech
Kennesaw State
Stetson
Cal Poly

Hoping a MAAC or American East job opens up that could interest a current member of our staff.
As we need a shakeup.

Autry son is graduating so I don’t see any reason for him stick around cause JB doesn't want him to succeed him

Autry was here well before his son was.

If he gets a head job, great.

Having 3 new assistants doesn’t seem like a recipe for success. You are the current king of H0T Takes.
We need to add one that is a proven offensive coach though, have to agree with that

I would love an offensive assistant like former Ohio State assistant Chris Jent.
He had a relationship with LeBron James and is described as a great offensive coach.

UCLA
Southern Illinois
Tennessee Tech
Kennesaw State
Stetson
Cal Poly

Hoping a MAAC or American East job opens up that could interest a current member of our staff.
As we need a shakeup.
Since most expect JB to coach only 3 more years, won't be so attractive to potential hires. Same with some recruits.

Just speculation at this point, but I would be shocked if Nebraska and Penn State don't open up in the Big 10. UNLV out west and maybe Texas A&M in the SEC off the top of my head

There isn’t an assistant in the country that will get to change JB’s offensive or defensive philosophy. He will do what he always does. He won’t change. You’re kidding yourself if you think a new assistant coach will change anything.
If JB won’t change we are screwed.
The status quo isn’t working and blaming it all on sanctions is bullchit.
Sanctions aren’t why our offense sucks.

There isn’t an assistant in the country that will get to change JB’s offensive or defensive philosophy. He will do what he always does. He won’t change. You’re kidding yourself if you think a new assistant coach will change anything.
Look at it this way. JAB is ultra competitive. That's why he is still coaching. He hates losing and he knows how painful it has been the last few years. He is very loyal to his assistant coaches and doesn't want to push them out of the nest. But he knows status quo equals a bubble team that doesn't sniff a top 25 ranking.

The assistant coaches are also very loyal to JAB. They have job security in Syracuse. Nice place to live and making decent money. But they also see their buddy Hop making some big money because he left the nest. They want a piece of the pie as well.

I think we could see change which both parties will embrace. JAB wanting a more experience recruiter and someone with the experience to help get the team to the next level. Red and GMAC grabbing a head coaching job to jump start their career, even if it is not as good a job as Hop was able to get. Both sides could benefit greatly.

Or, as you say, nothing changes and the big happy family continues with a team that loses some games they shouldn't and wins some games they shouldn't. Just enough to keep Orange Nation coming out in the dead of winter to have one of the most rabid fan basis in the country.

I endorse GMac for any and all of them.

He wanted the Siena job bad this past offseason. Called in all his favors to have people reach out to Siena and recommend him and all that.

Something to think about for anyone who throws his name out there as a potential Boeheim successor...

UCLA
Southern Illinois
Tennessee Tech
Kennesaw State
Stetson
Cal Poly

As we need a shakeup.
Gutsy

If JB won’t change we are screwed.
The status quo isn’t working and blaming it all on sanctions is bullchit.
Sanctions aren’t why our offense sucks.

I think even our current offense would make a big jump with a PG that can do something, though.

And just like last year, I still question how many “schemes” there are that would work with a bad PG and a bad offensive center.

He wanted the Siena job bad this past offseason. Called in all his favors to have people reach out to Siena and recommend him and all that.

Something to think about for anyone who throws his name out there as a potential Boeheim successor...
GMac isn’t a serious candidate for the next HC or if he is we are screwed.
The guy gets crap for his job as an assistant. I don’t think he is that bad as an assistant. I would call him adequate. Which is fine.
I don’t think he challenges JB at all though.
I like Autry more but Autry needs to up his game honestly.
He is the top assistant.
We need him to reel in some talent.

I think even our current offense would make a big jump with a PG that can do something, though.

And just like last year, I still question how many “schemes” there are that would work with a bad PG and a bad offensive center.
John Gillon was a good offensive PG and that offense was garbage unless White or other people were making tough jump shots.

You can’t run isolation basketball in college unless you have Duke or Kentucky NBA talent.
It’s not hard to defend. It just takes effort and flooding the paint.

John Gillon was a good offensive PG and that offense was garbage unless White or other people were making tough jump shots.

You can’t run isolation basketball in college unless you have Duke or Kentucky NBA talent.
It’s not hard to defend. It just takes effort and flooding the paint.

That offense was middle of the pack statistically, if I recall correctly.

And I don’t know if I’d call Gillon good. Decent. Way better than what we’ve had lately, but in terms of SU PG’s, he’s middle of the pack IMO.

That offense was middle of the pack statistically, if I recall correctly.

And I don’t know if I’d call Gillon good. Decent. Way better than what we’ve had lately, but in terms of SU PG’s, he’s middle of the pack IMO.
Watch Villanova or Iowa or peer programs play offense.
They move the ball and attack the opponent’s weaknesses by probing.
We don’t do anything to help our players on offense. The coaching is hard to see.
We are a well coached defensive team but the offense is all playground ish or unless the ball is in Marek’s hands. He passes the ball to players to attack.

GMac isn’t a serious candidate for the next HC or if he is we are screwed.
The guy gets crap for his job as an assistant. I don’t think he is that bad as an assistant. I would call him adequate. Which is fine.
I don’t think he challenges JB at all though.
I like Autry more but Autry needs to up his game honestly.
He is the top assistant.
We need him to reel in some talent.

Autry is the guy in my mind who should be free of any criticism. He’s been a beast bringing guys in since he got here and been carrying us in recruiting lately. The reasons we aren’t landing studs are reasons that have been mentioned by some here and are out of he or any of our assistants control.

Jerami, Mike G, McCullough, Ennis, Thompson, White III, Roberson (might be wrong on this one it could’ve been Hop I can’t remember for sure), Dolezaj, Frank, OB, Guerrier, Carey are all Red ‘s guys off the top of my head. Not to mention he had us in great shape with Matt Coleman but we chose the Quade strategy. Had us in great shape with Jamal Murray too but Boeheim for whatever reason didn’t press for him.

Autry is the guy in my mind who should be free of any criticism. He’s been a beast bringing guys in since he got here and been carrying us in recruiting lately. The reasons we aren’t landing studs are reasons that have been mentioned by some here and are out of he or any of our assistants control.

Jerami, Mike G, McCullough, Ennis, Thompson, White III, Roberson (might be wrong on this one it could’ve been Hop I can’t remember for sure), Dolezaj, Frank, OB, Guerrier, Carey are all Red ‘s guys off the top of my head. Not to mention he had us in great shape with Matt Coleman but we chose the Quade strategy. Had us in great shape with Jamal Murray too but Boeheim for whatever reason didn’t press for him.
So JB is hurting Autry in recruiting?
I like Autry and clearly prefer him to GMac but I was putting the standard of he is the top guy.
Autry has had assistant jobs at other schools so I don’t doubt him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom