Curry, Quinn, Lipka | Syracusefan.com

Curry, Quinn, Lipka

Orangtiz

Starter
Curry, Quinn, Lipka should be the 2nd line mid.

Lane looked tentative out there. We've seen what he is throughout his 4 year career here. I think that Desko and Donahue really screwed up his career by converting him to a middie from attack, to me his body type resembled an Ian Dingman type when he came to Cuse, he was like 6-6/7 240.

Simmons had two shots saved because they were right at the goalie. I like him and his game, he's pretty crafty and makes heady cuts to get himself open. But he has always struggled to put the ball in the back of the net when he is 1-on-1 with the goalie. This happened twice against Bingo.

On the other hand, Curry is quicker than hell. Quinn looked like he has a great understanding of the game, that bounce shot was filthy, and followed that up later with a really nice low to high rip. Lipka was the most surprising guy to me out there. He played really well in my opinion and seemed to have a good understanding of the offense.

If this is the case, that would mean that of the first two middie lines, 4 would be freshman, and 2 would be sophomores.

I think I'd defer to the coaches at this point considering they see who's who in practice and lets also concede that Bingo was awful. The lights come on this weekend.

With the competition the way it is, you can't slip up or somebody will replace you. It elevates everyone's game. Although I think the kids who played in garbage time are squarely behind the others.

Lane is slow and can't dodge. He is what he is at this point. I have no problem with him on the man up unit but I think we are going to see Quinn and Lipka moving up the ranks before this season is over. They are both difference makers IMHO. That second goal by Quinn was a thing of beauty.

Lane is slow and can't dodge. He is what he is at this point. I have no problem with him on the man up unit but I think we are going to see Quinn and Lipka moving up the ranks before this season is over. They are both difference makers IMHO. That second goal by Quinn was a thing of beauty.

Lipka played quite a bit, but I didn't see anything yet from Quinn that made me think difference maker. There is a bunch of middies playing in front of him.

Quinn was inverted, drove pipe and the defender got his feet crossed and fell down. I think Quinn's move partially contributed to that but I also have to consider it was against a Binghamton 3rd stringer as they were also playing their subs. I'm not sure Quinn will even see the field this weekend.

Lipka played quite a bit, but I didn't see anything yet from Quinn that made me think difference maker. There is a bunch of middies playing in front of him.

Quinn was inverted, drove pipe and the defender got his feet crossed and fell down. I think Quinn's move partially contributed to that but I also have to consider it was against a Binghamton 3rd stringer as they were also playing their subs. I'm not sure Quinn will even see the field this weekend.

Thought i'd point out #10 who Quinn beat for his second goal was a starting dmid and was on the field for the first defensive shift of game for Bingo

Thought i'd point out #10 who Quinn beat for his second goal was a starting dmid and was on the field for the first defensive shift of game for Bingo

yes actually it was #10, thanks for pointing that out. I was wrong.

I just watched it again. It was about as bad a defense as one can play. #10 pushed Quinn out and then falls over flat on his face. His feet don't even get tangled.

yes actually it was #10, thanks for pointing that out. I was wrong.

I just watched it again. It was about as bad a defense as one can play. #10 pushed Quinn out and then falls over flat on his face. His feet don't even get tangled.

I get that you don't think much of Quinn. But, that was a GREAT shot. SU needs that kind of outside shooting because better defenses will be all over Bomberry like a cheap suit when he tries to set up on the crease.

I wouldn't expect to see him against Albany either as we're very likely to see only the 1st and 2nd attack and mid lines in what should be a very tight game. That said, I think the kid's got "it". Both of his goals were really nice looks good D or bad. In the arc of his career here, sans injury, I think he can be big.

I get that you don't think much of Quinn. But, that was a GREAT shot. SU needs that kind of outside shooting because better defenses will be all over Bomberry like a cheap suit when he tries to set up on the crease.

No actually you're wrong that I don't think much of him. I have reasonable expectations for Quinn and have said he'll be a fine player in time. This began a while ago as people were penciling him in to start and I was merely pointing out some knowns and trying to temper expectations. Now after a few minutes of play against a terrible team people are again raising expectations (difference maker) when in actuality he had one shot everybody should make and the other one which was a good play; one of many by a lot of youngters.

I think Quinn will be a really solid player and I targeted his junior year. There are a lot of freshman and sophomores ahead of him right now. I'm rooting for him though because I’m a little sick of the deity status Luke Goldstock carries out here, but I'm still going to call it like I see it.

I just don't want to see people calling him a bust if he doesn't end up meeting expectations.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect to see him against Albany either as we're very likely to see only the 1st and 2nd attack and mid lines in what should be a very tight game. That said, I think the kid's got "it". Both of his goals were really nice looks good D or bad. In the arc of his career here, sans injury, I think he can be big.

His first goal he picked up a rebound and buried a wide open 15 yard bounce shot. It was ordinary. I was happy to see him bounce it though, just like I was when Lane did the same thing..

I saw Quinn bounce a number of shots from up top during his HS run. He's a smart player, fundamentally sound.

No actually you're wrong that I don't think much of him. I have reasonable expectations for Quinn and have said he'll be a fine player in time. This began a while ago as people were penciling him in to start and I was merely pointing out some knowns and trying to temper expectations. Now after a few minutes of play against a terrible team people are again raising expectations (difference maker) when in actuality he had one shot everybody should make and the other one which was a good play; one of many by a lot of youngters.

I think Quinn will be a really solid player and I targeted his junior year. There are a lot of freshman and sophomores ahead of him right now. I'm rooting for him though because I’m a little sick of the deity status Luke Goldstock carries out here, but I'm still going to call it like I see it.

I just don't want to see people calling him a bust if he doesn't end up meeting expectations.
Lol. I know where you're coming from i.e. Goldstock. I agree with you expectations need to be tempered. He came out with the fourth line and that group will likely not see the field much Saturday. There are 2 freshman on the 1st and 2nd lines along with at least 1 redshirt freshman but there is room to move up certainly during the course of the year.

Different kids develop at different paces. He's talented.

There were some high expectations for Quinn coming in based on his highshool career and UA selection. I think most people like myself expected some of the frosh to break out and Dordevic and Curry have done exactly that. This is a great situation for Quinn because it allows the staff to bring him along early while they work to refine his game and perhps his physical status (weight) as well. I won't read to much into what he did in the 4th with SU up 15 goals but he definitely looked the part and I think is headed for big things here. I wouldn't be surprised if he was potentially challenging for some PT by the end of the year especially if Simmons and Lane struggle or if SU starts to see a lot of zone. Quinn is a very heady player with a big shot, perfect for a zone offense.

I think at this stage you are all correct, going from past seasons I think the coaches always give the senior players a chance to play in the second or first line and so they should, they have learnt the offence and put in the hours, it’s down to Carlin, Lane, Simmons, Romano etc to solidify their place.

I know one thing if I was coaching and given I’m not at practice or know the ins and outs but Carlin and Lane would not be on my second line! I think Simmons and Romano could still contribute

The Coaches have been brave in throwing the youngsters into the first line, however if you do this without giving the older players the opportunity to play and prove themselves that sends a bad message to the team and future recruits, it also puts a lot of pressure on freshman like Quinn and Curry, (Lipka is RS so is a little easier for him) it takes time to learn the offence. As the saying goes it will all come out in the wash!

Example: someone like Seebold would be playing at many other schools but it will take time I heard Desko still shouting directions to him in last weeks game.

Last edited:
Ive asked Brian Higgins (on Twitter) to ask Coach Desko about Lauder!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom