Cuse Awards | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Awards

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
The SU AD office has an annual event that appears to be patterned after the Oscars where all active SU athletes are invited to Goldstein Auditorium (they are supposed to dress formally and some do) for a show that focuses on the SU sports programs. All sorts of awards are presented...teams of the year, players of the year, shots of the year, games of the year, coaches of the year, etc.

The All Americans are honored, as are the teams that won conference championships, there is a courage award given, etc. Pretty cool event. It was held last night and was televised live on Time Warner.

Didn't see the whole event but here are a few things I did see...

Women's coach of the year was Ange Bradley, the field hockey coach. They were in the top 5 all season, I think, won the Big East regular season and made it to the Final Four. Think they won the Big East 3 of the past 4 years.

Men's coach of the year was shared between JB, who was at an ACC charity event and not able to accept his award in person, and soccer coach Ian McIntyre, whose team was also named most improved team. They went from 3 wins in 2011 to 14 in 2012, and got to the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament before losing to NC finalist Georgetown.

Female player of the year was Kayla Alexander. The male player of the year was Ryan Nassib. Ryan is with the Giants already so at one point, his cousin Joe ran up and accepted one of Ryan's awards for him (he won a bunch, including malt student athlete of the year).

The women's tennis team won the award for best GPA for the second straight year.

They also had a long segment where all the coaches were interviewed about their thoughts of joining the ACC next season. To a person, they were excited by the new challenges presented by the quality of the new league and looking forward to the move.

The Syracuse 8 Courage Award was given to outgoing Chancellor Nancy Cantor, who was praised effusively by Floyd Little and Daryl Gross for her support of athletics and making SU a place very open to admitting students from all types of backgrounds. The Chancellor made a brief speech, telling the athletes this is not about her but about them, and how proud she was of them and what they had accomplished. Pretty emotional moment.

BMK won the Orange Nation award (funny bit in there were they showed pictures of him photoshopped on the field with SU athletes in a variety of sports).

The AAs this year were Nassib, Laura Hahnfeldt (FH), Alyssa Murray, Becca Block and Michelle Tumolo (women's lax). Tumolo won a couple other awards and at one point kiddingly complained about being forced to walk all over the place on her torn ACL (best wishes to her for a full recovery).

Most popular presenters might have been Corey Parker and Veronica Dyer. Corey has just returned to SU (believe he was in private practice in the area for a while). The female athletes love Veronica and when told it was her birthday, gave her an enthusiastic greeting.

Nice to see the athletes all dressed up. Nice to see many on the staff of the AD office present awards, and nice to hear some of the lesser known coaches talk about their players and programs. If coaching women's softball doesn't work out, Jenna Caira should go to Hollywood and become an actress. She has mad skills.

Link to SU Athletics Story on Cuse Awards

Very nice recap, Tom. It is nice to see recognition for the so-called lesser sports. In addition to watching SU's big three sports, I have enjoyed watching the women's bball and lacrosse on tv and Orange All-Access.

When Corey Parker left SU in the early 2000's I believe, he along with Mike Gerber (former SU S&C employee) started a company called Strength in Motion which trained local high school and college athletes.

Thanks for the recap Tom. Sounds like a great event.

Thanks. Watched some of it on OAA (for free) this morning. Nice. See what you mean by some dressed formally...BB team;)

That's awesome. I had no idea SU had a Malt Student Athlete of the Year.

I love Malts!!

Chocolate-Malt.jpg

They started it in 2008 I believe and had it downtown at the Oncenter? It was a fun time, glad to see they are still doing it.

Thanks, Tom! You really do make it so much easier for the out of towners to get our SU fix. We owe ya

Frankly, he makes it easier for none of us to ever have to shell out any money to attend these things.

There's that too, lol. If he added pictures to his recap, we would really be set!

Gale Sayers won the first National Malt Student Athlete of the Year. Colt 45!!! :)
i think you mean the man who played Gale Sayers...

Billy-Dee-Williams-Colt-45.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom