Cuse bball and Direct tv | Syracusefan.com

Cuse bball and Direct tv

PFCuse14

Walk On
I live in the Albany area and watch most cuse games on tw 3. I am considering getting direct tv with my only hesitation being that I would lose access to time Warner sports. Can anyone with direct tv help me out. I currently can watch almost all su bball and football games. If I switch will I still be able to get all the games on direct tv? Thank you

Assuming you're not subject to black out, you can watch pretty much every non-national game on SNY, MASN, MSG, 0r similar regional channels. After the move to the ACC, however, who knows how things will work.

I live in the Albany area and watch most cuse games on tw 3. I am considering getting direct tv with my only hesitation being that I would lose access to time Warner sports. Can anyone with direct tv help me out. I currently can watch almost all su bball and football games. If I switch will I still be able to get all the games on direct tv? Thank you

I live in Minneapolis, so getting DirecTV was a necessity to get access to SU telecasts. It has worked out very well for me for football, lax, and hoops.

You won't be able to get ALL the games, especially some of the early season telecasts for hoops. Sometimes, these are offered on ESPN3 or suathletics.com. Some of the early season football games are lackluster and might not be covered, either. But SNY has carried a TON of games this year that otherwise might not be covered by ESPN's college hoops package.

The lone downside is the cost, as you'll have to subscribe to sports packages that make for expensive monthly bills. But since I live outside of New York state and don't have access to "local" or TW telecasts, having DirecTV has been a godsend. Obviously, I have no idea how DirecTV coverage compares to what is available to you in Albany.

The absolute best combo for Syracuse University sports is DirecTV (add the sports tier) in combination with an ISP that gives you access to ESPN3. You'll get 95% of the games each year, including the scrimmages.

I've lived out of CNY for close to 20 years, and that is pretty much the only combo that works without fail.

SNY typically runs the Syracuse "Coaches Corner" once or twice a week, so you won't miss that TW sports production. The only thing you will really lose out on are the local high school sports games that TW carries (but who really cares).

I live in Minneapolis, so getting DirecTV was a necessity to get access to SU telecasts. It has worked out very well for me for football, lax, and hoops.

You won't be able to get ALL the games, especially some of the early season telecasts for hoops. Sometimes, these are offered on ESPN3 or suathletics.com. Some of the early season football games are lackluster and might not be covered, either. But SNY has carried a TON of games this year that otherwise might not be covered by ESPN's college hoops package.

The lone downside is the cost, as you'll have to subscribe to sports packages that make for expensive monthly bills. But since I live outside of New York state and don't have access to "local" or TW telecasts, having DirecTV has been a godsend. Obviously, I have no idea how DirecTV coverage compares to what is available to you in Albany.
The DirecTV sports tier costs about $10 or $12 a month...a pretty small price to pay to get your SU fix. You can always cancel it at the end of March to save $50 or $60 over summer when those channels are worthless.

The DirecTV sports tier costs about $10 or $12 a month...a pretty small price to pay to get your SU fix. You can always cancel it at the end of March to save $50 or $60 over summer when those channels are worthless.

I also subscribe to the ESPN game day [college football] and whatever they call the college hoops package, both of which are more expensive than that, on top of the sports tier [which gives me access to the fox regional channels, etc.]. On a non-SU related note, I also get the NFL sunday game ticket. In total, they increase my bill by more than $100 per month from September through March [football and hoops season], but those charges drop off from April - August.

But agreed--the cost is well worth it to me to get access to those games.

If you live in a market that has Time Warner Cable as the main cable provider (ie, you get the TW Sports Channel, and YNN) you won't get the SU games on SNY or MSG, or MASN (the sports package that is about 10 bucks a month extra). Those games will be blacked out.

You can always get the ESPN Game Plans for football and basketball which costs a decent deal more, and will actually cost you more money then TW overall. Time Warner has a lot of money tied up in the Sports Channel and don't want Direct TV's sports package infringing on their business.

If you live in a market that has Time Warner Cable as the main cable provider (ie, you get the TW Sports Channel, and YNN) you won't get the SU games on SNY or MSG, or MASN (the sports package that is about 10 bucks a month extra). Those games will be blacked out.

You can always get the ESPN Game Plans for football and basketball which costs a decent deal more, and will actually cost you more money then TW overall. Time Warner has a lot of money tied up in the Sports Channel and don't want Direct TV's sports package infringing on their business.

My brother lives in syracuse market and recently switched over to Direct TV from Time Warner and has not had a single game blacked out on SNY/MASN/MSG yet this year. This was a big question I had because I love Direct TV with sports pack, but I'm out of market.

I live in Apalachin and have direct TV. Last night i watched the game on channel 681 altitude. It is
a new sports station in the midwest. SNY, Masn, MSG or ESPN College package generally carry all SU games.
TW carries previous SU games which is nice but nothing bets direct tv. I have not been blacked out yet.

I also subscribe to the ESPN game day [college football] and whatever they call the college hoops package, both of which are more expensive than that, on top of the sports tier [which gives me access to the fox regional channels, etc.]. On a non-SU related note, I also get the NFL sunday game ticket. In total, they increase my bill by more than $100 per month from September through March [football and hoops season], but those charges drop off from April - August.

But agreed--the cost is well worth it to me to get access to those games.
You clearly are not married, RF... ;)

You clearly are not married, RF... ;)

I'm sorry to report that my wife is a die hard, die hard Ohio State fan--so we BOTH need DirecTV's sports coverage!

No problem with DirecTV here in Liverpool, NY. There have been no blackouts for SU games. Yesterday's game was on at least 3 DirecTV sports channels.

Question for those of you in CNY with DirecTV...

Did they used to black out Syr football and basketball games on SNY/MGS/etc that TW was also broadcasting on their TW Sports channel?

I don't believe they are blacking out anymore due to the new deal or whatever it is with SNY, but believe they did in the past (as recently as last year). Is this correct?

The reason I ask is that we have DirecTV up at our camp in Old Forge. The mailing address on the account is our address here in Syracuse. Time Warner CNY is available up there in town but last I checked they don't run it to where we are (about 6 miles up S.Shore Rd towards Inlet). Used to have games blacked out all the time and was real annoying. Every time I would call their customer service (in Arkansas I believe..) and argue with someone for 20 minutes to no avail...telling them I was in the middle of the woods and I had no other options. Sometimes I would get around it be purchasing individual Saturay GamePlan packages for football but often would be screwed. This year hasn't seemed to be anything blacked out.

Just curious for those of you who use DirecTV regularly. I would seriously consider switching to it at home from TW if it would not impact viewing of Syracuse games.

MSG..NFL Netowrk..NFL Full Ticket...so much more offered on DirecTV...

and we do have season tix this is for the road games and some home games where we cannot get someone to watch the kids!

I live near albany as well and I'm also contemplating moving to DirectTv from TW. Anyone have any idea how the move to the ACC will effect things? I'm assuming the games (especially) football that were previously on SNY will now be on some other channel and what network would that be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom